Author Topic: Drip under coach  (Read 7666 times)

Roy Lewis

Drip under coach
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »
Hi Folks, we have a 2002 Marquis 40 Tourmaline. Today we pulled up camp took coach for a ride and came back to same resort different space. Upon setup with Aqua hot on elec element I have a small drip coming from drain tube that empties near sewer outlet under coach. Any ideas?

Roy Lewis

Re: Drip under coach
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:57:24 PM »
I'm sorry, should have clarified its green aqua hot fluid, there is a drain tube that ends up under coach near sewer outlet.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:01:33 AM »
Our unit is up nearly under the passenger seat, Roy, and the Boiler fluid is pink.  So yours is obviously in a totally different area and is likely using regular green antifreeze.

So others here may be more familiar with your specifics, but if that is indeed your AquaHot open end drain and not an engine coolant hose or surge tank overflow, then I'd have to speculate your AquaHot's expansion tank got too full.  Did you check the level in that tank, both when the AQ is hot and also cold?  Was it recently topped off, possibly erroneously to the Hot mark while cold? 

I suppose you could be seeing a popped-off hose that routes engine coolant cycling to the AquaHot, or even one that takes hot fluid to a rear heat exchanger;  but I wouldn't expect such an animal to be seen below floor level.

-Joel

PS- my wife's father's name was Roy Lewis ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:04:18 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Roy Lewis

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:20:14 AM »
Thank you so much Joel, I do beleive I had over filled overflow tank. Thank you so much for reply! I have a great deal to learn.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 02:59:11 AM »
Roy, I dont believe the overflow should be dumping on the ground in any case.  It should be returning to the Aqua Hot just under the radiator cap.
Perhaps a new hose (clear plastic) and or a radiator cap is in order?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roy Lewis

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 04:15:44 AM »
I will check that out, my overflow is a plastic tank. Can I get a different cap and odd thing it quit dripping?? So much to learn but we love this old girl!!

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »
If it is from the overflow your cap is most likely plastic and there is a plastic tube for overflow, if like on our 2004. As I understand it you can use either boiler anti freeze or automotive coolant same as engine.

Rod Ogle

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
Roy

We had a small leak in the exact place you describe.  As it turned out we had a loose hose connection to the heat exchanger in the bathroom.  leaking coolant found it's way along the Aqua Hot lines, under the coach and some how followed drain lines to the area you described.   I had replaced the heat exchanger in the bathroom and failed to double clamp one of the connections.

Easy to check, lift up the false floor under the bathroom sink and check to see if all is dry. 

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 07:43:48 PM »
Roy,

I believe that anything near the sewer outlet is related to the water panel. Isn't the Aqua Hot on yours behind the passenger side front wheel? There is a drain tube under the panel for winterizing that is activated by a manual valve. If you found non toxic antifreeze it could be left over from winterizing.

Later Ed

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
If it is from the overflow your cap is most likely plastic and there is a plastic tube for overflow, if like on our 2004. As I understand it you can use either boiler anti freeze or automotive coolant same as engine.
Doug
Earlier Aqua Hot came with prestone style ethelyne antifreeze in the coach heating tubes.  This was changed to boiler fluid in 2003 or so to use boiler fluid in case there was a leak into the fresh water system.  Boiler fluid is supposed to be less toxic.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
Ed, he indicated the dripping fluid was green.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 09:18:46 PM »
Roy, I dont believe the overflow should be dumping on the ground in any case.  It should be returning to the Aqua Hot just under the radiator cap.
Perhaps a new hose (clear plastic) and or a radiator cap is in order?

Keith, the overflow from the expansion tank on ours feeds from its cap through the bay wall via a rubber tube that just dumps just behind the passenger front tire.  That's much like most expansion tanks I've seen, including the engine's, to give excess hot and expanded fluid a way out of the system, via the plastic tank;  routing it back to the main tank again, when it's already overfull, wouldn't seem useful in this application.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:20:31 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 03:51:42 AM »
Joel,

I caught that, but he indicated dripping by the sewer outlet....still trying to figure out exactly where his sewer outlet vs Aqua Hot is. There is a heating loop and a heater in the water bay, maybe that could be the source.

If it is coming out of the tube below the water bay, that is a drain for the water system. Still confused...

Later Ed

Roy Lewis

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 06:13:06 AM »
The sewer outlet has a drain hose coming out of belly, it had the green aqua hot fluid dripped out and then stopped. I recently topped off expansion tank to hot level, it dripped maybe 1/8 th of a cup and then stopped. Level in expansion tank is full.

Roy Lewis

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »
Will keep posted . Thanks to everyone!