Author Topic: Trip Out West any Tips  (Read 11749 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Trip Out West any Tips
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:52:10 AM »
Below is a picture of our route we have so far.  We are spending three plus months on the road in our new to us coach…if we an get all issues taken care of.  We would like any ideas on good RV parks along our route or if you notice any areas we should avoid.  We will have our 2014 Jeep Wrangler in tow so we can set out and see the sites.  Our plan is to spend a week in most areas and work our way around the area sightseeing and getting in some golf.
Thanks,
Larry and Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Lee Welbanks

Re: Trip Out West any Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »
Would help if we knew what the numbers represent, I can guess at some of them but others???

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:37:50 AM »
Larry,
If you are going thru Newport TN on 40, the KOA there is OK and rates aren't bad. If you golf, be sure to play the Smokey Mtn CC course there. You will enjoy it. Looks like you are going thru the Black Hills. Lots of RV park choices. We like Whistler Gulch in Deadwood. Nice park that has shuttle service into Deadwood. If you are stopping in Madison WI, the Madison KOA north of Sun Prairie is very nice. To avoid majority of tolls in the Chicago area we normally take 39 to 80 then east to 65. Parks in the Chicago area are few. We've resorted (no pun intended) to Wal-Marts for overnights a few times there.  Have fun!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »
I don't want to hijack your thread Larry, but I too am planning a trip out West starting from northern IL. I'm wondering what map program you are using that allows more than 10 stops at a time. I have tried Google Maps, both the generic, and the map creator. Also, dabbled with Streets & Trips, and mapquest. They don't allow "add destination" after 10....or as usual, I'm doing something wrong.

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Kathy Hood

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
Looks like a fun trip.  My only question/comment is that you are missing the whole West Coast area and it is so beautiful from Calif. on up with many things to see.
We are also getting ready to leave in our coach for a month and a half.  Up the Calif. coast, hang a right to a reunion in Iowa and then a more southern route back to Calif.
To Stan...we have the Rand McNally RV GPS and I have put in 7 destinations.  After your comment, I'll see if I can add the rest of my trip to the list.

Kathy

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:34:13 PM »
Hey Larry,
We are planning a similar trip in August. It looks like we will follow your lead up to Stop 13 and then we will continue on south to Texas and the Kerrville Rally.
I will be following your thread for good tips and suggestions. We are very poor planners but love to travel!
As you go thru Indiana give us a shout if we are home we live about 10 miles from I65 and would love to meet up with you!

Dan

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Quote from: Kathy Hood
Looks like a fun trip.  My only question/comment is that you are missing the whole West Coast area and it is so beautiful from Calif. on up with many things to see.
We are also getting ready to leave in our coach for a month and a half.  Up the Calif. coast, hang a right to a reunion in Iowa and then a more southern route back to Calif.
To Stan...we have the Rand McNally RV GPS and I have put in 7 destinations.  After your comment, I'll see if I can add the rest of my trip to the list.

Kathy

Thank you Kathy. I'm using map programs on the PC. I have never tried it on our Garmin. No idea it was available, and if that is what Larry is using, for sure I would have no idea how to get it posted on here!  ;D
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
Lee the numbers represent where we plan to stop for as long as a week.  We will need to add in a few more as well.
Stan, I used the Trip Planning tool on the Goodsams website.  I can then add in campgrounds along the route.
Dan...we have a house in Floyd's Knobs that we will be parking at for two days.  Will try to check in with you...we should be there June 10th and 11th.
Kathy we will do the Cali coast on another trip.  We have a son at Edwards and will be hitting Disneyland to run a half marathon with the kids.
For those of you who have travelled do you make reservations in advance?
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
[size=14][/size]Larry and Laura...It looks like you're planning a good trip and some interesting places.  It looks like No. 11 on your map is in the Redmond/Bend area.  If so, I hope your trip includes the FMCA Redmond convention in August.  If so again, I hope you include our BAC volunteer program in your schedule.  There is a rally within a rally also there (Rising in Redmond) being planned by Connie Bradish.  We welcome you to join our great volunteer group with some great fellowship and social time together each afternoon.  Every time we get together we gain new friendships and acquaintances as we socialize together.  Give me a call or email if you have any questions about the Redmond volunteer activities.  There is also another thread herein regarding our volunteer activities.  As a new BAC member welcome aboard and hope to meet you both somewhere down the highway or rally.  Safe travels and keep the shiny side up. 8)
Mandy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »
I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and have programmed in over 30 stops.  Don't know the upper limit.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
Mandy,
We have signed up for the Beaver Ale Trail but are not sure if we can make the FMCA yet but will keep that in mind if we do.

Thanks,
Laura
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:20:01 PM by 21830 »
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

BJ Sprague

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:33 AM »
Bill and I have been traveling across the country for many years.  I tend to be the "planner" type!  My favorite source for RV parks is http://rvparkreviews.com
I like it because it lists user reviews, including those with big rigs, listings of campsite features (50 amp, big rig suitable, types of hookups & sites), map view link to satellite photo (great for overview) and links to each RV park's website.  From there I look at campsite photos and info on the park's website.  This is much more thorough and informative than any of the campground guides.  I can research RV parks using my laptop while Bill is driving.  If you have specific destinations in the west please post on the forum so others can respond.  It's great to exchange travel experiences and planning ideas.
One further idea - try using trip advisor's web site for your travel planning.  Just Google "trip advisor + town name+ things to do."
One last idea - purchase the Fodor's Guide to America's National Parks.  It's available on Amazon and is the best guide for the national parks, monuments, historical sites and federal "not to miss" destinations.  These sites are low cost and a wonderful way to explore the USA.
Happy travels!

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »
Larry,

You may like to consider going from #9 to #11.  Then to #10 and down the Oregon coast, through the Californa Redwoods, east on CA 20 to #12.  As long as you are going that far west, you may as well enjoy the west coast.

The other Larry
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 12:20:05 AM by 14 »

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
Larry & Carolyn:
                         We will have to definitely look at your suggestion. Larry had been thinking that we would be missing out on the coast, so we will do some rerouting.

Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »
I heartily agree that you shouldn't miss a leisurely exploration of Hwy 101, but would add that in mid-summer the parks fill up, especially on weekends since natives from the Willamette Valley hit the beaches.  Sites big enough for our coaches and a toad can be harder to find.

During the times Lee and I like to RV the coast, spring and fall and the occasional winter, it's great because you can travel or stay put as your whims dictate;  drive to any open State Park or private one and take your pick of ideal sites.  But midsummer you're going to have to create and stick to an advance plan, and call weeks or more in advance to be sure of spots, depending on area.  Some stretches further south are not quite as bad and offer less development and more scenery anyway.  We favor Bandon and ports south, but Florence/Reedsport lakes and dunes and the great RV parks at Winchester Bay and Lakeside attract us regularly also.   Don't miss time exploring the Rogue River via Jerry's Jetboats at the south end of the bridge in Gold Beach (pick the old hotel at Agness for lunch during your boat trip), and perhaps an overnight at the RV park at Agness.

Midcoast and north have more infrastructure to handle the larger visitor load, but it's just that Lee and I prefer more scenery than shopping opportunity.  Our preferences shouldn't, however, influence you into missing Astoria's wonders, Tillamook, or any of the north coast.

Many of us who've toured Oregon often can offer suggestions before and as you travel, especially we native Beavers;  but there are so many options, don't hesitate to ask as curiosity prescribes. ;)

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat