Author Topic: Cat C-15 problems  (Read 9538 times)

Terry Melot

Cat C-15 problems
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
We are considering purchasing an 08 Marquis with a C-15, 600 hp engine.  I've looked on the forum for any threads as to the reliability of the C-15 and have not found anything. I've seen online that there are law suits against Cat having to do with the 07 and 08 ACERT C-13 and C-15 engines.  I lot of unhappy customers on the online truck forums. A lot of happy ones also.  I am aware the engine reliability has a lot to do with the particular vehicle it is installed in and how it is driven. Anyone on the forum have any experience or knowledge about the 07 - 08 ACERT C-15 engines installed in motorhomes?

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
Re: Cat C-15 problems
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:40 PM »
Hi Terry,
I have the C-15 In and 09 Marquis. The main problem is with the DPF filter and the regeneration system. It relies on diesel fuel being dumped into the exhaust to burn out the DPF when a sensor determines it is full of soot. I have had one sensor issue and a replacement of the head that delivers the fuel into the exhaust. The head was replaced under warranty but the sensor was recently replaced and I am out of warranty coverage now.  The head replacement would have cost $1200 and the sensor diagnosis and replacement was about $600. The fuel mileage is not great and I am seriously considering having it all removed and the engine computer reprogrammed. It will require removing the ceramic DPF, EGR and reprogramming the whole computer. Some are removing the two turbos and replacing them with one single high output turbo. This should be more reliable.  I have also heard of excess turbo failures with these engines but have not had any problems there. I have about 65000 miles on this coach. I think the engine is a good engine but the tech required for the emission standards was faulty. That is why Cat no longer makes OTR truck or bus engines. We love this coach and will probably stick with it for a while. It was probably one of the last ones built.
You can tell if it is one of these engines by the serial number it will begin with the letters SDP.

Steven Link
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Terry Melot

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
Thanks, Steven. Appreciate your input. On the truckers forums I have read extensive unhappiness with the ACERT C-15s, built 2007 and later. Sounds like you've had good luck with yours.  Any heating problems pulling long steep grades in the summer?

Michael Marcocchio

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
Hello Terry thats why I stuck with a pre 07 / 08 engine none of that stuff on my 05

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:37:52 AM »
One of the reasons I did not go newer than 06 with the Cat motor, none of the EPA Panther Urine problem. My C-13 525 does a great job and this thing really likes mountains. The newer C-15 is a rock solid motor at its core, but the smog crap kills it.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:40 AM »
Not all Cat C15s in a Marquis coach have the DPF (diesel particulate filter) system. The 2007 and early 2008 coaches with C15s came with engines that were built in 2006, therefore no DPF.

Gerald

Steven Link

• BAC Member
    • whitehousevet.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
Terry,
Never had any overheating problems except when the fan blade rubbed a pinhole in one of the radiator hoses. Engine stays below 200 even in 115 degree heat. Pulls hills with no problem towing a 4000 lb toad. Gerald is right I think this engine is actually a 2008 model so I would check to see if the one you are looking at is and SDP.
Steven
Steven & Penny Link
Springfield, TN
2009 Marquis,  Cat C-15

Terry Melot

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Gerald Farris
Not all Cat C15s in a Marquis coach have the DPF (diesel particulate filter) system. The 2007 and early 2008 coaches with C15s came with engines that were built in 2006, therefore no DPF.

Gerald

Thanks, Gerald. I hope this is one of them. I've read many borrow stories on the trucker forums about the DPF on truck C-15s.
 Steven, Thanks for the statement about no heating problems. There's no use in having all that horsepower if you can't use it on a long hot hill.