Author Topic: HWH Air Levelling  (Read 12479 times)

Jeremy Parrett

HWH Air Levelling
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
Gerald, my long time friend, Kurt from BC, is parked next to me with a popped windshield. His 2005 Monaco Windsor has HWH Air levelling.  The coach levels using the manual controls, but as soon as you put it in 'drive' and therefore in 'travel' mode, the left side dumps the air twisting the coach.....yet the 'travel' mode green light stays lit and you could drive the coach.  
Could you please lead me in the right direction here.  Is there a 'level sensor' we can adjust or check??  What could cause this issue?  There are NO leaks at all.  Airbags are are all good.

Thanks,  

Jeremy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:00:37 AM by 14 »

Gerald Farris

Re: HWH Air Levelling
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:22 AM »
Jeremy,
I am not very familiar with the manual air leveling system that you described on the Monaco coach. My suggestion would be to contact HWH technical support. Your friend can discuss the problem with them, and they are good about helping owners trouble shoot their systems.

Gerald

Wayne Tull

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:25:08 AM »
Taken from the HWH manual

leveling is accomplished by isolating the air bags from the height control equipment. Air
is then released from the air bags to lower the vehicle (or)
air is added to the air bags to raise the vehicle.

Once you go to travel mode you are using chassis levelers. You might have a bad level control valve or a broken control linkage on the side that drops (that side rear if you have two in back and one in front).

You will still want to call someone for service.  

JimDyer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:54 AM »
Last year when we left Florida we had a similar situation.............switched it from levelled to travel a bunch of times until it came unstuck. It was a little slow for the first half--mile but then all was well after that.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:35:06 AM »
Hi Gerald,Jim and Wayne,
  Thanks for your ideas.  I like Jim's....we will try that Monday when we leave here for Cabo San Lucas.  I have also found out   you can use the 'raise' button to pump up the suspension ,then pull the fuse with you finger still on the 'raise' button...this prevents the system from entering the 'travel' mode so you drive with it pumped up and no self levelling happens. ...... should get us to Cabo where we can check it out.   Jeremy

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »
This problem is not uncommon with the HWH 600 series levelling system.  A temporary fix is to  manually raise the coach with the 'raise' buttons and then pull the 2   7.5 amp fuses in the control box before engaging a gear. I took the clear plastic cover off the control box ( screwed to the roof in one of the bays) The  two 7.5 amp fuses are at one end of the board containing several fuses of other values. They are easy to see.
This  prevents the system going to 'travel' mode . Periodic checks while driving are advised. The coach will not self level while you are driving as it is designed to do.  
The problem is with the  'ride height valve'.  There are two of these at the rear and one at the front . The front valve failing to balance the coach will twist the frame and  pop the windshield out so by raising the coach to full ride height and disabling the self levelling you will prevent the windshield damage.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
This may not be directly germane to Jeremy's situation, but is somewhat related, and who knows, may be of some use to him.

Monaco didn't like the liability factor accompanying HWH's "raise" feature being available while in Travel mode.  So they added an override that wouldn't let the coach stay where it was when the operator let go of the Raise button.  The override automatically brought things back down to ride height upon button release.  Owners could stay high to clear obstacles in the road if need be, as long as they held down the button, but they wouldn't likely keep the button down and hit the road at 60mph fully raised, obviously an ill-advised option on road curves and with negative effects on drive shaft linkages, etc.

Monaco's built-in fail safe had its place, certainly, and other manufacturers may have followed suit.  I'd like to think we are all not so foolish as to ever drive at road speed fully raised, or to not notice such an oversight in coach position, and perhaps HWH agrees;  but Monaco did not.  Perhaps the safer "ounce of prevention" route that Monaco opted for is best, but unfortunately it brings an aggravating inconvenience when slow maneuvering in circumstances requiring attention to multiple points.  

Getting to the pad at my house means keeping the tail from scraping concrete while backing in a turn over a sidewalk driveway cut, without hitting a fence on one side or garage corner roof eave on the other.  It sure is fun having to hold down the raise button while concentrating on all the other places - and the button has to be constantly pressed and released to keep it at just the right height, because, due to rear axle tie straps, going too high on our particular coach causes the tail to actually lever down lower than it is at ride height, making the hitch scrape the concrete.  Then after clearing the curb, the issue quickly becomes one of the driver's mirror staying high enough to clear the fence, and the awnings clearing the garage gutter.  Fun in a less than 12 ft. wide corridor.

A tech once clued me into Monaco's override connector on the side of the HWH control box.  Disconnecting it allows the coach to remain raised to the point wherever you let your finger off the raise button, while in Travel Mode, as HWH originally designed it.  That takes a lot of stress out of my parking issue.  But choosing to do an end-around on a manufacturer's designed safety function is an individual owner's choice, with potential consequences.  Realizing those consequences, including driveshaft and other mechanical damage, as well as personal injury and accident liability, means proceeding at your own risk.  Common sense and taking ownership of your own actions has to play into it.  

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:59:32 AM »
Further diagnosis today of the Monaco HWH 600 series ride height valve . It was truly blocked up on one side with what looks like metal filings or rusty powder.  We cleaned it and reassembled it expecting to see the two left front air bags inflate.......not!  
Next trick was to disconnect an  air line on the solenoid manifold supplying a right front airbag and connecting the left front airbag line to it.  .......yay.....one of two the left front airbag inflates....so now we know the problem lies with the manifold /solenoid operated air valves that supply air to all 8 air bags.   To get the coach back to the US we are going to T the two air lines from the 2 non working front solenoids to the 2   working front solenoids........this will mean the coach will air up all 4 front airbags from 2 solenoids instead of 4.
We do not know if we will loose the ride heigh feature........meaning we may have to operate the coach fully raised at slow speeds.