Author Topic: Keyless Entry  (Read 4080 times)

Gwyn Blake

Keyless Entry
« on: March 28, 2020, 11:51:08 AM »
Our coach seems to have a Ghost playing with the entry door and the compartment doors by locking and unlocking them at random. The issue is that the keyless doors will in rapid succession will lock and then unlock. Then it will pause for a few mins and maybe just lock one time and then unlock. I had this similar issue once before and it was the battery in the fob. I changed out the battery and thought it was fixed but oh no it started doing the lock unlock again. I am reaching out for help if anyone can tell me how to fix I sure would appreciate it. Thanks!

Mike Shumack

Re: Keyless Entry
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
Possibly a sticking/failing Relay in the Lock circuit. An easy test - I would replace the Lock Relay (just swap with another one like the Horn Relay) to see if the problem goes away or moves to a different circuit (i.e. Horn).

The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
Possibly a sticking/failing Relay in the Lock circuit. An easy test - I would replace the Lock Relay (just swap with another one like the Horn Relay) to see if the problem goes away or moves to a different circuit (i.e. Horn).

Just a heads up, K19-K-21 are all inter-connected. There are 5 spade terminals on each one. Wires go from one to another and back again. If you take them apart. BE CAREFUL. Mark each wire and make sure you know where it goes. They are already marked on the wire itself, but some of the markings are incomplete because the installer stripped the wire too far up the sleeve. Each spade on each relay has a teeny tiny number at the bottom of it. It takes a BRIGHT light and a magnifying glass to read it. BE CAREFUL.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad
The following users thanked this post: Andrew Shoen

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
If it’s been raining or you’ve washed the coach, the keypad can exhibit those symptoms.  Water gets into the pad electronics.  Been there and had the unit replaced when the coach was new.  It still acted up when it got wet until replaced again, but that time I had the tech super-seal with silicone or Lexel the pad and escutcheon to halt water entry.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »
We have an 06 Monteray, what we found out is the fact that the key pad was wet from rain, it destroyed the 8 electric lock mechanism, also over locked the door latch mechanism. The Beaver Fourm was great help. bottom line is we unplug the key pad on top of dash and we only use the key fobs.  We made extra keys and used pliers to get the locks working again. 
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »
Rain invaded our keypad too.  I took some Lexel and smeared it around the edges and over the top.  That was five years or so ago and it's never had another problem.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »
In my 05 Monterey the keypad had an altitude issue, during a Colorado rally the keypad would not operate over about 8,000 ft. I replaced mine and I believe they are still available from the manufacturer (although now closed for covid 19)

https://www.keyless.com/ke-1700/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:10:43 PM by Jim Edwards »
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

Gwyn Blake

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
If it’s been raining or you’ve washed the coach, the keypad can exhibit those symptoms.  Water gets into the pad electronics.  Been there and had the unit replaced when the coach was new.  It still acted up when it got wet until replaced again, but that time I had the tech super-seal with silicone or Lexel the pad and escutcheon to halt water entry.

Joel

Gwyn Blake

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
If it’s been raining or you’ve washed the coach, the keypad can exhibit those symptoms.  Water gets into the pad electronics.  Been there and had the unit replaced when the coach was new.  It still acted up when it got wet until replaced again, but that time I had the tech super-seal with silicone or Lexel . Hey Joel it has been raining almost every other day and I do spray the coach with water also. So this for sure possibly could be the issue! Thank You !!!

Gwyn Blake

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
We have an 06 Monteray, what we found out is the fact that the key pad was wet from rain, it destroyed the 8 electric lock mechanism, also over locked the door latch mechanism. The Beaver Fourm was great help. bottom line is we unplug the key pad on top of dash and we only use the key fobs.  We made extra keys and used pliers to get the locks working again.
Hey Dale thank you for the info and I think that's what i'm going to do. I don't have a lock unlock pad on the dash but there is one on the outside of entry door. So when this rain clears out I'm going to DC that keyless entry. As I was writing this message it started locking and unlocking the entry door. I do now believe it is something to do with the rain! Thanks Again!

Andrew Shoen

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 01:11:52 PM »
How did you DC it? Mine is a constant high pitch and the number pad is dead. Key FOB will still work but the noise it very irritating.

Thanks
2006 Beaver Monterey Pacifica
C9