Author Topic: STARTER  (Read 3676 times)

Dave Blystone

STARTER
« on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
thanks in advance for all the help i have had in the past.
 my 3126 in a 2001 beaver patriot didnt start when i turned the key i turned it twice more and it started .
 i crawled under the coach and looked for some bad connections at the starter.  everyhing looked good so i had my wife  start it while i was watching.  i saw a large spark above  the starter. i can t see much up there.   is the starter hard to get out?  i supect its the start solinoid  but im not sure.   should i take it to a repair shop?? it still starts so i can move it for now .   thanks dave

Gerald Farris

Re: STARTER
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:27:53 AM »
David,
My coach (2000 Marquis) did about the same thing and it turned out to be a loose nut at the battery cable on the starter solenoid. The loose contact had arced so much that the nut was welded in place and could not be tighten or removed. The only way that I could repair it was to remove the starter, which included breaking the end of the solenoid because I could not unbolt the cable, and replace the starter solenoid.

It is not to hard of a job and the average mechanic can do it in about an hour or two with the right tools. I did mine beside the road in Arizona with hand tools.

Gerald