Visit our BAC Favorite Places Web Page

Author Topic: Rusted Toilet Flange  (Read 194 times)

Adam Hicklin

• BAC Member
Rusted Toilet Flange
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:18:13 AM »
On the last trip I noticed a discoloration in the grout in front of the toilet and some random wetness around the base of the toilet.  Couldn’t pinpoint a leak though.  Once home, I disassembled the toilet and found that the metal flange, around the plastic sewer pipe, had rusted through an many spots.  It had been leaking, or at least getting wet, for a very long time.  So, toilet rebuild and hoping to find a retrofit toilet flange that will work without too much work/demolition.  I’ll try to post the progress.

Also, since I’ll be replacing most of the toilet parts, I want to eliminate the overflow drain in the Sealand Traveler 511.  I got the ball seal kit WITHOUT the hole for the overflow, as suggested.  But do I need to fill/cover the hole under the rim if the toilet?  If any water gets in there, it will be trapped.  Any suggestions?
1998 Marquis
Magnum Chasis
C-12

Mike Shumack

• BAC Member
  • Orlando, Florida
Re: Rusted Toilet Flange
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:29:16 AM »
You may need to replace the flange with a "Universal Flange Kit" *as recommended in the Sealand 511 manual) such as this https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/sealand-toilet-universal-mounting-flange-kit-white-385310139
This is the gasket http://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-sealand-4-bolt-toilet-floor-flange-seal.html
- Mike

'05 Beaver Patriot Thunder, Vicksburg, CAT C13  525HP, Allison 4000MH, HydraLift

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
  • 2005 Monterey Bayview IV
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 02:30:42 AM »
I recently went through this ugly repair and would caution you that the rusted flange may only be the tip of your problem(s). I discovered the issue after I felt and heard the tiles around the base begin to move. Once I removed the toilet, I soon discovered that the water had seeped below the tiles and that a considerable amount of the subfloor was wet, soft and moldy. The tiles just lifted out.  I tediously removed 3/8” deep area of subfloor and glued/screwed in a plywood floor patch on which I could remount a complete new ABS flange and drain pipe assembly that extends into the black tank below. Attached is a picture of the damage found.
The following users thanked this post: Adam Hicklin

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:49:16 AM »
    As far as the overflow holes in the toilet bowl you need to get some rubber plugs.  I got mine from Lowe’s.  I pushed them and cut of the protruding part using a razor blade.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000
The following users thanked this post: Adam Hicklin