Author Topic: water heater  (Read 2314 times)

Michael DeFalco

water heater
« on: July 04, 2021, 12:50:52 AM »
hello again , i have questions about our water heater. i have really no idea how the water is getting hot  electric , engine or hurricane or all three ???  the coach is a 2000 marquis tourmaline. any help would be much appreciated.      mike

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: water heater
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 01:08:57 AM »
Our coach is a 2004 Marquis and has an Aquahot.  You mentioned a hurricane.  Do you know if your coach has a Hurricane?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 01:16:09 AM »
hi dave , it does . but i don't now if it gives me the hot water because have not used the coach in cold weather as of yet . hurricane is not turned on now? but I'm not sure if i should use it for hot water ,im not sure if it would do that job ?? MIKE

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 01:24:37 AM »
I found this on a GOOGLE search.  It seems to have lots of info about Hurricane systems and some links to a brochure and related equipment.

https://sopac.co.nz/products/heating-hot-water/itr-hurricane-marine-hydronic-heating-systems

Sorry, as I said, our RV is Aquahot equipped; I do not know much about a Hurricane.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 04:30:33 AM »
Michael,
The water is heated by both engine heat when driving via a heat exchanger mounted by the Hurricane. When you turn on the "Coach Heat" switch (think that's how it's labeled) on the panel to the left of the driver this function is activated. Water is also heated by the Hurricane when it is running, again via the heat exchanger. When plugged into shore power it uses the electrical elements in the heater itself.
Coach Assist has the 2 Hurricane operation manuals if you don't have one.
Also the 2000 Patriot Owners manual describes the operation of the unit on pgs 46-48.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 01:31:48 PM »
wow! thanks much for that information steve ,that clears up some of the fog . i will definitely be checking those manuals for i don't have any.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 02:42:31 PM »
   Michael,
 I too have a 2000 Marquis. Lets start with some basic information. I am assuming you have the coach plugged into shore power and you have the city water connected in the water compartment and it is turned on? When you open any hot water faucet, does water come out? If so that would indicate there is water inside the water heater. Next go to the closet and confirm that the water heater circuit breaker is turned on. If so, you should get hot water in about 20 minutes. Next turn that circuit breaker "off" and turn on the Hurricane switch located under the overhead cabinet above the rear dinette chair. It should illuminate green. Go outside and listen at the first compartment on the passenger side for the hurricane furnace to come on. If so, it will run until it brings the water temperature inside the water heater the same as if on electric. If you are using the shower, it will make hot hot water as long as you have the shower faucet turned on. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 12:21:18 PM »
thank you, fred it does help .  can u also  tell me what determines the source of energy to the water heater? Steve had explained to me that there are three sources that generate heat for the water heater but what conditions choose which source?
also i read in the manual that there are summer/winter position valves near the hurricane for which i have not found .do u know where they may be located ?

i so much appreciate  all the feed back from u guys !!!   mike     

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 02:57:50 PM »
    Michael,
 To answer your first question, you determine the energy source between electric or the diesel fired hurricane. The engine coolant source of heat is determined by the 3 way valve located under the access hatch between the bed and the closet. When the valve is in the "summer" position, it circulates hot engine coolant thru the water heater internal heat exchanger while you are in transit so you always have hot water when you stop. When the 3 way valve is in the "winter" position. it by-passes the water heater. When you have the 20 amp electrical circuit breaker on, the element inside the water heater heats the water just like a house. (usually good for 1 shower). The Hurricane heats the water continually as long as there is a demand for hot water. The hurricane also provides the entire coach with heat thru the heat exchangers located in 4 locations in the coach. Set the thermostat to "heat" and desired temperature, then turn on the Hurricane switch and then the heat exchangers switch to low or high fan setting and in 15 minutes you will get warm air from the exchangers. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV

Michael DeFalco

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 10:02:49 PM »
Fred , i purchased this MH on pictures on seen online.i did not know a thing about motor homes!
 (still don't)   i scoured over them for weeks and weeks and as i did ,i picked up on several high end features and some features that were slight ,but seemed to me to be over the top on the small details. not over engineered but engineered for convience after realizing that this MH had features that are now on upper end Motor Homes and some that still offer some items as options . i new this was the Motor Home i wanted to Purchase.
Now as i ask questions to this Forum and i get responses from experienced and very helpful smart people I'm so gratful i choose a Beaver coach.
this turned out to be a history /thank you note sorry.    so thank u Fred for your help on the hot water heat system it was and still is a little bit foggy but as i stated above it seems to have been engineered thoroughly for the owners convenience.

thank you Fred

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »
    Michael,
What you have purchased was the very top of the Beaver line offered back in 2000. Suggested retail was $465,000 back then. Worth about $65,000 to $75,000 now dependent on condition. Good luck with your adventure! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV