Author Topic: Refrigerator not cooling so well  (Read 8593 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Refrigerator not cooling so well
« on: July 24, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
2004 Beaver Marquis with 4 door Refrigerator that runs on LP or electric.  I believe it to be a Norcold and original. 

Suddenly the refrigerator is not cooling well.   The freezer continues to work great but the fridge is only cool and not cold.   I've read that these are not serviceable.   Is that true?  I also found a post here that suggests removing the fridge and setting it upside down for a couple days to try to clear out crystals that can form in the system.   Can a handy owner do this himself?

I've also found a business on the web that sells remanufactured cooling units for about $500.  Does anyone have experience with these? 

I've never had a problem with an RV refrigerator and I simply don't know where to start.  Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

Joe Westbrook

Re: Refrigerator not cooling so well
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
Rick l am having same problem, my 2001 maquis ,I have replaced the cooling unit with a so called  rebuilt unit,no good made first trip lost the food except what we saved by putting it in freezer part also I paid $740 for unit the people also double charged  me. So I have $1480 in the unit plus my labor to install it. Can not get them too do anything about it. My advise is not too buy a rebuilt unit! I am thinking about going too household unit. But if you want to stay with rv unit  there is a company online called articcoldi found them on Google  new with life time warranty for $1200 . I found a household unit at Lowes for $500 that with a little alteration  will fit. Good luck Joe

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
Rick
We have had the Norcold.  Several Norcolds in fact and they all had problems.  We have the Dometic now and it works very well on gas or electric.  The word I have had is that a RV fridge is good for about 10 years and anything beyond that is bonus time.  I have had some nearing 20 and one replacement unit that lasted 2 months. 
This coach is new to us 3 years ago but BCS replaced the fridge cooling unit just before we bought it.  Replacement units do work.  They are certainly cheaper than a new RV fridge.
That said, when this fridge goes we will be looking at a residential unit.  There is a thread on this forum showing their new residential fridge and power usage on a 100 degree day and the numbers seemed very workable with good batteries and running the generator twice a day while dry camping.  Most Marquis can be set to auto start the generator when the batteries get low. 
Seems likea no brainer to me.
Best of luck!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:40:39 AM »
Rick, We just changed out last year our RV fridge to the Samsung residential and could not be happier. Always colder and much more space. Did the change myself and while it took some work it was well worth it. $1200.00 for the Samsung at Home Depot. Our old RV 4 door refrigerator was doing same as yours is. They are also the number one cause of fires in an RV. A new one like you have is $3800.00 plus dependent on what RV supplier you buy it from.
If you are going to do anything but a total new of some kind it is gonna come back and bite you. At least that is what our experience is.
If you want to do yourself I can give you some pointers.
The following users thanked this post: Rick Vyncke

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:42:41 AM »
Rick, an awful lot depends on the ambient outside temperature, and if you are in the heat belt that's taking in much of the country this week, you cannot expect the fridge side to keep up.  It's just too hard for it to exchange internal heat to the outside.  That's especially true if even overnight outside temps are quite high, so that the unit hasn't even got any catch-up time. 

It can be helpful if you can park during the hottest part of the day with the fridge side in tree shade, and open the outside access door especially at night.  If your unit doesn't have one or more small fans top and/or bottom back there, consider adding them;  it made a nice performance difference in our 1985 coach when I installed a fan with switchable solar or 12v power, so I could run it in shade or at night.  If your fridge does have factory fan(s) to move air over its rear tubes, be sure they are functional.

That said, if the thing was acting up even in moderate ambient temperatures, you should be aware, if you aren't already, of a significant Norcold recall spanning many years back.  Even recalled units have reported problems, so check into that;  many members here have experienced the situation, and reading their woes made me count my blessings we have always had Dometic.

When we began motorhoming, I went through 2 cooling units on our "85 Pace Arrow's Dometic.  Dometic made pretty good units (modern ones are even better, and less level-sensitive), and the fault both times was mine.  Dometic fixed the first one under warranty, even though chances are it was my negligence (or ignorance at the time).  The second time was just stupidity, leaving the coach off-level on a boat ramp while I crawled underneath for 2 hours trying to figure out why the coach wouldn't start.  I knew better and should've turned the fridge off like I usually do when parked off-level;  I just didn't think about it while possessed in summer heat on asphalt trying to find what was wrong with the ignition or starter. 

The really dumb part - wait for it ...
I'd left the tranny in Drive, which is why it wouldn't crank.  An $800 reason to always bring your brains to the party!

Our current 2-door Dometic has been pretty much trouble-free, and I wouldn't convert it to residential;  the exception there might be the fact they quit making our specific model in 2008, so if it quits altogether, residential might be an option in lieu of a new cooling unit.  But with no spare room in the battery bay for 2 more 6v., and our penchant for dry-camping at Camp Sherman and other Forest Service campgrounds, I doubt it.

It's just a great fridge, performing well for 10 years, even in weeks of scorching eastern Nebraska heat and humidity in 2012, thank goodness - cold pop, door-delivered ice, water, and beer was always at the ready. 

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:20:46 AM »
Rick
We also struggled with our LP refrig before switching  it out last spring to a residential model. We did help it some when we installed a fan behind the unit with a thermostat. It still struggled to maintain the temps in a hot climate so we decided to install a Samsung.

My wife is very happy with the residential refer. It is far more roomier and there is lots of freezer room and ice! I am still learning to manage the battery situation.

We are getting ready to embark on another western adventure and I will probably learn more as we try to "boondocks" occasionally along the way.

I think the residential would make you very happy if you choose that route. We also did a DIY project with our old Phaeton where we installed a small apartment style refer from Home Depot in the existing space of the old LP unit and it turned out very nice but not near as nice as the 3 door Samsung we have now in our Beaver.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 06:35:24 AM »
Seems to me that an all electric fridge is a good idea.  (See the other thread on coach batteries).
A point to be made here is no matter the fridge or the battery setup.  The batteries you do have should be in optimum shape.  The greater strain on the 12 V electrical system can only be helped by the strongest batteries in good condition with good clean connections.
One other possibility is changing to AGM batteries.  I guess wet and glass mat style cant be mixed but if you have AGM already then adding two more to support a residential fridge might be done in a closed compartment?  This acording to a battery supply in Bend.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:32:59 PM by Carol Moffett »
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
Great feedback from all.  Thank you!

It was extremely hot this weekend and this correlates with when we noticed the issue.  Perhaps out issue is related... we'll see over the coming weeks.

Thanks too for the insight on the Norcold recall.  Is there a way for me to visually identify whether or not that has been done?

Finally, I see that some folks have installed automated fire suppression systems.  Any suggestions on a good one would be appreciated.

Thanks again... I will post more follow-up in a couple of weeks regarding whether the issue was weather related.

Rick V
43'
C12

William Harmon

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:15 PM »
I just got a notice in Friday's mail that there is a Class Action Law suite on Norcold 1200 series, N8 Series, or N6 Series Gas Absorption Refrigerator or Cooling Unit.  if yours is one of the above series, they advise you to call 1-877-449-8550 or visit www.NorcoldClassAction.com.  Sounds like there are safety issues with those units that could result in fires.  You may be entitled to compensation.  Good luck on this one.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 09:33:15 PM »
There is a good article explaining some problems with RV fridges and causes of fires at www.arp.com
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 10:36:17 PM »
If you haven't seen him at a large rally already, or plan to attend one where he's going to be at, at least check out Mac's website and watch his video(s):
http://www.macthefireguy.com

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:46 AM »
Rick:
           Two things we discovered on our 01 Marquis refrigerator:
                  1. The coach must be not more than 3 degrees from being Level for proper refrigerator operation.
                  2. The Thermistor, which may be attached to your cooling fins inside the refrigerator (not freezer side)  adjusts the
                        temperature by sliding the thermistor up or down the cooling fins.
            In our case, we replaced the thermistor and the refrigerator operated normally. We made sure also to always stayed within 3 degrees of level.

Just a couple of suggestions that may help.

Larry D

Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 04:17:35 AM »
Thanks Larry!   We were level and I tested the Thermistor by unplugging it which should cause the fridge to run constantly but that didn't make any difference.

In the three years that we've owned the coach, we have always had to run the Norcold on number '9' to get sufficient cooling.  Perhaps it's on its last leg.

Has anybody installed the replacement cooling unit manufactured by the Amish?  Good investment?
We don't want to change over to a home refrigerator because we need the flexibility of running on LP.

Thanks again!
Rick V
43'
C12

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 04:48:18 AM »
Rick,
Do a search for Amish. You'll find both positive and negative input form BAC members.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Rick Vyncke, Bob Dunlap

George H. Wall

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
Thanks Larry!   We were level and I tested the Thermistor by unplugging it which should cause the fridge to run constantly but that didn't make any difference.

In the three years that we've owned the coach, we have always had to run the Norcold on number '9' to get sufficient cooling.  Perhaps it's on its last leg.

Has anybody installed the replacement cooling unit manufactured by the Amish?  Good investment?
We don't want to change over to a home refrigerator because we need the flexibility of running on LP.

Thanks again!
Rick, I had my original Nircold go bad 3 years ago and replaced the cooling unit with the Amish replacement. It is so much better the the Norcold, I have run it continuesly since then with superior results. Our temps have been in the 90's this month, and it cools great on the setting of 3. Highly reccomend!!  Henry