Author Topic: ADJUSTMENT ON ENTRY DOOR  (Read 10148 times)

Roger Bowton

ADJUSTMENT ON ENTRY DOOR
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:10 AM »
On our '06 Monterey, our door locks open, requiring us to reach up and bump the linkage at the top of the door, before we can close it.  I'm sure there is a fix, but that is not in my bag of skills. Any help would be appreciated.

Roger
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:16:24 AM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: ADJUSTMENT ON ENTRY DOOR
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:19:02 AM »
To unhook th latch, pull open the door handle (inside or outside).  While holding the handle open, start the door closing.  

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:34:01 AM »
If Larry's suggestion doesn't do the trick, personal experience with that top linkage leads me to proffer having the techs in Bend check it for you, if at all possible.  If that linkage isn't just right, it can tend to either lock up or not hold the door open at all.  The guys at BCS seem to know what to tweak where, but ultimately had to replace our linkage altogether.  

One thing you can check is the screws that mount the linkage to the frame and door;  you may need a ladder to inspect and fix the mount on top of the door.  Loose screws up there can foul up proper alignment and operation of the scissors linkage.  We even had one screw totally missing on ours.

The linkage and window, as well as latch, lock, and other components can really take a beating;  the entry door isn't always gently closed.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
Rodger,
Larry's suggestion is the proper way to close the door if your coach is equipped with a Posi-lock door latch, however Monaco stopped using the Posi-lock feature on some of the latter model coaches because of expense.

So if your coach does not have a Posi-lock latch, you will have to determine the problem with with your linkage, and repair as necessary. Sometimes the screws that hold the top pivot in the door are stripped or loose, sometimes the rivet in the center of the scissor linkage is loose and letting the detents bypass their stop, or the detents can be worn or damaged where replacement or fabrication becomes necessary.        

There is a possibility that your coach has a Posi-lock latch that is malfunctioning also. If that is the case,you will have to determine the problem (usually a broken cable), and repair or replace as necessary. As you can see, your problem is not a "one size fits all" issue, so it will take some investigation and possibly, but not necessarily, some expertise to repair.    

Gerald                                

Dick Crovisier

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 10:37:59 PM »
I have just yesterday replaced the Arm Swing stnis Sti Pre-Hung REV E, Sku 08409451 on our 2007 Contessa.

The part was purchased from Monaco RV for $ 129.24 and was pulled from Monaco R V bin 064C.

The center rivet was worn to the point that the door would slide past the stop that is supposed to limit how far the door opens. About half of the time we had to bump the swing arm to start the door closing.

The biggest challenge for me was the removal of the ARM from the top of the door since rivets were used as fasteners. The rivets had to be removed by drilling.

I regret trying this repair myself and in retrospect would have gladly paid to have this repaired by a professional.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 11:28:43 PM by 14 »

Ken Buck

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »
It's interesting that this subject came up as in the last week I've noticed our door sticking open a little too. I just lubed the bracket today and now it works like new again. I'm sure yours can't be as simple, but it might be worth a try. I use the spray lube from Boeing. No, I didn't steal a can, it's for sale at most boating and larger marts. It was amazing the difference it made.

Ken

Robert Mathis

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 03:19:29 PM »
i have the same problem on my door and believe the problem is the worn rivet in the scissor hinge. I was thinking about removing the arm and trying to re-brad the rivet.