Author Topic: Valve Stems & Tire Age  (Read 3539 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Valve Stems & Tire Age
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:34:04 AM »
Had a problem with the left steer tire valve stem. It would stay open after being depressed to check or add air. Occurred about 2 months ago and I assumed a bad core so replaced it. Then had coach in for service at local RV shop and asked them to top off tires. Noticed on invoice that they had replaced a valve stem. Checked air earlier this week and same problem but got it to seal by tightening core. Took it to Robert's Tires here in Chandler this AM, thinking I needed a new valve stem. Tech took one look at valve cap and knew what problem was. Tires have balancing beads inside and require a longer core. Standard one will tend to stick open. Valve cap with red top is apparent indicator. PO must have had them added. Live and learn.
I have 4 Centramatic dynamic balancers for a Beaver sitting in my shop that I took off the Contessa. Based on the Marquis ride, etc, the beads work as well (and are a LOT cheaper).

Also, Roberts informed me they do no work on tires more than 5 years old. I asked what this was based on and they said it was their policy per their atty's advice and said other shops are starting to institute similar policies. This must differ considerably though as Discount Tire will mount tires up to 10 years old if they appear to be in good shape, In any case, you may want to check with your tire shop before driving up for service.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Valve Stems & Tire Age
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
Had been having similar problems with valve stem cores.  Les Schwab replaced four tires for me and they all had the wrong core and each took turns at sticking open when pressure was checked.
L S told me the problem was even worse when sand was used where beads are less of a problem.
I shoild also note that I was going through expensive pressure guages due to the sand.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!