Author Topic: Fitting a Fiat 500 Sport as a Tow Vehicle  (Read 7009 times)

Mike Groves

Fitting a Fiat 500 Sport as a Tow Vehicle
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
All,

After looking at possible replacement/upgrade vehicles, Margaret and I have decided to stick with what we have and update our '99 Beaver Marquis as I detailed on an earlier thread.  To that end we're looking at hooking up my wife's 2013 Fiat 500 Sport to the Beaver.

Along with my '99 Marquis purchase, I also got a Falcon 5250 tow system including the brakemaster piston unit.  The previous owner had set it up for a Jeep, but we're going to tow a Fiat 500 Sport.  I went to a shop and was told the 5250 was frozen and the shop priced out an entirely new setup including the brake system (because the brake pedal stirrup wouldn't fit the Fiat).  I was to say the least disappointed in having what I thought was a complete setup except for the kit for the Fiat which was about $450, and the wiring and other items, along with labor to make the Fiat work.  Instead I was quoted about $2500 for the entire process including $1700 for a new Falcon 2 tow bar and cross piece.

I got home and with just a little working at it the 5250 became unfrozen.  After wiping it down with cleaner and then applying silicon spray it would appear to me to work like brand new.  Before I return to the shop today I hope I can get some education from other owners as to EXACTLY what piece parts should be specifically purchased to transform what I have into a system that will tow the Fiat.

It is my understanding that a tow bar has to be installed on the Fiat, and that I can get another head unit (pedal fitting) for the brakemaster unit (so I don't have to get another unit).  So, I should only need to pay for the Fiat tow bar unit to be attached to the car, the wiring of the Fiat for brake lights, the installation of the brakemaster unit and whatever else is required to make that operate.  Basically I should only be paying for what is done to the Fiat, right?

Also this brake unit is air driven, so it appears I am supposed to have a connection to the air system on my '99 Marquis.  Is this to come from the Service Center at the rear passenger side of the coach or is this accessible from a connection near the tow area of the coach?  It appears that I do have an air hose but the fittings don't look like something that would fit the Service Center air connection.

Any insights would be appreciated before I return to the service shop to renegotiate a price for everything.

Mike

Lee Welbanks

Re: Fitting a Fiat 500 Sport as a Tow Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
Mike,

First thing is you Fiat manual or auto trans and can this vehicle be towed 4 down, meaning not on a tow dolly?
Does Roadmaster make a tow base plate for this vehicle? If these two are a yes you are on the way.
Does your coach have a air brake system? The air for the Roadmaster brake system will come off of the service brake side of your coach. A 1/4" air line needs to be ran from one of your rear service brake lines, so when you apply the coach brakes it also supplies applied air to the Roadmaster. Unless you know how the air system works I would recommend you have a shop do the work, also you must use Dot approved air fittings, not the cheapo stuff from big box store.
I have a 13 Honda CRV and I had Cliff's in Mesa, Az install the base plate and the electrical for the CRV (wiring Diodes) lights. Don't know about a Fiat but the Honda you have to basically take the front end off to install the base plate.

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
Thanks Lee.  The fiat is the sport model which is a 5 speed manual transmission.  The previous owner gave me the brakemaster unit and he was towing a 1998 Jeep so I would have to be somewhat sure that he had the coach configured for all of that which would have included the air connection. 

The vendor I spoke with asked if I have a "red light" on the dash and I certainly do so his feel was that the coach was equip to handle the parts.  The coach is in Bend (I am in Portland, OR) getting some remodeling done, so for now we're focused on what would need to be done with the Fiat and it appears that its much the same as was done to your Honda.  As you said, they remove the front (appears to be the whole front of the car) to allow access to the frame to put on the roadmaster part number 522013-1A and the shop did quote for that work, basically $550 out the door (parts and labor).  Then I need the electrical and the brakemaster so I suppose that is more "plumbing" but I don't think that's more than another 3-$400 because I believe I have most of the parts.  So, rather than $2500 I believe I am looking at around $1000 assuming the coach needs no work and I can simply then connect to the coach air and electrical.

Mike

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »
I am wondering why you didn't go to Roadmaster headquartered across the river in Vancouver for all the tow stuff.  Just wondering...
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
I have been towing our Fiat 500 Pop for about a year and a half now. I purchased the Roadmaster front mount online for $399.00 delivered to my front door. One of my son in laws and I installed it in 2 hours. I use magnetic lights so there is no wiring. I also use a Brake Buddy for braking. I chose the Brake Buddy because you can use it in multiple vehicles without having to buy multiple baseplates and or mounting brackets. I have used it on two different pickup trucks, three different Jeeps and now my Fiat. I did have one problem with it on the fiat. The clamp for the brake pedal didn't fit. I called Brake Buddy and told them my situation and they sent me one that would work on the Fiat, FREE. I am not trying to sell anyone on the brake system I use, just pointing out that it has perks for moving it from vehicle to vehicle if you plan on changing toads very often.
By the way, you won't even feel that Fiat behind your coach. They tow very well.
Marty

Mike Groves

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:58:54 PM »
To David,

I thought about that, but their site (at least the one I looked on) didn't show a service, but rather pointed me to authorized dealers.  Can you post the website as perhaps I went to the wrong place.

Thanks!
Mike

William Jordan

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:04:19 PM »
To David,

I thought about that, but their site (at least the one I looked on) didn't show a service, but rather pointed me to authorized dealers.  Can you post the website as perhaps I went to the wrong place.

Thanks!
Mike

Mike , just give them a call. I called them about a problem with my dolly and they were very helpful. I just picked up some parts but while I was there they were working on a car. Perhaps they do work but don't Post it to protect dealers  ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:08:52 PM by William Jordan »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »
roadmasterinc.com

I have the original Blackhawk towbar which is an 8k or 10k towbar - I forget which.  My tow vehicle weighs over 6k.  I have the Evenbrake which will work on virtually any vehicle among autos and pickups.  I picked up all the towing pieces on Craigslist at prices substantially under new costs, except the crossbar which I could not find used. I had a local business wire my pickup for brake lights, blinkers and tail lights and make a cord to plug between the coach and tow vehicle.  I would suggest your tow vehicle's battery be connected to the coach's power to keep it charged up... because the brake units (Even Brake and Brake Buddy) use vehicle power to operate their compressor.  The wireless connection between the Even Brake monitor located on the coach's dash and the Even Brake unit located between the tow vehicle's brake pedal and driver's seat has never had a problem... and they are over 50' apart.  I did not, but I am aware that people have taken their coach and tow vehicles to the Vancouver headquarters for installation and service.

The first year I had issues with the towbar. The attachment knuckles would not twist.  When I went to Quartzsite in 2013 (our first trip south) I had the Roadmaster people south of the Big Tent look it over.  No charge and it has worked perfectly, as good as new, ever since.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 07:13:11 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 06:56:26 AM »
Mike:
http://roadmasterinc.com/contact.html

I've been to their old place near the airport and the Vancouver location several times for help, service, installation, and products.  They are easy to find and there's lots of room for maneuvering rigs around a large warehouse-type facility.  It's not obvious when you get there at first, but for the office entry you have to drive around, as I recall, to the far back of the building.

Joel
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 07:12:48 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Carol Moffett

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »
We've been to Roadmaster's facility in Vancouver for a complete install on our Explorer.  Turns out we had a bum tow bar that couldn't be repaired (they would have refurbished it for free but it was the stainless steel one and the arms were bad)  They did give us a $100 trade value for it to put towards a new one but we had spent enough money at that point so opted to continue using the old one for a bit longer.  We have since replaced it  ;D   The people there are great folks!   Real friendly and very happy to give tours of their whole set up!  We were VERY pleased with the service and they did a bang up job!
Cheers!
Carol
:^3=
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Mike Groves

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
Ok, I'll see what they say.  I have 2 bids already and they are $500 apart, so why not another.

Mike

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 09:10:56 PM »
A little red lamp on the dash front implies someone already had a Brakemaster or similar unit installed, and the coach part of the that circuit is there;  it comes on whenever you brake to verify your Toad's brakes activated also.

I dunno Mike, I had two outfits work on our towbar install in 2006, and ultimately ended up at Roadmaster to get it right - they redid some of the work on the Explorer at no or little charge.  A few years back, I took both the toad and the coach to Vancouver so they could help improve the plane of tow alignment, and dragging of the coach's backside - our model seems to hang lower than most, putting the hitch actually lower than the Explorer's front frame.  You want as level a tow plane as possible so the coach isn't pulling up or down on the toad's front end, messing up alignment parameters and expediting tire wear issues.

My Falcon All Terrain's arms were stubborn about sliding for the last few years, from leaving it outside attached to the coach year-round (mistake).  Last summer, after cleaning and dry-siliconing it as best I could and trying to free the arms up more, I finally took it to Vancouver.  After a few days I got it back in fabulous condition.  For a standard recon charge of $75, they made it like new, even installing upgraded sleeving at no extra charge.  And they pointed out (and fixed) one or two issues about it that hadn't registered with me (its front pivot wasn't working properly), and proffered advanced care suggestions.  So not only is it in primo shape now (and stored inside over the winter), I'm a more informed owner.

Sure, there are installers out there that are capable, but ferreting them and their best techs out can be a job.  Like living here not so far from Bend, why would you not take the drive and the advantage of the best being so close.

Even if it was more expensive, if it were me, I'd just go there in the first place and save some potential hassle.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Groves

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 11:10:17 PM »
All,

I got 3 bids.  Two were very similar and basically given based on what I must assume is Roadmaster's well known bid.  Those two bids were from Roadmaster and from a company called J&S RV Service and Repair.  The winning bid was from a company that is a roadmaster dealer and charges a lower labor rate, and I think that's because he trains his technicians as they do jobs and therefore doesn't charge you for training them.  Now if that's true then the obvious question would be well, even though he's got 20 years experience what kind of experience am I getting from those being trained.  Well, this isn't brain surgery so my guess is that he inspects everything because he guarantees his labor lifetime (somebody's lifetime or something's lifetime - that's never clear to me).

Anyway, he's in about 4-500 dollars less than the others and Roadmaster was out a month and a half for getting it done.  The shop I went with is Todd's Auto and RV Service on Sandy Blvd, Portland, Oregon.

I'll post a review.  So far they tell me I will not need anything special to change the level of the tow between the Marquis and the Fiat as my hitch is at 18".  Evidently I have a 4 and a 7 way plug and air connection according to the guys at RV Outfitters who currently have my coach for remodeling. 

I am pretty happy that my wife and I decided to stick with our coach (which the guys at RV Outfitters say doesn't suffer from the problems many do in our SMC era).  We are familiar with it and know what to expect from it.  I fear that getting into something newer but less well known would have been a different sort of adventure.  And, as Margaret says, the larger coaches we've seen mainly had more floor space but not that much more storage space than ours.

Mike