Author Topic: Diesel Aqua Hot  (Read 12900 times)

Dan Murphy

Diesel Aqua Hot
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »
We picked up our Contessa yesterday from Creative Coach in Lakeland. They had the coach for 2 months and 1 week to repair damage we suffered when we hit a deer in Nevada.The damage to the fiberglass was repaired satisfactorily. When we took it there they estimated 3 weeks.

I had asked for a couple small areas to be "touched up" but that was not done . When I checked it in last November it seemed to not be a problem and the manager even said a couple blemishes might buff out when they waxed the coach.They did nothing extra at all and only washed the coach just before I picked it up.It was still wet.

The detailing after 2 months was not up to par but I took delivery and brought it home anyway.They failed to meet two deadlines that they promised and we missed a rally and lost a deposit so I kind of expected a little extra from them but I was disappointed. I was also promised some touch up paint and they forgot this also.

They did tell me they had exercised the jenny and had kept the unit plugged in and checked the batts.

But now my problem:

I'm going thru all the systems  and I cannot get the diesel burner on the Aqua Hot to start. I turned on the electric last nite and it is working but the diesel will not fire. There are no lights lit up on the control panel.

Can someone please give me a checklist to follow to find any obvious problems before I call for a tech?? Thanks for any help!

Larry Williams

Re: Diesel Aqua Hot
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
They may have turned off the main battery switch near the battery. When that happens the Aqua Hot low voltage relay kicks in and needs to be manually reset. This happened to me the last time my rig was serviced.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:40 PM »
Possibly the low voltage needs to be reset. I used a toothpick on the aquahot panel and pushed the reset in in the small hole in the panel.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:50:20 AM »
Dan, do you mean that your AH does nothing or that it runs but wont fire?
If it tries to start but just wont catch, likely its a plugged nozzle.  I have had this happen after sitting for a couple months if the AH was not run.  Maybe its time for a new filter and nozzle and a clean out on the burn chamber?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 01:03:18 AM »
Dan,
You may want to refer to the Aqua/Hydro Hot Heating Problem write up contained under "Common Problems" in the Technical Section of the BAC web Page.
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 05:53:43 AM »
How about the fuel tank is at least one third full?
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »
Tried the reset on the control paneling still no joy!

Plenty of fuel also.

There is nothing when I hit the diesel switch. I usually hear it whine and then the burner fires but it is just dead.

Is there a breaker or a fuse somewhere. Anything else to try??

Checked the "common problems" section also.Did not see an answer there.

Serviced with new nozzle last March---was working fine when I took it to the shop.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
Dan,

Does the light on the switch come on when you engage diesel mode?
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:01 PM »
My AquaHot has several of the small-sized auto fuses.  I have had to replace one of them when my AquaHot would not fire up.  My AquaHot is the AHE-100-02S.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Bryan Schmidt

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
Dan

To help further the diagnosis, we'll also need the status of lights on the AquaHot control panel down in the bay just after you have turned on the diesel burner switch.  That info will start helping to diag any possible electrical issue getting power to the AquaHot controller.

Have you searched at all for this issue of no-motor start problem on http://www.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com, moderated by Roger Berke?   Roger specializes in AquaHot systems.   Several on the BAC forum use Roger's site for AquaHot specific issues and parts. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:14:00 PM by Bryan Schmidt »
2005 Montrery 36' Ventura IV
Cat C9
Towing a Pathfinder
Navigated by 2 cats

Rod Ogle

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »
Dan

You mentioned the electric side works fine.  On our unit, if the electric side has all fluids up to correct temps, the diesel side will not fire....no need.  To test if this is the case, turn off the electric side, turn up your thermostats and let it run for a while.  The diesel burner should kick in when it senses the need for heating.  If it does not fire up then there are other issues.  Check out the "trouble shooting" section of your owners manual for more ideas.

Hope this helps.

Dan Murphy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
Thanks everybody!! I got it working. It was the reset button on the light panel after all!

Everything fine now!  Thanks again for the responses!

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »
Way to go Dan
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »
This brings to mind that many of us overwinter our rigs near or at our homes where in order to keep them at the ready we don't winterize them fully.  That means for me at least that when freezing weather hits, especially during winters like this one where it's been constantly off and on, I go out and turn on the HydroHot and one interior thermostat to 40 as threats loom, then off as ambient temps warm.  I prefer to rely on the electric only so the fuel tank remains topped up, minimizing moisture absorption therein over the often unforeseen, unintended, long storage periods.

Due to one or two similar experiences to Dan's over the decade we've had the coach, I now don't just go in and flip on the Electric element switch.  Rather I turn on the Diesel switch first, then the Electric, then switch off the Diesel.  This ensures any prior fault is reset since that's one function of the "master" Diesel switch besides winding up the burner motor.  I come back later and double-check in the bay that the unit is warm and all lamps are green.

It's a good routine to get into whenever you aren't high-demanding the system with hot water use and need only minimal heating, whether in storage or on the road.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 07:53:19 PM »

"  Rather I turn on the Diesel switch first, then the Electric, then switch off the Diesel.  This ensures any prior fault is reset since that's one function of the "master" Diesel switch besides winding up the burner motor.  I come back later and double-check in the bay that the unit is warm and all lamps are green."

Joel, thanks for this info, I didn't know that before.

Leah Draper