Author Topic: Onan Cummins 10 KW Quiet Diesel Generator  (Read 16702 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Onan Cummins 10 KW Quiet Diesel Generator
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »
MY Generator is showing Code # 27.  PMA Sense Lost.   The repair  will involve removing the generator from the coach.
  Gerald, can the generator  slide out sideways by removing the generator access panel and frame on the slide   same as we did for the basement ac unit or must I have the coach lifted to access it from below ?? 

Could the power box in Las Vegas with an open neutral we plugged into and fried the transfer switch also have caused this generator fault.???
     Thanks,   Jeremy
 at Newman Power Systems in Ft Pierce Fl an Onan Cummins Dealer.

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
Re: Onan Cummins 10 KW Quiet Diesel Generator
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:17:41 PM »
Jeremy:
               On our 2001 Marquis, they took out that generator from the side. Tight fit but they had done it on other coaches so I had confidence in them. Don't have the 2001 anymore.

Good Luck

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
Jeremy,
The generator will come out the side with a small forklift, but it is a tight fit. I can not be sure if your generator issue is connected to your previous campground wiring problem or not. Your best course of action is to ask your service provider and get a written statement stating their belief if they think so.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 04:36:36 PM »
Jeremy, I had an issue with a bad campground pedestal awhile back and it did indeed affect the genny.  The inverter needed to be replaced and was covered by the insurance claim.  Total bill for all the damage was over 10K.

Mike Groves

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »
Dick,

The insurance claim, is that a special insurance or just the comprehensive Rv insurance?  I'm just wondering if this happens to me if my auto insurance on the RV should cover it.

Mike

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
Mike, that was just the comprehensive coverage on my RV insurance.  I must admit they were very reasonable to deal with and, in the case of the Gen set, as long as the repair facility made a good case for the claim, there was no issue.

In my limited experience, the service manager is everything when making a claim.  They must know just what buttons to push and which ones to leave unpushed.  Ken at BCS is a master at dealing with insurance as an example.

john brunson

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »

"Could the power box in Las Vegas with an open neutral we plugged into and fried the transfer switch also have caused this generator fault.???"

ABSOLUTELY - an open neutral wreaks havoc....  File an insurance claim and let your company subrogate with whoever.

john brunson

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »
Thank you.  Indian River RV in Sebastian Fl are going to diagnose and pull the generator next Monday.  The camp ground in Las Vegas told us to inform them if we had any further issues.  They will be hit for the complete bill. 

john brunson

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:05:14 AM »
If it consumes electricity, it needs a thorough inspection after an event like this

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
Jeremy,
The issue that you had with an open ground could have been avoided if you had equipped your coach with something like the TRC Surge Guard 34560 (http://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34560-004-Hardwire-Surge/dp/B00HESQ61I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450283879&sr=8-5&keywords=rv+surge+guard) or the TRC Surge Guard 34850 portable that I have been recommending for years.

I have been using the hard wired version for 15 years (two different Beavers) and it has saved me many times from either an open neutral or even worse a hot neutral where there is 120 volts on the neutral leg. I have ran into a hot neutral twice and an open neutral several more times in 13 years of fulltiming. The maintenance staff that most RV parks use is very lacking in knowledge and/or concern when it comes to replacing plugs or breakers at the RV pedestal.

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 02:50:34 AM »
Gerald,
 we now have a 50 amp TRC transfer switch with all the bells and whistled .  I could kick myself for not installing the 50amp TRC  surge protector  I have had for 2 years  in its box in the basement !!  Its the built in type.  The new transfer switch has all the same features.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »
Jeremy,
It is amazing low little benefit you get from a part that is still in the box in the basement, isn't it?

Gerald

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »
Hi Gerald,
  Good one !! 
          I really was not aware of the issue .  Now I know how dangerous an open neutral can be I shall check every box I plug into before I close the breakers.   
             Have a great holiday.   Looking forward to Quartzsite,    Jeremy

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 12:32:10 AM »
It would appear our generator issues were caused by bad maintenance.  The flex hose for the air filter rubbed right through the coolant hose. It was not clipped in its correct position.  It also flapped around and pulled a connector off the panel. 
 THe brushes were dangerously worn and have caused an overheat of the stator .  Several wires have let go.
 Good Sams ESP has approved the fix.  It involves a new stator, a new rotor , new brushes and block assembly.
 A rats nest was discovered behind the radiator which was very clogged up with years of dirt.
 Didn't know Onan used Isuzu diesels back in 2000.  Good engines. That's what we have. 
 After almost 16 years this generator has a new lease on life.  The inverter board was tested aok.
 Indian River charged 2 1/2 hours to R&R the unit.  Very fair.  It was an extremely tight fit but doable with door frame and door removed. They used a hydraulic cradle device.  The parts are over $2200  .   
I am going to ask them if we can install a front mount that Cummins sells , modify the cap and install the generator up front where I can get at all its bits.
We return to Indian River RV in Sebastian Fl on Jan 4th to reinstall the generator.  Then we are headed west to Quartzsite AZ.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:27:23 AM by Jeremy Parrett »