Author Topic: No 50 amp Hot Water? Check that element.  (Read 3012 times)

Bruce Sieloff

No 50 amp Hot Water? Check that element.
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:47:20 AM »
Our Electric Hot water used to be quite robust, we never used the diesel burner, but began to decline slowly and then just quit. I replaced the upper and lower thermostats in the Aqua Hot and still had no success. Common knowledge on the AQ repair forums indicated that it was rarely the element that failed. My DW however was insistent that this was the issue. I tried everything and then I called in the AQ repair person and they determined that indeed the element had failed, (still hearing about this) pictures below. As you can see one leg was almost completely severed.
The new element was about an inch longer than the original and boy howdy does it work! I mention this because I read many instances where the electric side of the hot water heater is called weak and unable to supply enough hot water for a shower. Since replacing the element we have never had to run the burner and have had more than enough hot water for back to back showers and the washer works without complaint (as does my DW). If this is you, it may pay to check the element. As you can see this one was clearly toast and has been in our AHE-100-02S since 2002.
Replacing the element was pretty straightforward, the most involved part was removing the burner unit to access the element and then finding enough buckets for 11 gallons of coolant when we drained the system. We did it one gallon at a time in a small pan, but I would consider some surgical tubing to run from the drain to a bucket next time. I will do the replacement again myself if the need arises.  8)

Mike Shumack

Re: No 50 amp Hot Water? Check that element.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
Bruce, does the element "screw" in or is it held in with bolts?

Is there a gasket or seal needed (if removing to inspect)?

It looks like you just need to remove the little access cover to get to it (and drain coolant, as you mentioned).

Did you install the same wattage (120V 1650W) element (you said your replacement was longer)?

Thanks

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Yes, the heating element screws in.  It has an O-ring to seal it.  When we replaced our heating element, the O-ring had failed.  It was one of those few cheap repairs these coaches have.

From the 02S manual:

5. Using a 1-1/2 inch socket, remove the defective electric
heating element from the Aqua-Hot boiler tank.

6. Install the replacement 1650-watt electric heating element into the boiler tank ensuring that the “up” lettering
on the element is installed in the up position.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:43:24 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:56:50 PM »
Mike, the entire replacement routine requires more confidence than competence. I could do it.
Uncover the element, drain the coolant (a simple easily accessible twist valve that opens a drain tube under the AQHot), replace the element and reassemble.
The original element was unavailable so the sourced replacement may have had a higher wattage, it was the same diameter, I know it was longer so I assume more resistance and more heat. I do know that I need to be careful or I can scald myself from the water out of the tap. The recovery rate is rapid so you don't wait long for more hot water, and the furnace runs just fine without the diesel burner on. Parts are readily available for the Aqua Hot and like everything else on the market the unit is a Bitsa for the most part, I know you can purchase the March pump used to circulate the fluids for about 1/3 the price of an official AH unit.
There are repairs done by intrepid folk to the coil unit itself, I published some of those fixes here. Some competence is required but the mechanical stuff just requires time, confidence and in some cases a willing helper. After watching the repair, I now know I could do it myself and I am just a wrench, not a mechanic. :-[

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:36:27 AM »
The element in our '04 Monterey HydroHot retired due to age.  Replacement elements and a large socket are readily available at Home Depot/Lowes in the plumbing department.

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
Everything that makes up an Aqua Hot is available for a lot less money than from AQUA HOT. We had to rebuild our complete front on the 2004 Marquis where all the wiring and controls are as it got soaked numerous times and corrosion had set in quite emphatically.
Looked up everything on the web and found all the back boards, controls and relays from the original manufacturers or distributor for around $125.00 to totally bring it back to new condition and no more intermittent problems.
One thing you will find on an Aqua Hot is that the main brain box is almost identical on every unit. You can ask your neighbor whose is working to borrow their box to see if it is the cause for the failure. We did and found to our dismay that it was the problem once. The Brain Box can also be gotten off the web, brand new, not a rebuilt one, for the same cost as a rebuilt one. We ended up with a rebuilt one for ours as we were down in the desert and waiting 5 days was not an option we liked. Several years later it is still working however.
An AQUAHOT is not rocket science, just new to most but once you work on them you find you understand it much better and then you can not get so excited and pay for someone to do mostly minor $$$$ repairs to keep it going. Brain Box is plug/unplug so it is very simple test.