Author Topic: What would cause the transmission to get to 247  (Read 4929 times)

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
What would cause the transmission to get to 247
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
degrees when stopped in a rest area for a few minutes?  It normally runs at 195 when going down the road.  I did leave the dash air on and we stopped for about 5 min
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: What would cause the transmission to get to 247
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:09:33 AM »
Did you check to see if the transmission cooler or the radiator had sucked in a lot of paper or other debris?

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:40:33 AM »
I discovered that the transmission was 6 qts low. That is the only time it has done that and I have not noticed any leaking. We had an oil and transmission fluid change so I am puzzled.  We have also done slot of mountain driving but have never gotten overheated while driving.  No warning lights no slipping very strange. Does anybody have any ideas?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »
I guessin it was just heat soaked and when you stopped the temp went up and, I'll bet as soon as you started it the temp went down.  Most engines will do the same thing.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »
 I changed to Transynd last year and the operating temperature  dropped  from 200 deg F down to 175 deg F !!!
  Gerald told me never to idle  in gear even at lights .  Too much heat generated by the transmission .
  Mine will begin to overheat if I leave it in drive D while stationary for any length of time.  
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:05:40 AM by 4115 »

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:26:51 AM »
If you just had your tranny fluid changed that might be the "problem". I've seen another post or two on here that talked about not so top shelf service on fluid changes. I recently had service done to my coach. I wanted the tranny filters changed and the tranny topped off with transsynd. Well, they dumped the transynd, only had 25k miles on it, changed the filters, and refilled with transynd. I picked up the coach and drove it for a couple miles to get everything going. I stopped and check the tranny fluid via the shift pad. It read back that I was 8 qts low. I drove back to the service center, they checked the fluid via the tranny dip stick and it was almost full.

I took the service manager inside the coach and gave him a lesson on how to check the tranny fluid with the shift pad. He was speechless and had never seen how this worked.

Bottom line: they added the appropriate amount of fluid to get a full reading on the pad.

Lesson learned: we all need to be aware that service folks may not be aware of the electronic capability for checking our tranny fluid level. Obviously, the dip stick will reflect a much lower level than the pad on a *complete* fluid change. If you have a fluid change make sure you check the tranny fluid with the shift pad before you drive too far away from the service folks.  

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:43 PM »
John,
If you left the transmission in gear (drive or reverse), with the engine running while the coach was setting still for five minutes, the temperature increase that you experienced is normal. So never set still for more than a minute or so without shifting into neutral.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell