Author Topic: Route Suggestions Buffalo WY/Yellowstone Grizzly  (Read 8021 times)

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Route Suggestions Buffalo WY/Yellowstone Grizzly
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
Heading out tomorrow from Buffalo Wy to Yellowstone Grizzly park.  Any route suggestions?  How do our coaches do in mountain passes and what engine temps are normal on the uphill grades?
Thanks,
Laura
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Route Suggestions Buffalo WY/Yellowstone Grizzly
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Last year, we took 90 up to Sheridan and then U.S. 14 and U. S. 16 to Cody where we stayed a week and used it as a base for exploring the east side of Yellowstone, and then we went through the park to West Yellowstone and stayed there a week while exploring the west side of Yellowstone. From Cody we took the Chief Joseph Highway on a day trip to the Beartooth in our toad. You don't want to do the Beartooth Highway in a coach.

The coach took the hills well, no problems. You might consider not making the trip all in one day....its slow driving (beautiful scenery) in places and it will be 7 or 8 hours of driving time for the entire trip. Just take your time and be safe. Use the exhaust brake on the grades and you'll be fine. When you get outside of Sheridan the US16/14 splits off to an Alt 14....that route is the most scenic...but lots and lots of switchbacks and up and down grades...you won't make good time there which is why I would caution trying to do the entire trip at once.

Safe travels all,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »
Laura,

I would recommend going from Buffalo, SD (very interesting historic town) on HWY 16 to Worland over Powder Pass, then 14 to Cody.  There is a 11 miles 7% grade that was not a problem.  The downhill from the top of Powder Pass was very steep and beautiful.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

neil omalley

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »
Took this route in May this year. I would recommend Buffalo to Cody via 16 and connecting with 14 vs driving to Sheridan and across 14. The 16/14 to Cody is a piece of cake.  Cody is kinda neat town. Would recommend spending a few days there and by all means visit the Cody museum. Safe trip.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
Laura,

I would recommend going from Buffalo, SD (very interesting historic town) on HWY 16 to Worland over Powder Pass, then 14 to Cody.  There is a 11 miles 7% grade that was not a problem.  The downhill from the top of Powder Pass was very steep and beautiful.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »
I think you mean WY, not SD Karl.  But I agree with the Worland route.  We went that same way to Cody in 1999 with grand kids in the old Pace Arrow after an overnight at Indian RV Park in Buffalo.  The mountains were no problem for that rig so I'm sure a Beaver would do fine.  We stayed one or two nights at a lake in the mountains west of Buffalo where I trolled lures from my inflatable and the kids enjoyed rental paddle boats from the RV park.

The geography coming down to Ten Sleep was a change and as I recall there was a lot of coal activity from there to Worland and Greybull, which provided interest.  The colorful hills surrounding the route were unexpected.  And unless my memory has got towns confused, the kids and we enjoyed an airplane graveyard/museum out of or in Greybull.  Then we cruised straight into Cody and stayed for several days, so you should plan on doing the same as others above have advised too.  We stayed at the RV park in the center of town, a short walk if not right next to the Buffalo Bill museum(s).  Allow a day for that museum if you want to fully absorb the Old West.  We also took in the rodeo that was a short drive away, but that was in August.  I do regret not toading the Beartooth while in Cody, and have yet to see that sight, so try to fit that in if you can as Stan recommends.

If you cruise West Yellowstone, stop in at Bob Jacklin's Fly Shop and say Hi for me, though his memory of our guided trip may have dimmed in the nearly 2 years since.  I like to think my lousy casting technique left an impression  ;D .

Joel
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:30:43 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Wayne Baumann

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
Larry..  We live in Sheridan Wyoming &  have lived hear for 53 years and their are some interesting history between Buffalo Wyo and Sheridan Wyo. also if ;you go too cody from sheridan their is a nices federal park in the big horns at lake sibley that has electric hook up. real nices places to park also sheridan has two nices rv parks and from hear in sheridan you can travel 60 miles north of sheridan by tow vichele and vist custers Battle site and also the unknown is the rose bud battle site north of sheridan 20 miles that was a battle before custer battle  Buffalo Bill spent a lot of time in sheridan when he leased the sheridan in with 60 rooms and planned the town of cody with his partners in Sheridan I could tell you a lot of history about him and General custer. To night I will be going as Buffalo Bill to Hardian Mont. and meet with General Cluster and we both will be dressed as charters and go to 1876 Grand Ball dessed in that peiod of time and danceing. If you want more information call me a 307-752-9244 We are Beaver members and will be at the fmca rally in Redman.         By got to go and Dance.    Buffalo Bill  Wayne & Eidella Baumann

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.  We drove the toad today to see The Battle of Little Bighorn.  So worth that drive!  We have decided to do the 16/14 and overnight in Cody tomorrow.  We have reservations at Grizzly so will only be able to stay one night.

We have done Beartooth Pass a few years ago on a trip to Billings.  That was an amazing drive!
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15