Author Topic: Where is PacBrake air solenoid?  (Read 10193 times)

Dennis Evans

Where is PacBrake air solenoid?
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:58:38 AM »
I read an article by Brett Wolff where he recommended running a hot wire to the air solenoid to activate the PacBrake while applying lubricant.  Does anyone know where the air solenoid is located on a 2006 Monterey?  Has anyone done this?  I've had this coach for nine years and still not gaining on the learning curve. :-\

Gary Carver

Re: Where is PacBrake air solenoid?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:32:24 AM »
Look close to the turbo on the exaust side

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:02:01 AM »
Gary's right.  I have an '06 Monterey, and I get access to the "Pac brake" system (actually built by Jacob's, not PacBrake) via the wardrobe floor openings.  The unit is pretty much on top of the engine, to the streetside.  You can see the solenoid, drive rod, and butterfly assembly fairly easily.

But mine has worked fine, so I've never had to mess with it except to maybe check the freedom of operation.  As I vaguely recall, there was discussion here some years back that there was a certain lube or procedure for the job.  Others here may provide refreshed info.  Brett may have already mentioned it.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 04:06:31 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Evans

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:42:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I can see the PacBrake and the air cylinder piston that controls the brake unit, but what I am looking for is the air valve solenoid that releases air pressure to the air cylinder.  I have been unable to trace the air line that leaves the air cylinder to the air valve solenoid I am looking for.  I assume it would be similar to the door seal valve.  So it could be anywhere between the PacBrake and the dry air tank.
Please see the attachment

Thanks

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:43:46 PM by Dennis Evans »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »
Dennis,
I think that you are trying to complicate a simple lubrication procedure. For normal lubrication intervals, supplying 12 volts to the air solenoid is not necessary and not worth the trouble. However, if your exhaust brake is sticking or binding, it may be necessary to operate the air cylinder in this manner to free-up the exhaust valve, achieve full lubrication, and flush the carbon deposits out of moving points. You can buy special PacBrake oil or I just use 10w30 full synthetic motor oil.   

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:51:47 PM »
In one post from awhile back, Harvey Zeigler wrote, "The solenoid on my coach is at the back of the engine (towards front of coach) and was originally tied to the engine lifting lug. The hose from the solenoid to the actuator is only about 2 feet long."

In a subsequent one, Gary Wolfer advised, "The solenoid is in the engine compartment. It looks like an old Ford starter solenoid. Usually mounted on the wall under the bed near where the air hose connects to the air source."

Finally, Larry Lee wrote, "I located the Pac brake air solenoid buried towards the front of the small engine access cover in front of the rear bedroom wardrobe closet. Following the airline it was hanging by a couple nylon zip ties. I was pleasently surprised to find I could disassemble the solenoid and found some corrosion on the plunger shaft. I cleaned it up with a little WD-40 and now it works as it should. Finally I have exhaust brakes! I made a bracket and relocated the entire assembly so it is easily accessible."

These are from owners of various model coaches, which implies the builders tended to put the solenoid in the same general area.  Larry's comment was for his '05 Monterey, Harvey's an '04 Monterey, and Gary's a '98 Patriot.

Due to the heat, the manual recommends silicone lube over volatile petroleum ones.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:07:13 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Evans

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
Thanks guys. 
I have been applying the PacBrake Oil.  I changed to a PRXB several years ago but I never really was convinced that it was working properly.  I sometimes think that the automatic downshifting is all I am really achieving.  My only comparison is a transmission brake coach I have driven several times.  No comparison.  With the slides in it would be really difficult to convince my wife to crawl under the raised bed while underway to visually inspect the PacBrake movement.  No, she will not drive.  Guess I need to get a GoPro camera and stick it in the engine compartment.  I'll continue investigating. 
Dennis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
I think all you need to do is supply 12v to the solenoid, like Brett suggested.  Your Laguna is configured pretty much the same as mine.  Opening the two hatches inside the wardrobe and in the step-up should provide access.  12v is readily available with just a long wire to a battery post, through the curbside window even.  Admittedly I've not stepped this through personally, Dennis, so I'm speculating how easy it should be, esp. access to the solenoid I've not actually looked for.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:06 PM »
OK, out of curiosity I popped the cover on the step-up behind the bed, and ferreted out what I believe is the solenoid, Dennis.  It is stuck between some sort of engine sensor fitting and the transmission dipstick/fill tube, and strapped on either side of that sensor's hose line with wire ties.

Unfortunately the two wires enter the side of the solenoid, from the tranny dipstick side, via a black fitting that doesn't seem particularly removeable.  So you'll have to track the black corrugated sheathing that the two wires are in;  I think I felt a connector underneath, but visibility in the narrow confines clogged with hoses and devices is no picnic, and getting an arm in is barely doable.  The sheathing loops several times and seems to route back into a large bundle along the curbside of the engine nose.  Maybe you can find a place to intervene and apply 12 volts, or at least see if the solenoid is getting 12 from upstream to begin with.

Attached find pix I hope will help you at least find the solenoid.  #2409 shows the blue air-in line and brass port on the curbside of the solenoid body.  2410 illustrates the black wires and fitting in the side of the solenoid toward the dipstick, as well as the air-out port fitting on the streetside where it heads into the red sheathing destined for the cylinder on the "pac-brake" assembly.

-Joel
(click to enlarge pix)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:12:28 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Harvey Ziegler

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
Hi Dennis.
I operate the solenoid for the pack brake by removing the wire from the exhaust brake relay in the electrical bay. I use a jumper wire from one of the circuit breakers in this cabinet.
You will need to make sure you have air pressure in your air tanks. If you momentary put 12V+ to the wire and then remove it you should hear the air release. I then clip the jumper
to the wire and then go into the motor home and look at the exhaust brake to see if is applied to verify that it is working. I have found that on my coach I need to lube the Pacbrake
a couple of times a year. I have had to drive a wedge between the stop pin on the Pac brake and the operating rod to move it and the pry it open. The salt that they use on the
highways creates quite a issue with the pacbrake if the coach sits for a month or more. I do use the approve lube that Pacbrake recommends.
Hope this helps you.
Harvey & Marilyn Ziegler
2004 Monterey  Newport
350 HP Cummins ISC
2010 Jeep Wrangler
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Dennis Evans

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 10:29:09 PM »
Thank you Harvey.  Your method seems much easier that fooling with wires in the jam packed area forward of the engine.  On my electrical bay schematic relay K6 is identified as "E991 Retarder". Is this the correct one?

Thanks

Dennis

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 12:58:23 AM »
Great idea, Harvey.  On my '06 Monty, according to my legend it's K9 Dennis.  On my schematic, port 87 on the relay runs power on wire 204 to the solenoid (and to the "Exh Brk Engaged" light on the dash).

Joel
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:02:48 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Dennis Evans

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for a quick and easy way to activate the PacBrake.  Even I was able to understand and do it.  The vast knowledge available on this forum and members willing to help is astonishing.

Dennis