Author Topic: Aladdin/ Silver Leaf, My solution  (Read 5426 times)

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Aladdin/ Silver Leaf, My solution
« on: September 06, 2014, 06:29:57 PM »
Here is one solution to an ageing Aladdin system.  I like my gadgets and found this Silver Leaf solution on their web site.  It is called the VMSpc and is used by more than one Beaver owner.  This system projects all your coaches computer readouts to a computer screen.  You can choose what to display and what size and location to place each gauge.  It is also possible to run a gps Nav system in a window on the same screen.  New Silver Leaf units are becoming very expensive, this is the least expensive option I could find.

See photos Below

This system uses

1.  The VMSpc software which can be downloaded free from the Silver Leaf Web site.

2.  The VMSpc coach to computer interface.  Uses a USB port.  Under $300.

3.  The cheapest tablet computer that I could find that will run the full version of windows 8.1  (required to run the software).  Under $400.
    There is also an Ipad version for newer coaches.

4.  A dash mounting bracket which I built form wood I had on hand.

I installer a trouble free Sea Level tank monitoring to watch my tanks.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Aladdin/ Silver Leaf, My solution
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:22:42 PM »
Silverleaf has a device that may solve you problem for $295.00.  The plug in device is TM-540 and displays the information on your phone.  The app can be viewed on their website and you can download the app from your phone.  Not sure if they have a version for non-Android phones...
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »
Karl,

I have a tablet already installed that I run Delorme mapping on that sits just to the right of my Silverleaf and I could not read the phone screen at a glance given the size vs my eyes. So the computer tablet version would be a good fit for me.

Tim,

I have a single USB port on my tablet. Do you run a usb hub of any sort given my Delorme GPS device now uses that port. I would think that a hub would work for adding the second usb plug but if you are already doing that and it works, that would be good info. I have the amber screen Silverleaf unit and I think it has a rectangular plug interface. Did the version you ordered have that type of plug set up already? I know I will call and talk to them about what I need but if you can recall your interface plugs and cables that you used that would be useful. My current unit that is giving me issues was located behind where you mounted your tablet. By the way nice job on your install.

If you had the amber screen unit behind your new tablet did you pull it and what was involved in getting it out...I fear to ask :-)

Later Ed

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
Silverleaf has several interfaces depending on the year of your coach, including a Wi-Fi for the newer coaches. My tablet is an Asus running Windows 8.1 and it has one USB port which I use for the Silverlace Silverleaf interface. The only problem with this for me is I can't charge the tablet when I have the silver leave hooked up, battery life is five or six hours so it seems to be okay. Don't know if your USB hub solution would work or not , you'll need to contact Silverleaf, they have a good help line.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
Tim,

I contacted Silverleaf and ordered the nine pin version of the VMspc from a vendor. The current VM320 coach rectangle plug that I have will evidently go directly into the VMspc unit. The 9 pin plug would likely fit a newer motorhome plug in if I have not learned my lesson yet and ever go there :-) They also indicated that a USB hub should work. I saw some web info from a user that you may need to unplug one of the USB devices to load some drivers and then plug the second one back in.

FYI Tim I have a Fujitsu tablet and I was able to find a factory car adapter off of Ebay very reasonably and never worry about battery power.

I decided to take the plunge at the same time and ordered a Garmin 760LMT RV unit because it is literally the dimensions of the display hole that the VM320 leaves. I have been running a 5 inch Dezl Garmin and could use a larger screen anyway. I will sort out how to mount the Garmin in that space and replace the VM320 with the VMspc running on the tablet.

For those of you that have the VM320 amber screen units, they have been quite reliable according to the factory, but there are no displays available and maybe one circuit board left so be aware that it is not likely a unit that will be repairable. If they had a display the cost to repair would have been $600-$700 which is the price range of both the Garmin 7 inch and the VMspc combined which probably makes more sense given the reparability issues of the VM320. So there are my next projects.....better get my colorful language on cue.

Later Ed