Author Topic: Significant Loss of Power  (Read 5335 times)

Bill Jourdain

Significant Loss of Power
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:01:24 AM »
We were traveling back from Florida today and about the time we got to the "hills" in middle Georgia around Macon on I-75, we noticed a loss of power when starting to climb these small inclines.  As we got further north and the hills a little bit more severe, we experienced a number of severe losses of power to the point that the coach slowed to 30 mph a few times.  Fortunately, we were not far from home at that point and made it there.  I've read a number of posts on the forum about this issue, but not being a mechanic, I'm not sure where to start.  I had the coach serviced last October and the fuel filters were replaced. I store the coach with a full tank to avoid condensation and the problems associated with that.  As we drove today, the check engine light did not come on nor did I see and other mesages on the Silver Leaf or any other dash indicators that indicated I had a problem.

I have had the coach serviced at Lee Smith in Chattanooga and have been pleased with them, but am not sure if I should take the 50 mile mostly uphill drive to see them.  There is a Yancey Brothers CAT repair facility about 8 or 9 miles from my house and I could probably make it there without incident.  Before I go any further, I was hoping to tap into the collective wisdom and experience on the forum to get any ideas or advice any of you may have about the root cause of this problem and the approach I should take to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Bill

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Significant Loss of Power
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:50 AM »
Bill,
Fuel filters would be at the top of my list. Also, when did you last refuel prior to the symptoms? Could be a combination of filters and bad fuel. From what you said, I wouldn't try to make it to Chattanooga, but would opt for the local CAT shop, unless you want to change the filters yourself.
Good luck.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
I second the fuel filters. Mainly the secondary one, the 2 micron filter. The primary would be a 10 or 30 micron. The 2 micron would be first to clog and hinder performance but change them both. It's the least expensive thing to check and you can do it youself. I prefer to use only CAT filters but to each their own. I also keep a spare set with me for insurance on the road. Marty

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 04:23:58 AM »
Probably the fuel filters are the culprit but also check the air cleaner for restriction and any flexible air inlet pipe to be sure that it has not collapsed from air restriction, Diesel needs both air and fuel to produce maximum output so check both. Beyond that the turbo if not functioning properly would reduce the engine output. Cat should be able to diagnose this issue quickly and usually they have a dynamometer at most dealerships that can verify the engine output.

Later Ed

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »
The issue occurred on uphill grades. You did not mention the operating temperature of the engine.  The CAT will degrade to 30 MPH, if the temp limit is reached.

Larry

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
Obviously I dont have the experience that some here do but I found out my exhaust was diminished when the tail pip rusted trough and fell off.  Once I had verified that the muffler was clear I replaced the tail pipe and there was some noticable improvement.

Just an idea.
Keith M.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Jourdain

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
Thanks for the helpful comments. The engine temp was always within normal limits and the tail pipe and muffler appear fine. I am going to take it to Yancey CAT for diagnosis and repair and hope it's a fuel filter issue. I will report back on the cause.

Thanks.

Bill

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:42:27 AM »
Bill,
Like others have said, a restricted fuel filter is the most likely cause of your power loss problem, however be sure to check the intake hose between the turbocharger and the engine intake manifold. A bad leak in that hose will also cause severe power loss.

Gerald