Author Topic: What type of plastic quick connect fuel fittings are used?  (Read 7593 times)

Mike Shumack

What type of plastic quick connect fuel fittings are used?
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
I had to remove the fuel line at the Racor filter housing. The fuel line has a plastic swivel fitting with a clip to hold it in place. When I pulled out the clip it boke.

I don't know if this fitting type is part of the Racor assembly or just something thcoach or chassis builder picks. I found that Parker/Racor has a line of fittings called" SNAPP Quick Disconnect" but the one I sa had a different style clip.

Where can I get this clip?
Thanks

Mike Shumack

Re: What type of plastic quick connect fuel fittings are used?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:09:20 AM »
I've been looking for this fitting for over an hour. Still no luck figuring out what brand and part number it is.

I did find a simair looking fitting at "ECO" website which I think is some sort of "miracle" filter - but it says this fitting fits International DT466 engines (so I'm looking in that direction now).

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:12:30 AM »
Mike, the fitting in question as shown with your picture is not recommend. We have several
problems with air getting into the diesel fuel system caused with the o-ring with plastic clip.
The push on quick type air fittings will work excellent for air systems where air pressure seals
plastic lines under pressure. Use for diesel fuel under suction will allow air entry into fuel system.
Air line fittings with hex nut, Farrell, steel insert into plastic air or fuel line make a excellent
air tight connection. Several years ago BAC member Jim Nichols had several issues with low
power and air within the diesel fuel system, with same fittings as shown. Jim changed out all
fittings with brass air fittings with the steel insert and nut and Farrell with excellent results.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:46:57 PM »
Mike,
If you have the sizes of the tube and what it is screwed into you can get a Parker Air Brake fitting to replace the plastic one. Here's a link to Parker fittings. http://www.parker.com/Literature/Fluid%20Connectors%20Group/Fluid%20Connectors%20Group%20Static%20Files/I-AirBrakeProducts.pdf

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
Thanks everyone. After hours of searching, I found out the manufacture.
It is "VOSS" "System 241 Standard". Now I just need to find a place to buy one (I'll call Voss if I need to). Later I'll convert to brass like Dave suggested.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
Mike, looking at info of fittings for you temp repair, what the fittings are designed to adapt
to is different use than you plastic hose. Voss uses primarily nylon lines which is more plyable.
Looking at your Quick Connect where plastic hose slides over barbed end, the plastic hose
will allow entry of air with out use of clamp. We have found several plastic hose that slide over the barbed end problem as well as the o-ring and plastic clip. I have several fitting that were
removed from units and passed around at Diesel seminar put on at BAC rally to point this out.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
Dave,
I'm not fully understanding you. Let me ask in two questions:

1) When I switch to brass fittings, can I use the current nylon hose and just swap to brass fitting (i.e. a compression fitting with ferrule and insert) or do I need to replace the nylon hose when I switch to brass? The hose is "Nylon 12" (more specifically Polyamide PA 12-PHL). OR should I switch to "brass barb fitting" with a clamp.

2) Before I get around to switching out the Voss fittings, I was going to just try to get buy the "clip" and reinsert it in the existing plastic fitting. That would buy me more time. I'm concerned about driving around without this clip in place. However someone else said that clip is only used to "remove" the fitting and does nothing to help hold the fitting in place (I'm not sure if that guy is correct about that). I f I keep the Voss fittings for a while longer, I will add a hose clamp over the barbed end as you suggest.

Also, I noticed this Voss fitting is also used at the Fuel Pump inlet fitting in addition to the Racor inlet and outlet (and maybe other places, like a t fuel tank, that I have not seen yet).

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »
Mike,
The plastic fuel lines are fine to use with bio-fuel and will basically last forever. The Voss fittings on my 06 PT are fuel tank, primary separator to the engine transfer pump. The fitting in/out on the  Racor fuel separator are SAE Threaded with a Oring, the fuel pump has a brass adapter fitting to the Voss fitting. I believe the inlet to the transfer pump is also SAE Threaded with a Oring. Locating these fittings SAE to compression might be tricky.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:29 AM »
I have a document on the Racor filter that gives part numbers for the various fittings one might what to use. The housing is 7/8-14 straight thread with O-ring as you mentioned. Then there are various "connection ends" (barbed, JIC, etc.). So when I get ready to swap to brass I can plug the part number into Google and should be able to find a place to buy.

Since I was able to find the Voss fitting (at HNC Truck Parts), I'm going to replace the clip for now and then do the swap to brass at some later date.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »
Mike, to explain the plastic clip. Yes it is there for a reason ( to keep fuel line into fitting ). The fittings we have replaced and used at various seminars there is very little tightness into the female fitting
end. We also found a fuel line that was cocked into fitting and could just start to see o-ring on
one side with plastic clip in place. You will need to go with your own judgement on direction you
would like to take. Second answer to use of brass compression air fittings they will work with plastic
fuel line shown in your picture. One last thing I would suggest the fuel system makes up for about
80 percents engine related problems, and entry of air is the main cause of these problems.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »
Mike,
After searching my Parker fitting catalogs I have come up with the fittings to get from the SAE Oring ports to NPT threads for brass air brake fittings. Parker makes a 90 degree fitting that goes from SAE to tube but the problem I have had with these in the past is the orientation of the fitting once seated. Usually will be facing in the wrong direction. What I'm going to do with mine is use a adapter from SAE to NPT and then a 90 degree Parker air brake fittings. I have ordered them from Amazon total cost $40. I don't know what size your filter ports are but on my 06 PT it has 7/8 SAE.
Parker Adapter SAE to NPT    8-1/2F5OG is 3/4 SAE to 1/2"NPT
                                         10-1/2F5OG is 7/8" SAE to 1/2'NPT
Parker Air Brake 90 Degree   VS269NTA-10-8 is Brass 90 1/2"NPT to 5/8"Tube
Plug those Parker numbers in Amazon, can also get them from Grainger but cost more plug shipping.

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 05:12:24 AM »
After going thru a lot of diagnosing and finding plastic fuel fittings w/Orings the major part of my issues, do not use or reuse them.  And example of you trying to replace the ends is to try and remove the old fitting from the fuel line. You can't so your going to cut it off and probably heat the fuel line to press the new barb into it. You cannot use hose clamps on the yellow fuel line if you are able to get the barbed fitting on the line. Any heavy duty truck shop or Napa truck parts store would have the compression fittings. Also remember when you pull the old plastic fitting from the fuel filter fuel will come out unless you keep the line higher than the fuel tank. Do your engine a favor and avoid headaches down the road. Compression fittings are fast and easy to use.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:57:50 PM »
Jim, Well said, with my 06 PT have not had any fuel leakage or air in lines problems YET, heavy on the yet. That's why I changing them out before we leave this year. Have the same problem with the push to connect air fittings, I have a whole supply of brass air brake fittings to replace the push ones when I find one leaking.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
I ordered a couple of fittings for the Racor housing. I ordered the straight fittings with a JIC (37*) taper on the end. Now I just need to get the "ends for the hose".
I'll need one "compression to JIC" in a 90 degree, and the other can be straight or angled.

The fuel line used is "nylon" as noted earlier, however it is 16mm OD (and 2mm thick) according to its markings.

So do I look for a 16mm (.6299 inches) compression fitting (ferrule (compression ring) with insert sleeve) if that size even exists, or do I look for a 5/8 (.625 inches) compression fitting? I would not think the .004" difference in size would matter. And the 5/8" compression size is probably more readily available.

I start looking now and report back what I find.  If anyone has already done this swap (plastic to brass), let me know what you used.
Thanks.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »
Mike , go with the 5/8 or .625 fittings with steel insert for ID in line. Dave Atherton
Retired Cat mechanic