Author Topic: Cherry finish  (Read 2547 times)

Steve Funk

Cherry finish
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
I have been making some cherry wood Fantastic Fan covers for my 06 Monterey and will need to put a finish on the project.  Does anyone know what to put on the raw cherry to match what Beaver was using in that time frame. What oil and finish?

Thanks everyone

Pat Long

Re: Cherry finish
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 05:42:23 PM »
Steve,     The previous owner of my coach broke one trim piece on the main slide, when closing it the trim piece hit the drivers seat and it was damaged beyond repair.  I went down to a local hardwood dealer bought a piece of Cherry and refinished it with Varathane Products wood stain and Ultimate Polyurethane sealer.  The wood stain is Traditional Cherry, and the finish is Oil Based Interior Semi-Gloss.  You can't tell the difference from the New piece and all the original wood stain and finish.  I also had to refinish a bathroom door with the very same results.  Varathane is a High End product and can be purchase at Home Depot. 

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 06:47:19 PM »
I installed a lot of cherry in our 06 PT no stain just a clear coat, it will darken all by itself in a month
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:17:36 PM »
Zar cherry stain has worked very well for me on cherry wood. You can easily control the darkness of the finish. Finish it off with polyurethane.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 11:45:49 PM »
When our TV cabinets were modified, only clear polyurethane was used, as Jerry noted.  The finish seemed way too light at first, but as we were promised by Jim Sizemore and Greg Fulton, it darkened in a few months to match the natural cherry in the coach.

When I added some shelves to our linen cabinet a few years ago, I just bought pine and stained it with “natural cherry”;  I was amazed that although the wood grain is somewhat different, the color is identical, and since only the shelf edge is exposed to obvious view, no one can tell it isn’t original.

We also had a galley slide out trim piece snag and crack, but I successfully glued and finagled it to where the crack isn’t noticeable.

Joel
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:51:48 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat