Author Topic: Generator Service Grant's Pass/Medford/Ashland Areas  (Read 5238 times)

Mike Groves

Generator Service Grant's Pass/Medford/Ashland Areas
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »
Yesterday while travelling to southern Oregon our generator shut down.  We did smell some lightly burning rubber during the trip but didn't notice that the generator failed at that same time.  Pretty sure that's when it failed however, Without checking the error codes (raining heavily when we arrived) I have nothing but a guess and that is that the fan belt broke and perhaps the smell was that of the rubber belt binding up.  At any rate, subsequent attempts to start the generator resulted in it running a few seconds then stopping on its own.

Can anyone recommend one service over another given their experience in this area of Oregon?  There are 2-3 locations that I've found but its always nice to get a review of the service. 

Mike

Bill Englund

Re: Generator Service Grant's Pass/Medford/Ashland Areas
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
Northwest Cummins in Central Point. 5742 Crater Lake Why. East of Costco/Walmart about 1-2 miles

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:17:26 PM »
Henderson's Line-up  in Grants Pass worked on our genset for general service, and their techs are quality, knowledgeable mechanics.  Not all Cummins providers are necessarily Onan people, but Bill's suggestion is probably a good one.

I'd call each, Mike, and decide based on their answers to your questions.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Groves

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
We're currently scheduled for an appointment in Coburg at Cummins/Onan there, on our way back to Pacific Shores December 1st. 

They have 6 hookup spots available and it appears that this is an all day job to remove/replace gen and place it on the bench for service.  Since they are going to take it out then I'll have the air/fuel filters, coolant thermostat, and spark arrestor serviced in addition to putting a new belt on. 

Oh, btw, the generator error code is 27 - something about a fail to sense "quadrature".  I assume that is because the fan belt broke.  Anyone confirm that?  And can anyone suggest additional service since its coming out of the rig and onto the bench?  Is there more than one belt to replace?

I'll call Henderson's to see how experienced they are at removing/replacing and doing maintenance on the Onan 10K generator.

Mike

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
You will have the filters changed;  I assume you also meant to change the oil?  Also, don't I recall these big generators should have their valves adjusted at 1,000 hours?  I don't remember for sure;  perhaps it was a dream I had.  lol
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Ed Dubois

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
Mike, I don't know if you've used this shop before. We had our genset serviced at Coburg Cummins a month or so ago as well as a bunch of other work too. We've been going there for several years and have had good experiences with them. Thought you might like to know.

Ed
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

William Jordan

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 12:33:51 AM »
Valve adjust at 1000 hours .. if your even close I'd have it done since it's out and has to come out to do the adjustment. Mines at 1200 hrs and still need to be done.😳 When I inquired at bcs when I bought it , the tech smiled and said north of a grand to do the valve adjust. All day 8x125.00 asumming one person not 2 + parts so I'd do everything I could while it's out !

Mike Groves

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »
Mike, I don't know if you've used this shop before. We had our genset serviced at Coburg Cummins a month or so ago as well as a bunch of other work too. We've been going there for several years and have had good experiences with them. Thought you might like to know.

Ed

Ed, thanks very much!  Great to know.  To others - I've had the oil changed and the coolant is an OAT just like in the CAT so I am not concerned about that.  I am at nearly 800 hours so I'll ask about the valve job.  Boy I hate to get into an engine though that has worked so well for me, but with Ed's confidence I hope all will be well if I do the valve job.

Mike

Mike Groves

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 01:45:07 PM »
I wanted to give a review of Cummins/Onan in Coburg with regards to their work on the generator and also their replacement of the under slide seal on our '99 Marquis.

First, I enjoyed the rapport with the techs that did the generator fix and service and the seal replacement.

I found the service manager to be a bit defensive in my communications with him.  Our first butting of heads (if he considered it that, I didn't) was over his description of my coach as a '98Marquis" on the service sheet.  I attempted to correct him but he stood firm that he always used the build year and not the model year.  To me it could be confusing to any future owner of my coach to see that I have an invoice which says '98Marquis'.  He insisted he couldn't change it in his system. 

As a long time computer programmer I found that hard to believe and felt he was being stubborn.  Later when I found that not all the work performed on the generator was listed in the comments area, he again stated that this information couldn't be appended - again that's pretty unbelievable so I told him he needed better software.  I expect all the work done to be documented so that future owners know what was done.

On the other hand, the service manager wanted to point out to me that even though his crew had 32 hours into the total work that he only charged me for 22 and he also helped me out by retroactively enrolling me in the Cummins club so that the labor was further discounted.

Since I'd purchased a "1000 hour Service" on the generator in addition to having the generator fixed (by replacing the stator, control module, and circuit breaker) my only reference to what this service entailed was in my onan manual.  I therefore questioned the invoice when it failed to mention an "injector service".  I was told that there is no service on injectors and that would be a replacement of the injectors but that wasn't necessary.  Since these statements seemed at odds with a description of the 1000 hour service in the manual I can only hope that the tech's statements are correct - I have no idea - I can only hope so.

The facility has 6 electric/water hookups and pads for customers on a first come first served basis and since our appointment was for 2 days but the repairs were done in one, we were given permission to spend another day and I am writing this review while parked in one of those spaces and while using the Wi-Fi provided.  The Wi-Fi is of sufficient quality that we were able to stream our Netflix so all in all I'd rate the accommodations as 10 of out 10.

Total bill for replacing stator/control module/circuit breaker/1000 Hour service using my air/fuel filters (minus oil change/injector service/coolant change)/wipe seal replacement came to $6000 including discounts.  I can only hope that this has reinvigorated my generator and that I'll have no further problems maintaining it myself for our life with the coach.

Mike