Author Topic: entry door window  (Read 10330 times)

Doug Allman

entry door window
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:19:11 PM »
Whom does the correct type window for an RV in the entry door. Our has now began to fog up at times and there are some spots left from the moisture. I just need the glass as i can replace it.

Roy C Tyler

Re: entry door window
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:37 PM »
Doug, my local glass shop told me they had replaced many and they could replace mine for about $250 including labor.

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »
I did just that 1.5 years ago and now they were bought by Safelite so nowhere to go. They also indicated no warranty when placed in an RV.  I believe they would have warrantied but not due to being bought out. I might try another local glass shop and see what they say.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »
Your best spot is RV Glass solutions they will be working at Canyonville during the Beaver rally.

Your door window is a very common problem for the RV's.

FYI it's best to open a window before you extend your slides I understand this is the main cause for the door window seal failure as the slides move out this will create a lot of pressure drop if you crack a window or open the door this will prevent the pressure drop.   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
Thank You Jerry

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »
RV Glass Solutions will be at the rally in Canyonville, but will only do chip repair and maybe windshield replacement at the rally.  They do the creeping seals at their place in Coburg, OR, about 100 miles north of Canyonville. 888-777-6778
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

William Jordan

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:11:33 PM »
Rv glass in Oregon and sunshine in Florida ( I'm sure there are others ) pull the glass from the Rv pull it apart polish it and put it back together with new seals and remount it in one day. My understanding is they guarantee the work for several years. My door window also has this problem and will try to have it repaired while in Fl 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 05:46:56 AM »
Doug,
You can buy the seal kit for your windows and replace them yourself if you want to.

Check out this Forum post.
http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,1275.msg8358.html#msg8358

Gerald

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
Gerald, I understand putting in seals but how do you polish the glass if it has spots on it and do you have to remove the air or install a gas to keep it from fogging again?

Doug Allman

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
RV glass quoted me $150.00 for glass door unit with 2 yr warranty. You remove and install yourself.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
I had my door window polished and was told that the spots may not come out if they have been on the glass for a long time. In my case I wish I had just put in new glass. I was unhappy with the repair.   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
Doug,
There is glass polish available if the glass is not pitted from moisture being between the glass panes for an extended time. However, if the glass is pitted, you will need to replace the glass pane or put up with the spots.

If you clean the glass properly and replace the seal in a low humidity environment, there is no need to purge the air between the panes or inject an inert gas.

Even if you can find a window assembly that fits your coach at a reasonable price, you still have the problem of painting the window frame to match the rest of the windows because the window frames on your coach are painted to match the coach unlike the Patriots that have black window frames.

Gerald 

Doug Allman

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »
Gerald, Evidently being a novice I did not know about the painted window frame dilemma. I just took out old glass and inserted a new glass panel and replaced in door. Yes the outside trim is painted but in replacing just the glass unit I did not have to paint the trim. Have one little nick from doing it but I can live with that.
That is same thing I am going to do, I think I understand that is what RV Glass in Phoenix is going to sell me, when I fix the problem after I get to Yuma.