Author Topic: Having trouble locating part - 2000 Beaver Marquis Tourmaline Torque Plate  (Read 13771 times)

Gorde Lang

• BAC Member
We just bought a used 2000 Beaver Marquis Tourmaline. It has been in various shops ever since we bought it. It has been plagued with different problems that we have already addressed. But, now we are at an impasse. We have the Coach at the Beaver Sales and Service in Bend, Oregon. Its been there for 7 weeks. We are at the end of our rope. We have had a lot of issues taken care of but the Service department has run into a snag. The part that is needed is a Torque Plate for the left side of a Blue Diamond D series Chassis. part # A3215Y1195. Apparently, it is bent about an 1/8 of an inch so the other parts cannot be attached. This is what they said. They have scoured the states for the part, even salvage yards.  :-[

I have said all that to say this: Is there a way that the part would could be bent back to be straightened? We are dead in the water if we can't enjoy our RV. Please help we are Newbees and would love any help here.

Thanks, Gordon and Belinda Lang
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:30:44 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »
2012 Winnebago Tour

Tom and Pam Brown

Please explain the torque plate.  Where is it mounted and what is its function?

Gorde Lang

• BAC Member
The torque plate bracket supports the rear calipers. This bracket slips onto axle then taapers down both  left &right to support 2 sets of calipers, which then apply pressure to brake pads against discs.The main body is 1/2" thick which slips over axle, the 2 ears left &right are 1.5" thick with a hole in the middle to accept pins to hold calipers. I am no mechanic so please be patient with me. We are told there is an alignment problem aprox 1/8".with new pads in calipers they slide over discs.
2012 Winnebago Tour

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Gorde,
Not positive but I would bet that any SMC chassis would have these since to my knowledge all had rear disc brakes. Maybe a member more familiar with SMC chassis can confirm or correct me.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

Gorde,
It sounds like your are describing the part that we called a caliper support in the automotive business, and if so it was not made by Magnum. It was made by Arvin Meritor, the brake manufacturer. Beaver used the Meritor ADB brake system on the Marquis from mid year 1998 through 2002 and on the 2002 Thunder only. The same brake system was used on many tour buses and on some Foretravel coaches from that era.

If the part is no longer in production, there should be some available in salvage yards, but locating them will be very difficult at best. Rear axles are usually sold as assemblies because parting them out is labor intensive.

As for straightening the part, that would depend upon where it is bent. The part is so heavily built, and it has tight enough tolerances that straightening a damaged part is usually not practical.

Gerald       
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:29:09 PM by Gerald Farris »

Tom and Pam Brown

I would contact Meritor myself, give them the part number and let them search.  It is highly likely the part number has been superceeded.  Once you get the current part number, you can then make your search.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Gorde, just a bit of reassurance.  If Ken Carpenter says they are working on it, theynare and you can count on that!  BCS has always treated us well, no they are not cheap but rarely do they get it wrong and they wont mislead you.
Patience is tough to come by sometimes and after 7 weeks I imagine you know that!
It never hurts to take the initiative and call Meritor as posted above.  It may help and at least will make you feel better.
All this will pass.  It is the frustration we all go through with a new to us coach.  We can all sympathize.

Just want to wish you well and welcome you to the club!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Gordon, I have to agree whole heartedly with Keith. 

But keep in mind that if the part can't be found, there are machine shops that, at least in my experience, are amazingly capable, whether it be reforming a damaged part or totally building a new one.  Some years ago, I had a young metallurgist with state-of-the-art digital equipment in Oregon City make me new electric leveling jack parts, and he analyzed it to formulate the new parts out of much better metal alloy than the original manufacturer used.  It wasn't cheap, but given the device and parts were antiquated and unavailable, it was certainly the best route.

-Joel
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:53:15 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gorde Lang

• BAC Member
Re: Having trouble locating part - 2000 Beaver Marquis Tourmaline Torque Plate
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 05:30:39 AM »
My wife &l are very grateful for all your comments. I have been told meritor is not making this part & or releasing drawing. I was told by beaver coach for $2500.00 they could get a used part from vison.l now have been informed they can't. I've been dealing with Larry &sean mostly .Perhaps a chat with ken on Monday would be helpful. Attempting to straighten part with a metalurgist? Ok ,know anyone in or around bend.Someone said heat could possibly cause a slight warpage & if a grease other than clay base was used calipers could begin to restrict movement & pads heat up.I bought this rv in texas recently & did hear any noises or feel any restrictions. I apologize, lm rambling. The lord says he won't give you more than you can stand, so lm sitting down now
2012 Winnebago Tour

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 07:13:09 AM »
Okay, the machinest that made new parts for my jack happened to be highly knowledgeable about metals, and understood alloys and how they interact.  Any good machinest should have basic alloy knowledge, without being necessarily a "metallurgist".  I just used that description because mine impressed me with his unusual investment in equipment and his degree of alloy knowledge, which was way over my head.  All I'm getting at is that what may be an option for you is a good machinest shop.

I have no experience with any machinists in Bend, but with ranches and farms aplenty around Central Oregon, that need machine parts repaired regularly, I'd expect to find some reputable and capable ones.  Perhaps Tye or Ken or one of their techs knows someone and can advise on Monday.  Then again, I'm not familiar with the part in question, and a machine shop, advanced or basic, may not actually be a viable option.  But it would certainly be something I'd look into.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Jewell

john brunson

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 03:41:36 PM »
My wife &l are very grateful for all your comments. I have been told meritor is not making this part & or releasing drawing. I was told by beaver coach for $2500.00 they could get a used part from vison.l now have been informed they can't. I've been dealing with Larry &sean mostly .Perhaps a chat with ken on Monday would be helpful. Attempting to straighten part with a metalurgist? Ok ,know anyone in or around bend.Someone said heat could possibly cause a slight warpage & if a grease other than clay base was used calipers could begin to restrict movement & pads heat up.I bought this rv in texas recently & did hear any noises or feel any restrictions. I apologize, lm rambling. The lord says he won't give you more than you can stand, so lm sitting down now

Any machinist can use heat to straighten a part here is a video of a part being perfectly tweaked with a torch. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dNuSh8ZMKIo

This is an extremely common repair for driveshafts and crankshafts- I see no reason why you could not do other stuff.

Keep shaking the tree... An acorn will fall eventually!

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

john brunson

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »
Looks like this guy will make you one from scratch - I would do the whole axle...
Worth a call...

http://www.fatmanfab.com/

There are choices.