Author Topic: Convert Genset to Propane  (Read 5482 times)

Sean Donohue

Convert Genset to Propane
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »
Has anyone convered their generator to Propane. We have a propane tank on board and it is only used for the fridge and stove. With the fuel prices these days the conversion might make sense if the break-even on the cost is there.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Convert Genset to Propane
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
You cannot convert a diesel generator to LP only a gas engine with spark plugs. Gas and LP uses a spark to ignite the fuel air mixture in the combustion chamber. Diesel engines uses compression to ignite the fuel air mixture. Compression is 8.5 or so to 1 in a gas or LP generator. Diesel engines are closer to 20 to 1.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 05:16:24 AM »
It is technically possible to convert your diesel generator to propane, although it is not economically piratical. It would cost about 1/2 as much to buy a new propane generator as it would to convert your generator to propane.

Now for the logic of using a propane generator vs. a diesel generator. An air cooled propane generator will run hotter and last about 1/4 as long as a water cooled diesel generator. The next point is fuel cost. A propane generator will burn from 50% more to twice as much fuel as a diesel generator under the same load conditions.

So if you take into consideration the difference in fuel cost between diesel and propane, you will see that the more efficient diesel unit is still cheaper to operate. Also if you consider the small propane vs. the large diesel tank, you will see that you will have to go out of your way to locate and purchase propane if you use your propane generator very much because your propane tank will only last about 2 days when you run your air conditioners on generator.

I had a propane generator on my first Beaver (a 93 Patriot) and the propane generator was the largest negative that existed on that coach. I would not have one if you gave me a new propane generator and installed it free in exchange for my 11 year old diesel unit.

Gerald  

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 05:38:26 AM »
To add to Gerald's comments, don't forget that your diesel generator burns <1/2 gal an hour from a 130 gal tank.  A propane generator will burn ~1/2 gal an hour from a tank that holds at most <15 gal of propane (4 lbs per gallon).  

Keith Oliver

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
My propane gen pulls from a 35 gal tank (according to the specs).  Also feeds the stove, fridge and furnace.

MarcRodstein

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »
Most people who have propane generators would gladly trade theirs for your diesel generator. Propane generators create a fuel-availabilty and replenishment problem. With a diesel gen you never have to think about it, just keep your main diesel tank from getting low as you would anyhow.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:03:02 AM by 210 »

Joel Weiss

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
Quote from: Keith Oliver
My propane gen pulls from a 35 gal tank (according to the specs).  Also feeds the stove, fridge and furnace.

My mistake, but it's still a lot smaller reservoir than provided by the diesel tank.

Sean Donohue

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »
Thanks for all the input, from which it is certain the break even is not there... Thanks