Author Topic: Things about which I have No Clue  (Read 9072 times)

Michael Hannan

Things about which I have No Clue
« on: February 16, 2015, 03:30:59 AM »
Here are some photos of things I have found that I need help identifying the use for.

#1 - Antennae for the awning remote or some sort of power source?

#2 - It appears that the slide out topper can extend downward somehow.  Yes?

#3 - Cleat but for what on the slide out?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Things about which I have No Clue
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »
In 1. you should have the hand crank somewhere, probably in your basement compartments.  In 2. and 3. you should have a pull down handle (called a cane) for the awning somewhere in your basement compartments.

1. The attachment point for the hand crank if your automatic awning stops being automatic.  I have not used the hand crank.  I hope I never have to use it, but I do have it.  I have been told it is good to manually snug-close the automatic awning using the hand crank after it has closed with power before traveling.  My awning closes snugly on its own so have never manually snugged it up.

2. You have Carefree of Colorado toppers with window shades - all in one.  The window shade part must be pulled down after releasing the plastic locking collar which locks it in the up position.  There is a plastic locking collar at each end.  In your picture, see the Phillips screw protruding out of the oblong hole in the plastic locking collar.  The locking collar slides up and down the length of that oblong hole.  Locking collar up is unlocked, locking collar down is locked.  I see in your picture the locking collar is up - unlocked.  If you have not been using the window shade, then it should be locked with both locking collars down.  Use the pull down cane to push up (unlock) for opening the awning, and pull down (lock) the plastic locking collar to lock the awning in its closed position for traveling.

In the center of the awning's length you will see a larger oblong hole.  The pull down strap should be protruding from that hole.  That strap has a rubber grommet on the end which you will hook with pull down cane, then pull it outward and downward until the hold down straps will reach to the hold down hooks.

3. There should be one of these awning hold down hooks at each end the awning.  When the awning is manually pulled down, two hold down straps should come out - one at each end - as the awning unrolls downward.  The straps get attached to the hold down hooks.  Sometimes the straps don't fall down into a hanging position.  Use the pull down cane to gently hook them and pull them down.

Where are you located?  Perhaps someone is close to you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:51:17 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael Hannan

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 03:55:41 AM »
Thanks David.  I think I saw one hand crank in the basement. I'll have to take a look.  I'm in Comox on Vancouver Island.  Not sure if there are any other Beaver owners around or not.  I'll update my signature to show my whereabouts.  Thanks again.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22:09 AM »
Page 7 of this pdf file should answer your questions 2 and 3.

http://www.e-carefree.com/documentation/tech/discontinued/053548-002r1.pdf   

Sometimes, the pull strap will be up in the cover out of sight.  The wind blows it up inside while going down the road and I have had to pull the question mark bars down by hand to get to the strap.

Michael Hannan

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
Thanks Roy.  Much appreciated.

MJ

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Having had Carefree awnings with which you had to use the pull down strap, I, upon the recommendation of others, made a pull down that had a 1/2 loop about 6-8" in diameter 8 feet long and a circle for a handle at the other end.  I put plastic around the handle and determined which end of the awning had the spring load on it.  I then used the 1/2 loop around the metal part of the awning and never had to worry about the pull down strap getting wrapped up again.  It worked great and when I switched to Girard awnings, I gave that pull down to another Beaver with Carefree awnings.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Michael Hannan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »
Roy, I'm guessing the Girard awnings are automated?  I don't have an awning over the front door and was thinking of getting a Girard for that.  If they aren't priced beyond my pensioned butt, I may look at replacing the other non-Girard ones too.  Are they installable by a semi-handy owner?

Thanks

MJ

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 02:10:31 AM »
Mike,

Go on the Girard web site and download the manuals,(girardrv.com)  The large living room awning has a few bells and wistles, not only is it large it is heavy. and you have two control boxes and a wind indicator to mount on the roof. You have to get 120 volt to the control boxes, on my Thunder it is mounted on the living room slide and the control boxes are up in the front of the cabinet above the couch.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
Lee,
Mike's Marquis was factory equipped with a Girard patio awning. His question was referring to the slide topper (no power needed), door, and window awnings.

Mike,
Although it is possible for a coach owner to install a complete Girard awning package, it is above the skill level of the average do-it-yourself owner. However, if you are a good automotive painter and electrician with access to someone to help in the mounting process, you can do the installation yourself, but it will still not be cheap. Having someone install a Girard awning package on your coach will be well north of $15,000, and most of that is parts.

Gerald 

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
Mike - Look here for examples of Girard awnings that are available.   http://www.girardawning.com/index.php

I have a powered Girard window awning over my non-slide (curb side) bedroom windows.  It works well and has a wired-in switch.  You likely have the same awning over your bedroom window.  The newer models you will see in the Girard website have wired-in switches and remote switches, and the remotes can be programmed to operate one awning or several awnings, all at once or individually.  These window awnings are customizable to length from 2 feet to almost 16 feet, so you can order the exact length for your application.

I looked into replacing the two Carefree of Colorado awnings on my street side slides (living room and bedroom slides) and if memory serves they would cost near $5k just for the hardware, then someone would have to mount them and wire them in.  It was over a year ago that I researched them, so don't trust my price guess.  My price guess might be for one awning - I just don't remember.  I first saw a Marquis in Blanchard, ID in Sep, 2013 at a rally that had both its Carefree of Colorado awnings (street side) replaced with powered awnings - much more convenient for us old, retired and lazy RV owners.  lol

The problem with the Carefree of Colorado awnings we have is they are obsolete and parts are hard to locate.  The "question mark" pipe, I am told, to near impossible to locate.  I was told that CJ's RV Repair in Yuma has a supply of "question mark" pipes of which I think they are proud.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!