Author Topic: AC Lights not working  (Read 5047 times)

Justin Ellis

AC Lights not working
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:42:41 AM »
Hi folks, and happy holidays!

I've been having the strangest problem with my 1997 Monterey Beaver lately, none of the AC lights will turn on...

I'm hooked up to shore power and I'm definitely getting juice as other AC loads are working fine including my space heater which is plugged into an AC receptacle,  but I've tried every light and they are not working.

I tried unplugging shore power and starting the generator, no difference.  Going dead ship and turning on the inverter, no difference.  I'm stymied.  I looked through the breaker panel but none of the breakers are for lights and I figured they'd be powered with their associated space like "bedroom" etc.  I cycled the breakers for fun, no difference.

My DC lights are working fine so it's not like I'm walking around with a headlamp on but I am little perturbed.

Any ideas???

Cheers,
Justin

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: AC Lights not working
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:01:17 AM »
Hmmm... my coach has very few AC lights.  Almost all the lights are 12v.  Interestingly, my 110v reading light over my computer in the living room stopped working a few days ago.  The bulb is okay and the 110v circuit is okay.  I have not figured that one out yet either.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:10:36 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:13:11 AM »
Just guessing here, but did you check any and all GFCI's?

Grant Ralston

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:18:54 AM »
Justin
The 1995 Service Manual wiring diagram on page 26 may be similar to your 1997 wiring.  The wiring diagram shows a junction box that appears to feed all 120volt lights.  On our 1998 Contessa I believe the junction box is mounted on the floor the one under the drawer under the refrigerator.  I don't have the rig at home so I can't confirm.  Good Luck.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:35:55 PM »
            Hi Justin,
   Not really sure how your Monterey is configured, but on my coach the sconce and dinette lights go thru the inverter "pass thru" circuit. There may be circuit breakers on your inverter or the inverter feeds a sub-panel near by. Is the microwave and TV circuits working? They get their power thru the inverter also. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Justin Ellis

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
Boom, nailed it.

The GFI in the kitchen had tripped, resetting it did the trick, all AC lights now working again.  Thanks for the tip!

Good to know about the other ideas too, I'll track down that junction box here soon, good to know where that is and I suspect I have one.  Also the inverter breakers, it must have something.

Thanks again and happy holidays!
Justin