Author Topic: Instant Hot Water Dispenser  (Read 6614 times)

LarryNCarolynShirk

Instant Hot Water Dispenser
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »
The instant hot water tank below our kitchen sink finally gave out.  Replacement of the InSinkErator brand was about $280.  I found one by WasteKing at Costco for $149 with a $30 rebate for a total of $119.  
Larry

Richard Cooper

Re: Instant Hot Water Dispenser
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
A month or so ago I turned off my Insinkerator (instant hot water dispenser).  I have no need of this.  Is there anything else I should have done or need to do?  Like for instance, drain it?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
Richard,
Assuming that your hot water dispenser is mounted in the same manner that mine is, there is no way to drain the 1/2 gallon tank without removing the unit. The problem with leaving water the unit is that it can freeze and break if the coach is stored in very cold temperatures. Otherwise there is no problem in just leaving it alone. If you never plan on using the unit, it only takes 10 minutes to remove it and get more storage space under the sink.

If my hot water dispenser failed, I would have to replace it or get a divorce, because my wife loves it. We use it for coffee in the French press in the morning, instant coffee, hot tea, or anytime we need hot water for cooking.

Gerald

Richard Cooper

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »
Don't get a divorce over hot water!   ;D ;D

Yes, I could remove it, but then I have to store it somewhere in the basement.

Interesting that you mention the French press.  I have one too and think that it makes really good coffee.  I have an electric kettle that holds more than enough water for the press.  It takes about 3 minutes to boil what I need and the water I'm boiling is bottled type water.  I just didn't have any confidence in the water from that hot water dispenser, but I guess if you all are using it then it must not be contaminated yet.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:08:44 PM »
Richard,
The hot water dispenser uses the same water source (from the icemaker filter) that your icemaker does. So if you are using ice from the icemaker you are already drinking the same water that you get from the hot water dispenser. If you are worried that the water has been in the dispenser tank to long, just flush it out, it only holds 1/2 gallon. Regardless the heating element will heat the water hot enough (190 to 200 degrees) to kill any bacteria.

You have something that will give you instant hot water with no trouble, so why mess with an electric kettle, it is just one more thing to take up room. My wife loved the hot water dispenser in the coach so much that I had to install one in the house that we just bought as a winter base.

Gerald