Author Topic: More Air Dump and Air Bag Questions  (Read 13795 times)

Paul Bowers

More Air Dump and Air Bag Questions
« on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:10 AM »
After reading a recent thread on leveling a coach and air dumping, I went and pulled out the manual and tried to find a procedure for "dumping" the air on the coach.  I can't find a procedure for this, and I have no switch for doing so...at least none that I have found.  I have a couple of questions.  I have a 2001 Beaver Monterey Trinidad with Reyco 510AR on the front and 610AR on the rear.  Chassis is a Magnum R series.

1.  Do all coaches with air bags have a dump switch?  A couple of minutes after turning the engine off, I can hear what appears to be a controlled release of air.  

2.  I can not crawl up under the coach far enough to be sure, but it appears my coach has 4 bags and 4 shocks.  Can anyone confirm this?  I am planning on replacing the shocks (and tires) with Konis and I show I would need the 94 Magnum four bag series shock.  Currently porpoising and bottoming out on bumps on the interstate at 65 mph.

3.  The chassis manual gives the correct height for the bags.  The diagram shows the Height Control Valve (HCV) located on the rail.  Is there an easy way to check how much air is in each bag, or is this best left up to a suspension shop?   After a while, once all the air has been released, my coach is lower on the left side than the right.  My measurements show to be the left front is the problem.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

pb

Gerald Farris

Re: More Air Dump and Air Bag Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:14:09 AM »
Paul,
I will try to answer your questions;

1. Most but not all coaches with an air suspension will have a dump switch. It is usually located in the control panel for the leveling system, but not always.

2. I could not find any information on how many air bags were used on the 2001 Monterey, so we will have to wait for a 2001 Monterey owner, or maybe Roy Muller will pitch in with the answer here.

3. You do not set the air bag pressure, but you do set the standing height for the suspension. If the height is correct, the pressure is of no concern because as the weight of the coach changes with the addition or subtraction of fuel, water, or cargo the air pressure will increase or decrease as necessary to maintain the correct height. If you are not familiar with suspension service, you should leave any repairs to a professional because it can be dangerous, especially if you turn something the wrong way and let the coach down on yourself.  

If the coach leans to one side as the air leaks down, that means that the low side is leaking faster than than the other side that still has some air pressure in the air bags. If the air bags leak down in a couple of days, you should try to locate the leak and repair it, although a slow leak can be very difficult to locate.

Gerald
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:09:14 AM by 14 »

Roy Mueller

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:10:36 AM »
Paul,
You have 4 air bags and 4 shocks. You do not have a dump valve.  Air pressure is controled by 3 ride height
valves.  It sounds like you have an air leak, bad air line, bad air bag, or bad Ride Height valve.  DO NOT GO UNDER COACH WITH OUT PROPER SAFETY STANDS.  Best way is go to shop that has a pit. Call me Roy Mueller 573-220-1216
AIR BAGS for that Coach could take up to 8 weeks to get. I have 1997 Monterey.  I have made changes to my system.

ROY MUELLER
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:11:58 AM by 14 »

Paul Bowers

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:45:59 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the reply.  There are a lot of mechanical issues I feel comfortable with but that does not apply to suspensions.  I start checking around for a suspension shop.

Thanks again for your help.

pb

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
Most large truck frame and axle shops can handle your suspension needs at a more reasonable cost than most RV dealers.  Best place for a reccomendation is from a auto parts store that sells large truck parts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:29:16 AM by 14 »

Paul Bowers

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
Richard,

Thanks for the info.  I got a recommendation from a friend of a local company that handles large trucks and RV suspension issues.  My friend has been using them for the past 10 years on both large and small issues and says they do good work and the prices are reasonable.  Says he has recommended them several times to others with no complaints.  

Thanks again for the reply.  

pb

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »
Paul,

If you are happy with the work and the price when you are done please post the name of the business or if you prefer send it to me via Email at e.buker@gulftel.com. I am also in southern Alabama, Lillian to be exact, and may need the use of a good suspension shop sometime.

thanks Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:17:02 PM »
We have a similar problem; we are spending several weeks in central FL and then plan to travel along the Gulf Coast.  If someone can recommend a shop either in FL or AL that can deal with this please let us know.

Roy Mueller

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:15:35 AM »
Joel,

Alliance Coach at Wildwood, FL can help you.  They are Club Supporters.  Phone: 866-888-8941

Roy Mueller
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:34:38 AM by 14 »