Author Topic: Diesel Aqua Hot  (Read 12884 times)

Larry Williams

Re: Diesel Aqua Hot
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »
...Rather I turn on the Diesel switch first, then the Electric, then switch off the Diesel.  This ensures any prior fault is reset since that's one function of the "master" Diesel switch besides winding up the burner motor.  I come back later and double-check in the bay that the unit is warm and all lamps are green.....

Joel
Are you saying that by turning on the diesel switch first that it will reset a low voltage fault?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
...Rather I turn on the Diesel switch first, then the Electric, then switch off the Diesel.  This ensures any prior fault is reset since that's one function of the "master" Diesel switch besides winding up the burner motor.  I come back later and double-check in the bay that the unit is warm and all lamps are green.....

Joel
Are you saying that by turning on the diesel switch first that it will reset a low voltage fault?
Mine does not!  Every time I take it to be repaired they turn off the switch.  When I need the HH I have to crawl into that little bay and bend myself crossways to stick a tooth pick that I usually forget and end up getting out and doing it all over gain with a home carved tooth pick to reset the low voltage switch!  Whooo!  Long winded but you get the idea!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »
Jerry,
Open a paper clip and use it, then leave it on the floor by your HH.
Roy
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 12:00:23 AM »
Yes, Larry.  I've done it before, both ways, and at least one model's manual says you can do it either way.  It was only after reading it in the book I realized I could just use the diesel on/off switch.  I'm not sure why Jerry's does not except that models change over the years.  That said, some manuals, reviewable in the Coach Assist section of the Forum, indeed only indicate to depress the recessed button in the controller panel.   You are supposed to wait 30 secs. after switching the diesel burner off before kicking it on again if you can reset that way.  But make sure of course the voltage problem has been corrected or you are on park power.

With a Monterey you have a HydroHot, perhaps an HHE 200 or HHE 500 series the below manual paragraph refers to:
"The Hydro-Hot’s Electronic Controller must be manually reset whenever the Low Battery Voltage fault indicator light has been activated. The Electronic Controller can be manually reset either by depressing the “Low Voltage Reset” button located on the Electronic Controller (use a thin, straight, nonmetallic object to access the reset button through the small hole in the faceplate) or by turning OFF the “Diesel” switch on the Heater’s Interior Switch Panel for approximately 30 seconds, then turning the switch back ON."

Roy, note the "non-metallic" reference, but I think I may have used the paper clip method myself, as I commonly do for any small, recessed reset on a device.

Joel
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:04:10 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 02:42:00 AM »
My coach is in the shop for it's spring maint. session.  I went out to exercise the genny and everything so I tried the switch as mentioned above.  It was off so I turned it on with no activation.  So I turned it off for a minute or so and tried again.  Still nothing.  The elect. does not come on either.  So I'm sure I'll have to crawl under to reset it.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 02:42:32 PM »
      Jerry, I am not sure why Aqua-hot sets the 12volt threshold so high. I do know that PC boards do not handle low voltage well but it does not take much to trigger the "low voltage" on hydro-hot or aqua-hot boards. I tell my customers just leave some tooth picks on the floor near the control box and reset when necessary. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert, Paul Stark

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
      Jerry, I am not sure why Aqua-hot sets the 12volt threshold so high. I do know that PC boards do not handle low voltage well but it does not take much to trigger the "low voltage" on hydro-hot or aqua-hot boards. I tell my customers just leave some tooth picks on the floor near the control box and reset when necessary. Fred

I have tried leaving the tooth picks in there but they must blow around or something when I'm driving.  I never find any in there.  At least it doesn't take me 3 hours to get the HH running anymore when it quits.  The first time I needed it I think it took 2 days to get hot water.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

George H. Wall

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »
Jerry, Try taping 2 or 3 long toothpicks down with some duct tape, they will stay there!!   Henry

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »
     You can always wrap a tooth pick with some Velcro then install right on the face panel next to the access hole. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »
I agree with taping the toothpicks to the box as the option had also occurred to me, but I think Jerry shouldn't be needing them so often in the first place.  He needs to resolve why the unit is sensing low voltage so often.  In over 10 years I've used the reset button once, and the diesel switch reset probably 2 times, after discovering I didn't need to use the control box recessed button afterall.  It's not often I've allowed the battery bank to slip much.  In fact I'm still on the original factory-installed batteries.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 01:18:07 AM »
Guys
       Do it like most Farmers, carry a toothpick behind your Ear, Always.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 01:50:01 AM »
I agree with taping the toothpicks to the box as the option had also occurred to me, but I think Jerry shouldn't be needing them so often in the first place.  He needs to resolve why the unit is sensing low voltage so often.  In over 10 years I've used the reset button once, and the diesel switch reset probably 2 times, after discovering I didn't need to use the control box recessed button afterall.  It's not often I've allowed the battery bank to slip much.  In fact I'm still on the original factory-installed batteries.

Joel
Joel, It's not often.  When the coach is with me it never happens.  If I take it for to get any work done it seems they all must turn off the main power.  Thats when I have to reset it.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH