Author Topic: Hurricane recirc pump  (Read 4911 times)

Dick Simonis

Hurricane recirc pump
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Does anyone have the Johnson part # for the recirc pump.  Mine just died last night and I can't quite get my head in the compartment to read the label.

Thanks for any help.

Dick

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hurricane recirc pump
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »
Dick,
Rixen's would probably know what is needed.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dick Simonis

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Thanks Steve I'll give him a try.  The motor has power but doesn't start, perhaps I can get by pulling it apart and replacing the brushes...it's getting pretty bloody cold up here so some heat would be nice.  Of all things, I actually thought about picking up a spare pump when I was at Rixon  Monday getting the Comfort Hot installed.

On would think just about any 4-5 gpm 12 circulating water pump would work.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
An interesting development...went back out and checked the pump some more to verify that it did indeed have power through all the connections and everything is fine except for not running.  Out out frustration I hit it with a wrench and darned if it didn't start running.  At least now we have heat and I've only had to hit it one more time.

Still, it's hard to have confidence in the pump so I'm going to order a new one Monday and just stay put in Deer Park, WA for a few more days until I can get it installed.  The Weather going E through Montana is looking real bad this coming week so staying here may be a good choice anyway.  Snow is forecast through a pass going S. on 15 and I don't have chains for the MH.

Once we get home, I think I can rebuild the old pump and keep it for a spare.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »
Dick,
It is an indication that you have worn-out or sticking brushes in a motor if it starts running after a firm blow from a hammer or wrench. Just remember that you have not repaired the reason for the motor failure and it will happen again if not repaired.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
Gerald, that kind of what I thought and I've only had to hit it one more time so it's working now and a wrench is nearby.  I went ahead and ordered a new pump from Rixen which should be here tomorrow and I can continue my trek across SW Montana.  There quite a storm event scheduled later this week and I didn't want to chance being somewhere in the low 20's and snow without the heater working.

Jim suggested I just unbolt the old motor and bolt in the new one which makes a lot of sense since the pump end is working fine and I don't have to break the fluid connections.

When I get home, I'll fix the old one and keep in in a bay.