Author Topic: Black Tank Blessing  (Read 4089 times)

Michael Hannan

Black Tank Blessing
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
I don't think I've mentioned this here before.  If I have please excuse the duplication.  I just tried another blank tank treatment.  In the past I've had trouble with the electric valves opening on my black tank.  I even replaced the valve with a brand new one but the problem remained.  I came across Happy Campers tank treatment and after reading about it decided to give it a try.  I ordered the Extreme Cleaner but because it needs to be in the tank over night & I live in my coach full time it never seemed to be a convenient time to use it.  I needed to replenish my daily tank treatment and ordered some of their regular treatment.  After one use (at the double the amount)  not only was there zero odour coming from the toilet (not that there was much to begin with) but my black tank valve works flawlessly and the tank Aladin sensor works properly too!

Anyhow, here's the US link for the product.  http://1-happycamper.com/index.php .    It can also be ordered through Amazon.com .  Here's the Canadian link http://happy-campers.ca/ .

Hope this can help someone else out.

MJ

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Black Tank Blessing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »
I too recently had a problematic black tank drain valve.  It would not dump last month, but I could hear the valve motor working for both the open and close functions.  The repairman I consulted with said to first try a 32 ounce bottle of RV Digest It - $12 - let it work for at least 24 hours and see if the tank would dump.  It did.  While reading the website of the drain valve manufacturer it said the valve motor, when opening and closing, should "buzz" for about 1 1/2 seconds.  After playing with both the black and grey tanks' dump valves I noticed the gray valve's motor would buzz for the 1 1/2 seconds, but the black tank valve buzzed for only a half second to open.  It turned out the black tank valve was opening only about 1/3.  I put an Allen wrench tool in the manual fitting and opened the valve manually... which it did.  When I closed the valve the motor would buzz for only an instant, thus was not closing properly from full open.  I chatted with the drain valve lady at the manufacturers help line who told me those drain valves have about an eight year life.  So my valves, assuming they are the originals, were well past there expected life.  I replaced the black tank drain valve - $108 including freight.  I probably should have replaced the gray tank valve while in there!  Replacing the valves is easy, but getting the water bay aluminum plate off and getting the water manifold off its backside and replacing the manifold is a real PITA!  Of course, after getting it done two of the electrical switches would not work - the fresh water hose reel and the fresh water tank drain valve.  Pulling the aluminum plate away far enough pulled on and unplugged a couple wires.  I had to get a guy to come and figure that out - took him about 15 minutes after I spent two hours unsuccessfully.  All seems well now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:38:13 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Black Tank Blessing
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »
David,
Be sure you hook the wires up correctly. A shop doing warranty work on our Marquis hooked the black tank up backwards. Not a fun surprise when you remove the drain port cap.  :o
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp