Author Topic: Lower (beneath slide) weather strip replacement  (Read 4205 times)

Mike Groves

Lower (beneath slide) weather strip replacement
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:31:52 PM »
The approximately 3 inch weather strip beneath our living room slide needs to be replaced.  This strip evidently is for keeping wind and rain from getting to the interior.

Does anyone have an idea what this would cost to be done professionally?  What about the cost and who can provide the strip itself?  Would the basement box have to be removed to allow access for removing the rivets holding the strip or can those rivets be gotten to by a slender person stretching?

Mike

Gerald Farris

Re: Lower (beneath slide) weather strip replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:42:26 PM »
Mike,
The weather-strip material is available from BCS (Beaver Coach Sales) by the foot. Measure the exact length you need, add a foot to be on the safe side, and they will cut the material and ship the material to you. The rivets are available from the local Ace hardware. Just drill the rivets, remove the metal retainer, and old weather-strip. Installation is just the reverse procedure except you will need to cut the weather-strip to the exact length after it is partially installed. 

Installing the lower slide weather-strip does not require a skinny professional. The average handyman in reasonable conditional can do it if you stretch above the basement compartments or remove one of them. At 5' 11" and 200 lbs., I had no problem in replacing the weather-strip on my coach.

Gerald   

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:08:34 AM »
Gerald,

Did you have to remove any basement compartments?  I just have the one to be concerned about.  What size drill bit did you use if you remember in order to drill out the rivets?

Thanks,
Mike

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
     Hi Mike,
I did mine last May, used a 3/16 drill bit and the whole process took about 3 hours. Find something soft to kneel on.
   Happy Thanksgiving and count your Blessings! Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
Mike,
Like Fred said, a 3/16 drill bit. No, I did not have to remove the bay compartment. Since my coach has basement air, I removed the air intake ducts to gain easier access. The only coaches that may have an access issue, and need to remove a compartment is the coaches with two compartments like the 2002 Marquis with roof air.

Gerald