Author Topic: Catalytic Converters  (Read 3129 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Catalytic Converters
« on: September 01, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »
I have seen on other forums where catalytic converters are stolen off off motor homes. It appears to be a big problem everywhere now. I am curious to know if my patriot thunder even has a catalytic converter and if it does how difficult would it be for thieves to get to it.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Catalytic Converters
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »
Catalytic converters are for gasoline exhaust systems.  You needn’t worry about your ‘02 Patriot.
Now your towed Chevy…
It takes experienced guys only a couple of minutes to take a converter.  Some people have guard plates installed to discourage those fellows that look for easy marks, but nothing perfectly deters the determined ones.

Oregon just passed legislation to severely impede the illicit converter trade here, so hopefully that game will cease.  I’m sure they’ll find some other criminal activity to spend their time engaging in. 
The thieves, not necessarily the legislators 🤭.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 12:44:06 AM »
Actually, My equinox is a Turbo Diesel. So I’m assuming it does not have a CC either, right?
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 11:05:45 AM »
For what it's worth...  my 2005 C13 has a catalytic converter (sort of). Its called a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC).

The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »
For what it's worth...  my 2005 C13 has a catalytic converter (sort of). Its called a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC).

I just looked the DOC up on the Internet. Wow, they cost a lot more than a CC making them more desirable to thieves than an CC. I am not sure when the DOC was required on diesel motors so I’m not sure if I have one on mine. My coach sits in the open under a shelter about 100 feet from my house. An acquaintance of mine in this area had his CC stolen off his gas motorhome a month ago. Just wondering how worried I should be.
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »
From my research, it looks like the DOC came out in 2004 with the introduction of the "ACERT" engines. I'm not sure if other manufacturers (Cummins, Detroit, etc.) use them or not. In 2007, Cat switched to the (more expensive) Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) so the DOC was only used for a short time.

I asked Dave if I could just replace it (when the time comes) with a standard muffler - I don't think the engine cares what happens to the exhaust after it leaves the engine - but Dave recommends to replace it with another DOC if/when the time comes. Hopefully I won't need to worry about that for some time.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 02:31:02 AM »
From my research, it looks like the DOC came out in 2004 with the introduction of the "ACERT" engines. I'm not sure if other manufacturers (Cummins, Detroit, etc.) use them or not. In 2007, Cat switched to the (more expensive) Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) so the DOC was only used for a short time.

I asked Dave if I could just replace it (when the time comes) with a standard muffler - I don't think the engine cares what happens to the exhaust after it leaves the engine - but Dave recommends to replace it with another DOC if/when the time comes. Hopefully I won't need to worry about that for some time.

Well, that clears up my concerns…. I don’t have a CC or DOC on my coach. Thanks All!
Fred & Cindy