Author Topic: Leak in Hurrican Heat Exchanger  (Read 8142 times)

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
Leak in Hurrican Heat Exchanger
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »
I have discovered a leak in the heat exchange coil in my hurricane compartment.  It looks like there are several clamps holding the exchanger to the compartment wall.  Can I simply remove the clamp screws and potable in and potable out lines and have the coil fixed at a local radiator shop or am I missing something?  
I have always winterized motorhomes for 15 years without using antifreeze and this is the first time I have had a problem with freezing.  Guess I will change my winterizing methods after this year.   :'(
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B
2019 F150 following close behind

Gerald Farris

Re: Leak in Hurrican Heat Exchanger
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:23:02 AM »
Brian,
Most radiator shops will not work on potable water heat exchangers because of the liability exposure. If you still have ethylene glycol in the Hurricane and it leaks into the potable water system in the heat exchanger, it is poisonous. If it can be repaired with no chance of cross contamination of the potable water system OK, but if there is any chance of cross contamination, replace it with a new one, and next time winterize with with the proper antifreeze because you can not blow out or drain all of the water out of a hydronic heating system.  

Because of the liability involved with heat exchanger leaks, Aqua Hot stopped using ethylene glycol years ago and will only use non-toxic boiler fluid in their systems.

Gerald

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
Gerald, If the fluid leaking from the coil was clear would that indicate no cross contamination?  Can anyone recommend a repair facility in the vicinity of Southern New Jersey or Philadelphia that is knowledgeable on the Hurricane system?  I have had poor results from a local RV dealer with the system in the past and am hesitant to have them work on the system again.  Thanks!
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »
Brian,

I had the same issue with my Hurricane.  I ended up replacing the old heat exchanger with the new version from hurricane.  Pretty simple and takes up alot less space and is more efficient as well. Mine busted in one of the curves which is water and they could not or would not repair.  It is less exensive than you might think and tiddies up that bay.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:51:10 AM »
Hello Brian.
  I have a similar leak. Would you head me in the right direction to buy the new heat exchanger please.  Thanks,  jeremy

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 02:21:11 AM »
Jeremy,

You can contact IFR at 1-800-993-4402.

I spoke with Randy last year, as he was very helpful.

Also, make sure you get the fittings with the exchanger.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:13:07 AM by 14 »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 04:39:45 AM »
Ok Tom.   Thanks  J

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:29:18 AM »
Jeremy,
You may also want to talk to Jim Rixen at Rixen's Enterprises in Oregon 800-925-6260. Jim was the US distributor for the Hurricane heater until 2003 and he sold all of the Hurricane systems to Beaver. Jim is very familiar with your system and he may be able to save you a few dollars on a replacement part.

Gerald

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »
Hi Jeremy,
I spoke with Jim Rixen the other day and he does have a newer model of the heat exchanger in stock.  Quoted me a price of $463.50 new, but he also has some new ones in stock that he said got a little dinged up in shipment.  He is selling those for 1/2 price.  He suggested the best way to get the old one out is to pinch off the antifreeze lines and pry the four screws out of the wall since they are so difficult to get to.  The new model is much smaller and more efficient according to Jim.  
Brian Sexton
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »
Hello Brian,
  Thank you, for the information about Jim Rixen.  When we get back from Mexico, I will order a unit.  J&J
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:47:08 PM by 14 »

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
For just the heat exchanger, I paid less than $200.  I do not remember the exact amount.

I would definitely contact IFR, to compare pricing unless the price included labor.

You can also buy from other sources as well.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 04:48:32 PM by 14 »

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
Hey Tom, Thanks for the heads up, I will  call IFR before I call Rixen back.  
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B

Brian Sexton

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »
Just wanted to pass on the latest information I have on the heat exchanger.  Tom, you were right on with IFR, just spoke with Randy and he has new exchangers for $260, much lower than Rixen's price.  Thanks again.  
Brian and Chippy Sexton
40' 2000 Beaver Contessa
Cat 3126B