Author Topic: Shore Power Problems  (Read 7962 times)

RebeccaKlein

Shore Power Problems
« on: November 27, 2016, 03:52:39 AM »
I was plugged in to 50 AMP shore power.  We having been having problems with the hydrohot heat not working correctly.  My husband plugged a tower fan type space heater into the outlet under the sink in the bathroom. We have lost shore power. On generator I have the use to the 12V electric but not lights that would operate on shore power.  I have the use of some outlets but there are a few not working.  The outlet that the heater was plugged into says that it is GFI protected.  The only GFI reset that I see is on the side of the Galley cabinet. 

Any suggestions??????

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Shore Power Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 04:37:42 AM »
Rebecca,
On my old 1999 Patriot Thunder, I had GFI in bathroom and in basement.  Might check those areas.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 04:49:15 AM »
Thanks I will check the basement. 

Mike Groves

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
Sounds like one of the Inverter Circuit breakers has reset.  Look for a box in the basement that may have a blue and a red breaker on it and reset one or both of those.  In my '99 Marquis that box is on the ceiling immediately forward of the rear wall which encloses the waste tanks.

I believe the bathroom circuit is the same as the kitchen counter circuits.  We do not use more than one high amp device at a time on that circuit.  If we do then that circuit will blow.

Mike

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »
Thank you!! That is exactly what sounds like happened.  I just did not know where to look.  Thank ou for the information.  I will start emptying that side of the basement now.  Thanks again!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
Each 110v circuit should have a GFI incorporated into one receptacle on the circuit.  For example, the 110v circuit going from near my driver's seat and aft along the street side of my living room, dining room, and into the loo has at least five receptacles with the loo undercounter receptacle having the GFI.  I have about five separate circuits through the coach living areas and basement with one GFI-receptacle on each circuit.  If two or more circuits do not have power, then your problem is likely not a GFI. Just my opinion.  Your problem sounds like it's at a common point... like the inverter, your 110v panel of breakers, or on the circuit going to the switch that controls the power supply origin, meaning the switch between accepting power from either the generator or shore.

My brother has a 2000 Marquis Tourmaline and two years ago on a cold overnight stop in a RV park he had power problems that sound similar to yours.  If memory serves me, then all his power problems were corrected by finding and pushing a reset button on the inverter.  He did not find in the inverter manual that there was a reset button.  Nevertheless, he was advised to look for a reset button on his inverter (by Gerald, I believe it was).  So he unloaded his basement to provide access to look closely at his inverter and found a button that, when pressed, solved all his power problems.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
I have flipped the breaker in the main breaker box in the closet for the Inverter.  I had a breaker tripped in the basement which was labeled "Entertainment and other misc outlets".  I reset that.  The coach still is not recognizing that I have shore power.  Is there another breaker that I need to find to reset the Inverter? Is there a reset switch on the inverter itself?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
I think that's what the guys are saying, yes.  Our coach is quite different than yours, Rebecca, so I won't go beyond saying you should look at the inverter unit itself for breakers like Mike describes or a reset button as David points out;  a red reset button comes most to my mind.  Clear the bay and go in with a flashlight so you can examine the unit all around.

While you're in there, check that the 110v outlet on one bay wall doesn't need its red button reset;  that's commonly the GFCI outlet for one circuit of several outlets in the coach.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:57:40 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:51:21 PM »
The Xantrex inverter in our 01 Contessa had a reset button on it. I seem to remember that it was on one of the ends of the unit but not real obvious. Not sure if it was shown in the manual or not.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:04:22 AM »
I found the button on the Inverter that apparently resets the inverter.  I switched it to Bypass and then back on the the 'On" position.  I reset the 110 GFI in the basement at the central vacuum.  I heard the inverter cycle on for a moment and then did not hear anything else.  I check and the light indicating shore power on my board is still not on. 

the only breaker box in the basement has 4 breakers.  Main, Micro, cant remember and then one that says "kitchen lights, entertainment and other misc outlets" (this is the one that tripped last night.  I reset all of 4 breakers on the box.  In the bedroom closet I have a breaker labeled Inverter which I have reset.  I have checked the entire basement and under ever door below.  I am not able to find any box with only two breakers. 

Lots of blankets tonight and two big standard poodles and we will be fine.  Of course it has to find the worst day possible in Arizona to do this.  Snowfall level at 4000. My current altitude is 3680'.

I will have to find someone who does mobile repair tomorrow.  Thanks for all the help and have a wonderful evening!

Dale Walker

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 12:55:28 AM »
Rebecca, in a pinch, if you have an extention cord, plug it in to the pedestal. You could at least use a couple of things, the electric blanket, and the space heater? Just a thought.

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »
it is possible that it is a relay in the compartment in the front driver's side?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 03:06:24 AM »
To my memory, that bay is almost exclusively 12 volt chassis equipment and is not likely involved.  It's more probable to be a faulty inverter or transfer switch issue. 

Generally 50 amp power goes to the Main breaker box in the coach from the transfer switch, and the last breaker in that Main is a 30 amp that feeds the inverter.  A second box has breakers for any device or circuit that the inverter runs.  You said you had the use of some outlets, which may be off the Main and a clue that the inverter side is where the problem is rather than the transfer switch.  But the Main's breakers on our coach all are for specific devices or appliances with nothing else on their circuits;  yours may be the same, with no free Main-fed circuit outlets, in which case its a head scratcher why you have found some active outlets with nothing already plugged into them. 

There's always a chance your power source at the post is not up to snuff.  But I'm just throwing ideas from a remote location;  electric gremlins confound us all regularly, and an RV electrical tech may be what it takes to analyze this on site and first hand.

As Dale suggests, in the interim you could run a heater off one of your good outlets or from the 20amp side of the post via an extension through a window, stuffing a towel in the window crack to mitigate cold air inflow.  Just don't overload that breaker too.

Joel
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:18:12 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

RebeccaKlein

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
Paul you hit the nail on the head! I had someone out yesterday evening and it is the 50 AMP Transfer Switch. The part will be installed this afternoon. In the meantime I am making it with an extension cord and a tower heater. Coffee was made with a percolator on the stovetop.

The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
Glad you got the problem diagnosed and repaired.  That was one of my guesses as mentioned earlier, and I can attest replacing that transfer switch is much less expensive than replacing an inverter like I had to do last Winter.  Good job...
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!