Author Topic: DISH activation and support question  (Read 4674 times)

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
DISH activation and support question
« on: May 05, 2018, 01:03:49 AM »
Camping World has a special where you get the Wally receiver free with antenna purchase. I opted for the Winegard DISH Playmaker and just installed. Now I need to activate and I see Camping World, Winegard, and DISH Network all have their own activation phone numbers. And the various pieces of hard copy instructions seem to be trying to influence me. My BS detector needle is pegged.

Does this choice of who to activate my account through influence where my future support calls get routed?  I figure I’ll be calling to change location a lot as we roam around and I want that to be painless. I could care less which entity gets ‘credit’; I don’t want to inject some extra support layer because the wrong one of these 3 entities ‘owns’ my account.

Who to call?

Thanks for any light you can shed!
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
Zoe the Yorkie-Pom (ol' Eagle Bait)
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: DISH activation and support question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:13:35 AM »
Will it should make no change in support, your direct line is to dish and they are great I have been using them for about 8 months on the pay as you go.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 01:43:44 AM »
We have been using DISH both at our house and on the coach; on the coach for almost six years.  The Dish number I call for everything is 800-333-3474.  I always get a computer answering machine and the first query is communicating using Espanol or English.  BTW, Espanol is the default.  I would have thought English should be the default!  Anyways, when I call DISH to change locals, the process is ALMOST always one less than five-minute call.  The pain is going through the several computer-answering choices and caller verification.  Occasionally, I will have to call a second or even third time to successfully get the locals changed.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 03:11:51 AM »
May be a stupid question but... why do you need to call Dish/DTV to change locations? Is it to get "local" stations from back home or? We (DTV users) just run our OTA antenna up and pull in the locals for network shows and local news then switch back to the DTV input for their stations.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 04:35:31 AM »
We like to watch and record the evening series TV shows like NCIS (all three), MacGuyver, Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods, etc.  And getting them OTA does not go through the DISH receiver and, therefore, does not allow for recording them.  Plus, it's a PITA to switch the controls between OTA and the DISH satellite.

Also, I manage my IRA on a daily basis and like to watch Squawk Box on CNBC; and Bartiromo, Varney, Cavuto, etc., on FOX.  I am usually on the computer with the TV on from before 6 am to at least 9 am every weekday... unless I have an early Tee Time.  Incidentally, I do try to watch some CNN and MSNBC to get a balanced political perspective.  But it seems lately all CNN and MSNBC want to talk about is Stormy Daniels.  If I want to hear what's going on in China on trade, North Korea on nuclear weapons, and, like today, the Federal Judge lambasting the Mueller attorneys, then I am relegated to watching FOX.  This viewing is not generally available on OTA channels.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 04:39:59 AM »
With the Dish phone app you can update your locals without ever calling them, works sweet, no harm no foul, easy take 5 min's.

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
OK, Lee, what app for dish are you referring to? We need to get that app for sure.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Beware that if you call dish to change to local channels while on a trip... you will lose your regional sports channel. In my case FOX Sports Midwest. I never change out... that way I can watch Cardinal baseball games anywhere in the country while traveling. For this reason, I use the digital antenna to pull in local stuff and it works well. Also... all I pay is an additional $10 a month to my residential Dish TV bill to add a reciever to the Beaver.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
With the Dish phone app you can update your locals without ever calling them, works sweet, no harm no foul, easy take 5 min's.
I'd like to know about that app too Lee! When I call them sometimes its a lengthy process to change zip for locals.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »
I'd like to know about that app too Lee! When I call them sometimes its a lengthy process to change zip for locals.

There are several apps in the App Store regarding "dish". Since all satellite receivers have a "dish", the real DISH Network app is hard to discern. I would also like to know the name of the app, please.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
My guess would be the Dish Anywhere app, Stan, but otherwise the MyDish app... both are genuine Dish Network utilities.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 11:09:18 PM »
Thanks all!  I’ll activate directly with DISH and get the MyDish app which looks like the way to go for managing our account, including location.
-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 12:57:46 AM »
The MyDish app is the way to go, so much easier than calling.

Will Hansen

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 03:00:26 AM »
For the record, and to cap this topic, I activated our Wally receiver today and learned a few useful bits... I ended up calling 800-970-9623 which turned out to be DISH Outdoor, apparently a division of DISH Network that focuses on mobile/RV customers and their pay-as-you-go plan which is exactly what I wanted. DW and I decided to start off with their cheapest plan (Flex Pack for $34.99/mo) since we didn’t yet know what reception would be like at our current location where we will be spending the summer. Pleasant surprise #2 is that there was only $.03 tax and no other fees or charges so our monthly cost is $35.02! Process was friendly, painless and quick.  Good job DISH.

I then installed the MyDISH app on my phone and iPad and explored a bit to see that I could change info about our account and billing via the app but the app punts you over to the MyDish.com website for changes to channel packages. No big deal. All worked as well as I could hope for. And Sat reception is great which was pleasant surprise #3 since we are north of Seattle with a line of tall trees a couple hundred feet to the south of us.

Thanks once again to the forum. Hoping to put names with faces this summer in Bend.

See ya down the road!

-Will
Will and Carla Hansen
2007 Contessa Laguna
C9 400hp Cat
2015 RAM 1500