Author Topic: Recommendations on RV Tow service  (Read 8608 times)

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
Recommendations on RV Tow service
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »
I have had Coach-Net for my RV-Toad towing service for 6 years although this year was the first I needed to contact them.
I am less than pleased with results.
I am looking to switch to either Good Sam or AAA/ RV Service.
Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darrell Terry
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Recommendations on RV Tow service
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
We had the same experience with Coach Net but plenty of people are happy with them.  We went to Good Sam and have used them twice with great results.  I think they are comparable.  It probably depends on what dispatch team and what area you are in.  Good luck.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Darrell Terry

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:36 AM »
Comparing Coach-Net with Good Sam and noticed a small difference;

Coach-Net - Unlimited towing to "Nearest Qualified Repair Facility"

Good Sam - Unlimited towing to "Nearest Service Center"

Has anyone with Good Sam been denied a tow to the Service Center they requested as it was not "nearest" ?

Darrell
2004 Monterey
350 Cummins ISC

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:16:25 AM »
I agree with Jerry. The area that you need the service comes into play with all the towing services. Some have good coverage areas and some don't.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dan Murphy

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:47:59 AM »
We have used Coach-net for 3 yrs. They have towed the coach once and our toad has required service or towing twice and we also had a lock-out early in our RV experience.I would not even consider another road service provider. They have been totally responsive and fair. Towed us well beyond local service facility to a Cat dealer 45 miles one time.
I don't know what your particular issue was but we have not had any issues at all.There are always a lot of questions and a certain amount of time always goes by but they do get the job done eventually.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »
Prior to signing up for Coach Net we were AAA+RV members and had to have our Marquis towed 3 times in less than a month. We were extremely pleased with AAA service. They sent qualified and cooperative operators all 3 times. We haven't had to use this service from Coach Net yet  (hopefully won't have  to) so can't provide a comparison.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 05:44:53 AM »
Comparing Coach-Net with Good Sam and noticed a small difference;

Coach-Net - Unlimited towing to "Nearest Qualified Repair Facility"

Good Sam - Unlimited towing to "Nearest Service Center"

Has anyone with Good Sam been denied a tow to the Service Center they requested as it was not "nearest" ?

Darrell

We have Good Sam and had to use them earlier this year when the starter went out on our tow vehicle.  It was in the town we live in and we wanted it towed to our regular repair man. The difference between the dealer and our regular repair man was 1 mile and Good Sam charged use an extra $5 for the extra mile.

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »
Have used Coach Net three times in the last three years for tow and always were there in less than an hour and they communicated as to status.  About 6-7 years ago needed jump start in Williams CA, called Good Sam, waited an hour and called back and they were still trying to locate someone to come.  That's why we are with Coach Net.  Talked to Good Sam and they said they were changing support services.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »
Coach Net all the way!! Very happy with their service!!
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

George Morlan

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
I have had CoachNet for years and have always had good service.  One thing to watch out for, though, is that if they send a mobile mechanic out and he or she can't get you going, they will not pay for a tow.  For that reason  I have always opted for the tow unless I am 100% sure that the mobile mechanic will work.  I am pretty sure that Good Sam and whoever FMCA is hooked up with now are the same.

William Jordan

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Good Sam Coachnet and fmca all contract with a Comercial towing services normally ones that big trucks use. They are constantly re doing which local towing companies they themselves contract with.
I've had good Sam for 4 years with no issues in two calls ... The last a year ago when the person a answering the call said "Allstate services " before she realized it was a "good Sam" line !
The company I worked for used Penske services for their tractors and they were great or lousy depending on where we broke down and who they had a contract with to provide services. Point being, "where" you break down and the local tow has more to do with it than who you use IMO so pick one and roll the dice.

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 12:12:41 AM »
We use AAA.

But the most important thing to do, no matter what the service is, is make the person on the other end of the line understand you need "the moose of a tow truck." The tow truck that is sent out to tow semis.

Many people on the other end of the line do not understand that you have a large and very heavy RV. They think "camper."

We have been towed several times and pulled out of a campsite once. The person you are talking to will find a tow service close to you. So be CLEAR about what kind of town truck you need.

Connie B.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
I can vouch for Good Sam.
We have had the coach towed from the parking lot of a Kenworth Repair facility to a Freightliner shop when our cooling system failed and Good Sam sent a proper tow truck, one of the big semi frame jobs half the size of the coach with a reach type tow bar that did no damage to the front cap. My local go-to guys when I need a local tow.
Good Sam did not dispute my choice of repair facilities (Kenworth has a terrible reputation) and sent a proper rig.
'Nuff said for my money.