Author Topic: Heater Craft question  (Read 14717 times)

barbhalsell

Heater Craft question
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »
Question, what is this and why do I have a switch for it below my counter?
So we have a Hurricane system as well as some kind of hydronic Heater Craft system?
Sorry to be so clueless about our coach but we have no original manuals or paperwork. I would love to have someone with a 2000 Patriot tell me what all our coach came equipped with.
Also, since we have not messed with the Hurricane system yet, why do I have almost instant hot water when I have the switch turnd off?

Edward Buker

Re: Heater Craft question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:32:40 AM »
When you ask what is this? You need to add a photo so we understand what it is you are asking about.

The hurricane heaters also have a 120V electric element (I think given I have one in an Aqua Hot) either in the Hurricane itself or a supplimental add on tank which would supply hot water without the burner. Folks with a Hurricane heater may chime in....

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:39:10 AM »
The Heater Craft switch below your counter controls the fan speed in the kitchen/living room zone of the Hurricane system.  Somewhere in your bedroom is a similar switch for the rear zone.  Your Hurricane system incorporates an electric hot water heater in addition to the diesel-fired system.  The electric heater is controlled by breaker on the panel in the rear closet.  If you use the Hurricane system AND the electric tank you will have both instant hot water and UNLIMITED hot water.  Our Hurricane is always on.  I've uploaded a Hurricane manual here: http://weisstravels.com/resources/Hurricane_manual_R4.pdf

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:49:21 AM »
Thank goodness we have this forum!
Thank you Ed and Joel, we are so glad you dont mind answering questions. Your help is so much appreciated. Hopefully we can thank you both in person one day.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 05:38:38 AM »
Your 2000 Patriot has a  marine electric hot water heater that is mounted directly above the Hurricane heater, however the Hurricane heater does not have a 120V heating element in it. The only way that you can heat the coach electrically with the Hurricane system is through the use of an aftermarket Comfort-Hot system if one has been added to the coach.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
I've been going through a learning curve on the Hurricane as well.  First, I had a leak in the hot water heater at the heat exchanger tubes.  Not unusual for these units and I have gone through several back in my boating days.  The are not expensive at ~275.00 from Jamestown Distruibuting.  Simple to replace except for having to drain the coolant from the Hurricane.  This HW heater is very effective in it's own right and we have never had to run the furnace for hot water.

Now that we're in Jackpot, NV, the temps are cooling off at night so I'm finally getting to use the system in the mornings and find it quite satisfactory.  We also have a built in electic baseboard heater (under the fridge blowing forward) that takes most of the load overnight.  Once you get use to the Hurricane you will really like it.  Not sure why Beaver went to the Aqua Hot in later coaches but personally I like the modular design of the Hurrican as it it pretty simple to work on.

I haven't quite figured out the "preheat" switch on the driver console but I think it's for preheating the engine coolant and might also heat the coach using engine heat for heating the hurricane coolant.  Working on understanding that.

Check the hour meter on the burner box and you might as well perform the recommended cleaning of the burner and orfice while you're at it.

Good luck

Dick and Pat

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
Preheat button should be for preheating glo plugs on the diesel, we think that makes sense anyway. However, I would let the MUCH more experienced Beaver owners weigh in on this.
Its all good learning everything we can on this Hurricane system, thank you Dick for your input on this.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:19:21 PM »
Quote from: barbhalsell
Preheat button should be for preheating glo plugs on the diesel, we think that makes sense anyway. However, I would let the MUCH more experienced Beaver owners weigh in on this.
Its all good learning everything we can on this Hurricane system, thank you Dick for your input on this.

Nope, this is a Hurricane related item.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
Quote from: Dick Simonis
We also have a built in electic baseboard heater (under the fridge blowing forward) that takes most of the load overnight.  .

I have an air grill under the fridge but always assumed it was like the others.  How do you know this is electric?  Does it have a separate control?

I haven't quite figured out the "preheat" switch on the driver console but I think it's for preheating the engine coolant and might also heat the coach using engine heat for heating the hurricane coolant.  Working on understanding that.

The dashboard switch will do two things.  When you are driving in cold weather turn the main Hurricane control switch to "OFF" but leave the blower switches on and the thermostat set where you want it.  As you drive warm coolant will circulate in the system and keep the coach warm.  Conversely, if the dashboard switch is ON overnight while the Hurricane is running, warm coolant will preheat the engine and make it easier to start.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss

Re the electric heater.  Yes, it is electric and does have a separate temp control.  Right now it's keeping my tootsies warm as I set at the table.  The Hurricane air handler faces athwart-ship and the electric faces forward.  Both accessed by removing the under fridge draws.

Good explanation of the preheat.  I knew it would preheat the coolant and suspected the reverse would also be true.  Hopefully, I'll never be somewhere so cold I need to use that function.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:30:36 PM by 14 »

barbhalsell

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Would be nice to have a full coach manual that explained those buttons on the dash too.
Thanks Joel for the heads up, thought maybe it was like a tractor preheat LOL!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 05:07:32 PM »

Re the electric heater.  Yes, it is electric and does have a separate temp control.  

I guess this is another example of the randomness of RV manufacturing.  Out of curiosity, where is the the control for this heater?  I have the same two vents, but all I have down there is one Hurricane heater unit that sucks air in one vent and send it out the other.  There is a lot of empty space, and it's easy to see how a heater might be added.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:27:32 PM by 6332 »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss

I guess this is another example of the randomness of RV manufacturing.  Out of curiosity, where is the the control for this heater? I have the same two vents but all I have down there is one Hurricane heater unit that sucks air in one vent and send it out the other,  There is a lot of empty space and it's easy to see how a heater might be added.

It's on the front of the heater.  I suspect it was added by the PO but it's a neat job.  I have the manual someplace in the mass of documents so I can send you the data if you like.  Hardest part is running the wire....no idea where the breaker is.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 11:44:14 PM »

It's on the front of the heater.  I suspect it was added by the PO but it's a neat job.  I have the manual someplace in the mass of documents so I can send you the data if you like.  Hardest part is running the wire....no idea where the breaker is.

Thanks, but by the time we finish the installation of our new residential fridge the available space is going to be reduced quite a bit.  I'll probably just buy an inexpensive heater at Walmart this winter and set it on the floor by the table.  I can get a $10 heater that will take the chill off without the Hurricane needing to run.

barbhalsell

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
Dick and Pat, I would like to hear more about your add-on electric heater located under your fridge. We have the room and it sounds like a tidy solution for times when you have electricity and dont want to burn diesel.
Barb