Author Topic: 3126 fuel filter base and filter options  (Read 1491 times)

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
3126 fuel filter base and filter options
« on: June 12, 2022, 08:20:04 PM »
@Dave Atherton, or anyone….

Can we use the same fuel filters, bases for our older Beaver coaches too as these mentioned in attached images?

Looking to replace both primary and secondary .  Been having issues with the existing primary base and filter and think it’s warped or cracked or something…tried replacing filters and using different ones and still get a seal blowout on occasion.  I know early on I was possibly tightening to tight, but now a I am careful to not be so strong .. lol .

Anything special about these bases that a NAPA Gold 4770 doesn’t suffice?

Thanks Ron

Quotes

Question primary fuel filter. If you go away from aftermarket and put Cat primary filter
along with filter base and fitting here are the Cat Part numbers, filter element 133-5673,
water bowel collector 129-0375, filter base 137-4367, fitting 120-6726 need 2, o-ring
seal 3J-1907. Any question that I can help with your C-9 feel free to ask.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Leah Draper, forget one thing you asked secondary fuel filter for a C-9 Engine.
Your fuel filter is IR-0751 and is a 2 micron filter. One thing I would allways
suggest using a 2 micron Cat only, ( use of non-cat fuel filters removes your
fail safe for your engine fuel system with engine ECM ) and puts your engine
risk. Next thought I would suggest and stay with Cat for all OEM parts and
stay away aftermarket parts. The word aftermarket just means what it says,
With the cost of your C-9 engine I would not think about aftermarket repairs
saving money. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Leah, just getting ready to post information to correct hydraulic hose break down. The
correct Cat Part numbers for fuel/water filter.  137-4367 filter base, 129-0375 bowel,
133-5673 filter element, 120-6726 elbow fittings ( need 2 ) cost total $ 153.52

Cat fuel line from primary fuel filter to fuel transfer pump suction inlet.  Cat fuel line
part number 9X-2374, need: 44 inch long  @ .36 per inch $ 15.84, crimp hose ends
-8 JIC female swivel part number 92752 $ 8.69 each, $ 17.38 ( need 2 ), adapter 96515
steel fitting 37 C5315 Note: this adapter is used on C-12, C-13, C-15 fuel transfer pump
only. C-9, C-7, 3126 E, B, A do not use this adapter.

From Mike S

That base looks like the CAT filter base I just bought (I switched from the Raycor to the CAT filter setup in January). It is part number 137-4367 (for base).

Jerry, your filter does not appear to have a "clear bowl" to let you see (and drain) any water that accumulates in the filter. It may not be necessary to have the clear bowl, but its nice to be able to take a quick look and know if there is water or not.

The base is the same Cat base I have, it takes CAT filter (133-5673) and clear bowl (129-0375).

The CAT primary filter crosses to a WIX 33780. (That WiX filter has a drain on the bottom, but not a clear bowl). The thread size is 1-14", the diameter is 4.282", and the micron rating (WIX) is 13.

So if you wanted the CAT filter or the clear bowl, you can just install it on your coach. The base is the same.
However, the WIX filter will do the job just fine so there is no need to change to CAT, IMO (unless Dave says to do so).

1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: 3126 fuel filter base and filter options
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 09:01:05 PM »
Ron, the primary water/fuel filter with or without plastic bowel at base or a drain really is not a
big issue except cost. Caterpillar or aftermarket is not a big issue here. What really is a very big concern is the secondary fuel filter 1R-0751 2 micron fuel filter. Let’s go back when caterpillar built
the 3100 series engines , this engine was build and tested for a 2 micron 1R-0751 fuel filter to
be installed as the secondary fuel filter these engines. The big question that many do not understand
reason for the 1R-0751 2 micron it sets up a fail safe for the fuel system with the engine ECM. That
being said, the 1R-0751 fuel filter new and installed on engine sets up a 5 psi back pressure within
fuel system. As diesel fuel fines settle within the fuel filter and fuel filter is reaching end of service
at 10 psi back pressure Amber light will flash indicate fuel filter, at 13 psi engine will derate to 37 %
which means fuel filter must be replaced.

Last by using aftermarket fuel filter or like kind that screw on ( yes they will work ) but it is not a
2 micron 1R-0751 your aftermarket fuel filter is allowing diesel fuel fines entering the fuel rail and
problems will be very expensive with replacement of injectors over time.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Ron Davis

Ron Davis

• BAC Member
  • Ron and Noah, Parrot Pets Marley and Tika,
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 11:19:19 PM »
Thanks Dave….. that’s exactly what I was anticipating hearing…. And helpful to clear the air on what details  matter…

Follow up question then what remote mount filter base is best for the 1R 0751 filter?   The base currently on my rig seems small in diameter for this filter.  It fits but I can see some of the gasket exposed…

I said primary in my earlier post.  I did mean secondary base…..  the primary water sep. system was bypassed in Phoenix last year,…. I suspect that means my 2 micron 1R 0751 will have less life expectancy due to unfiltered fuel hitting it straight away.

I don’t see an amber light anywhere, nor have I had any check engine lights during any of the incidents.  I am not aware of any way to monitor the fuel pressure in the cab or in the bay or electronically with say a Bluefire dongle/app. 

Appreciate all the help.  Thanks. 
1996 Beaver Patriot Trenton
CAT3126 Allison 6sp 3000
Magnum B Chassis
Flat Towing a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 01:28:18 AM »
Ron, yes I would go with the correct caterpillar secondary filter base on . To answer your next question,
If you did not have a caterpillar 1R-0751 on engine or you did not have a caterpillar filter to answer the
Question about the amber light the fuel filter did not need change out. Now if you been using a aftermarket fuel filter the Amber light would not come on because there is not any fuel back pressure
build up to meet caterpillar fail safe requirements. Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic