Author Topic: Basement Air Indoor Fan Failure  (Read 2698 times)

Dick Simonis

Basement Air Indoor Fan Failure
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »
This is just an FYI post.

While we were in Idaho Falls I noticed that the AC air flow was diminishing.  Figured it was a filter issue but after replacing the filter still no joy, barely any air flow.  Since this happened to me shortly after we bought the coach I knew what it was.  The set screw holding the squirrel cage impeller on the motor shaft loosened up (again).  The cure is to pull the AC unit and find a really long Allen wrench to re-tighten.  Ideally you pull the motor and drill a dimple first than locktite the screw.  The folks that did the repair last time didn't do any of that.

The one bright spot is that after shutting the AC down I was able to restart it and the blower must have caught on a burr and has been OK since but it's only a matter of time until it slips again.

I got hold of Griffin AC in Bend (they do all the basement air repairs for BCS and they will take care of the issue Friday at their facility.

I'll let you know how this works out.  Moral of the story, if you ever have to pull the AC put this maintenance item on you list.  Very costly just to tighten a screw.