Author Topic: replacing batteries  (Read 4076 times)

Cody Foss

replacing batteries
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
Need help in deciding what kind of engine batteries to get for our '97 Marquis. Don't know if maintenance free or the lead-acid would be best. Any suggestions?

Gerald Farris

Re: replacing batteries
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
Most cranking batteries are maintenance free, however maintenance free lead-acid batteries will still have some, although not major corrosion problems at the terminals. Where the maintenance free AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries have no corrosion problems. However the AGM battery is about twice as expensive when compared to a lead-acid battery.

The most important feature when looking for replacement cranking batteries is the CCA (cold cranking amps) capacity. The CCA rating on a battery gives you an idea of how much power the battery will make available to the starter to crank the engine. If the battery does not have and adequate CCA, the engine will turn over slower and make starting more difficult.

The bottom line is that you need a good quality battery with an adequate CCA rating. The fact that whether it is a lead-acid or AGM should be determined by what corrosion levels are acceptable to you and how deep your pockets are.

Gerald

Joe DeWeese

Replacing batteries
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 05:47:09 PM »
     I have decided to replace my chassis batteries (Interstate 31 MHD, 950 CCA) as they are 7 years old.  I haven't had any issue with them but they must be getting near the end of their life.  I have shopped around for replacements (Group 31) and have quotes from NAPA, Interstate, O'Reilly, etc.  After a number of conversations with Costco, it appears they don't carry Interstate Group 31 batteries.  I can get replacement 31 MHD from Interstate but they cost ~40-50% more than other brands.  There is one that interests me; a Duracell 31C that claims 950 CCA and is available from Sams Club.  Does anyone have any experience with these Duracell batteries? 
Thanks,

Joe D.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 07:16:04 PM »
The chassis batteries on my '05 Patriot were getting weak (3 yrs ago) so the CAT dealer replaced with CAT batteries. About $300 for the pair if I remember correctly. Maint. free, not AGM. Not an unreasonable price, especially for CAT.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Joe, we use these in our cars and trucks. My brother-in-law uses Duracell in his farm equipment.  He is very particular. 
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
I also use CAT batteries. Bill is right in that they were about  $300 for the pair. Their CCA is 1000 vs 950 for the Interstates and the price is competitive with them if I remember correctly.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »
Last year when I had time to look, Interstate had 31-MHD (maintenance-free) for $150 @, and Batteries Plus Bulbs had Duracell’s at $125 which I believe was due to their commonly found 10% coupon.

I still can’t find time to replace my entire battery set, and resurrect their tray, doggone it.  When I do it’ll likely be those Duracell’s, and either ~$1240 for 4 Interstate AGM Deep Cycles or $396 for 4 Costco Interstate GC2’s (wet cells).  Maybe I’ll just make one trip to Batteries Plus... 4 of their Duracell AGM Deep Cycles were (last year) ~$1260 With coupon, only $20 more than at the Interstate store. 

$1510 for 2 chassis and 4 AGM deep cycle is still a ways from $646 if I go wet cell deep cycles again.  But as batteries age, esp. the deep cycle wet cells, they take more charge effort and gas more.  So as they get older more corrosion appears in the tray area.

If I’ve got it right, the chassis set do not need the regular equalizing charge that deep cycle house batteries benefit from:  helping to keep sulfur in solution by knocking it off the oversized lead plates.  Neither do AGM’s.  So in your battery configuration you can mix wet cell/maintenance-free chassis with AGM house, and reset the inverter remote screen and the solar charger dip switches to AGM, so there is no equalizing cycle.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George Harwell

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »
Joe, I got 14 years out of my Interstate 31-mhd chassis batterys. My 03 Monterey is always outside so the solar panel keeps them charged if I am not hooked to shore power. Got replacements around 2 years ago for $150 each in Wichita, Kansas. The dealer said 14 years was a record for him, that 12 years was the most he had seen.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 12:38:10 AM »
George, my Interstates are factory originals, i.e. 14 years old.  But you beat me... the coach has been parked for 3 years and the house set mostly started leaving a couple years ago, and now pretty much are all gone but one of the four, which still has a little life.  Like yours, the solar kept them pretty much charged while at home here.  But as the deep cycles aged, and I often switched to 30 amp input during low-sun winters, they tended to demand more from the charger.  That is a vicious cycle that hits the batteries harder and harder over time, until they easily boil dry.  The inverter doesn't read anything anymore unless I reset it by unplugging its phone connector in back.

I'm not sure but what the chassis set are still viable;  they still read okay voltage-wise, are maintenance-free, and may still have enough to start the engine.  Since advice was to either fully road-warm up after starting or don't start at all, and getting the rig out on the street here is a major operation, I simply don't start it, despite strong temptation and urges to hear that great CAT diesel sound.  Regardless, I will be changing all 6 batteries when I do it. 

But the 6 volt ones are so bad off now that I have to add water often, and just the solar charging is enough to boil that off and cause a lot of corrosion on some posts and the tray, which I'll refurbish during the switch out job.  The older the batteries get, however long their viability and usefulness, the more they demand charger effort and the more they gas and corrode surrounding copper or steel and melt plastic. 

So for any one with wet cell deep cycles, I'd not advise retaining them as long as you and I have, even though it sounds like some sort of record or impressive accomplishment.  Mine should have been replaced 3 years ago.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joe DeWeese

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
Well, I'm not certain about the Duracell Group 31 batteries after looking at their web site.  Sams Club claims they are rated for 950 CCA but the Duracell information on their web site says they are only rated for 700 CCA.  I think I'll stay away from them as we are in Colorado and need power when it's cold occasionally.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 09:52:05 PM »
Joe, peruse B+ website and you’ll see there are multiple options in the 31 group of batteries, including cranking amp options in the higher range.    https://www.batteriesplus.com/search?q=Group+31

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli31shp

Joel
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:04:45 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat