Author Topic: Removal of leaking jacks  (Read 3038 times)

Doug Blake

Removal of leaking jacks
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »
New member here.  Hello All.  I have a 37' 2001 Patriot Ticonderoga, with three leaking jacks.  Two front, one rear.  I have reviewed/gone through the postings relating to this topic and am between replacing with an air system, removing myself and rebuilding, purchasing new from Oregon.  I know how to turn a wrench, but am somewhat mystified about how to remove the jacks, time, difficulty, etc.... Willing to try and would like any/all input from those that have gone down that path already.... I appreciate any and all thoughts.

Doug Blake
Dandridge, TN
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' two slides.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Removal of leaking jacks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
I would not recommend repair/rebuild.  IMHO the most cost effective is to replace with Big Foot jacks from Quatra Manufacturing. Recently someone posted that they had the original jacks rebuilt up in the St. Louis, MO area.  I tried to have my 2002 Patriot jacks rebuilt and they failed to finish the job.  Removing the jacks to replace or repair or install air leveling is somewhat difficult.  The front wheels do not need to be removed but if you remove them, it makes for a much easier job.  However, the rear duals must be removed to access the nuts/bolts on the mounting jacks flanges.  Connecting hoses can be removed permanently or just capped off (requires a special type of hydraulic fitting). Pump and fluid reservoir cannot be removed if you have a slide.

Good luck,
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 11:51:04 PM »
Doug,
The biggest problem with rebuilding your original SMC system jacks is that almost all if not all of them were not designed to be serviceable, so they were welded together instead of having a threaded shaft guide and seal assembly that can be unscrewed to remove and reseal. Therefore, the old jacks have to be cut open to disassemble and reseal them, and welded back together. There are not a lot of hydraulic shops that are setup to preform this type of service, so it is hard to find and expensive.   

If you want to have them rebuilt with parts that will allow for easy dissemble and repair later, you will basically be getting a custom designed and hand built jack that will be prohibit ably expensive.

Gerald

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 12:11:54 AM »
I would not recommend repair/rebuild.  IMHO the most cost effective is to replace with Big Foot jacks from Quatra Manufacturing. Recently someone posted that they had the original jacks rebuilt up in the St. Louis, MO area.  I tried to have my 2002 Patriot jacks rebuilt and they failed to finish the job.  Removing the jacks to replace or repair or install air leveling is somewhat difficult.  The front wheels do not need to be removed but if you remove them, it makes for a much easier job.  However, the rear duals must be removed to access the nuts/bolts on the mounting jacks flanges.  Connecting hoses can be removed permanently or just capped off (requires a special type of hydraulic fitting). Pump and fluid reservoir cannot be removed if you have a slide.

Good luck

Karl, as mentioned above my front jacks were rebuilt in St Louis. General Hydraulics rebuilds RV jacks on a regular basis. We are currently on a trip in Memphis and the jacks are working well, no leaks. I also had General Hydraulics rebuild one of my jacks three years ago on my previous DP and it never failed. For me it was a no brainer by someone I trust.  Plus, it was much cheaper to have my jacks rebuilt instead of changing them out for a different type system or obtaining replacements from Beaver Sales in Oregon, which BTW are also rebuilt.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 02:52:37 AM »
Doug,
The biggest problem with rebuilding your original SMC system jacks is that almost all if not all of them were not designed to be serviceable, so they were welded together instead of having a threaded shaft guide and seal assembly that can be unscrewed to remove and reseal. Therefore, the old jacks have to be cut open to disassemble and reseal them, and welded back together. There are not a lot of hydraulic shops that are setup to preform this type of service, so it is hard to find and expensive.   

If you want to have them rebuilt with parts that will allow for easy dissemble and repair later, you will basically be getting a custom designed and hand built jack that will be prohibit ably expensive.

Gerald

Gerald, exactly how my front jacks were rebuilt or more appropriately, remanufactured as you indicated above. They are set up to do this kind of work. Pulled the Beaver into their shop.... around $1780 and out the door. Still cheaper than other options I checked.
Fred & Cindy

Doug Blake

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »
Gerald, et Al
I called General Hydraulics and spoke with Tim (I assume the main guy) who told me "This is what we do" and in fact had complete several RV's in the last couple of years and had one in the shop as we spoke.  He seemed very knowledgeable, asked several questions about what type, where etc...  and told me that he estimate (I now have three leaking) would be approximately $2000, out the door and that might be high.  Compared to the "many" other options I have pursued this seems the best.  He also related that his shop does "all kinds" of hydraulic work and they have a very large multi-stall shop and my coach would be inside for the duration.  He estimated the work would take two days to remove, repair and reinstall.  So I will be off to Missouri in the near future....will report on service and cost when I make the trip, which is currently contemplated for mid-March.

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 04:27:02 PM »
Doug...  hopefully you will have good weather when coming to St. Louis. This place is on a side street and it is a challenge to get the motorhome in the garage. Mine is a 40 footer and was able to maneuver to get it in with their help guiding me in. Tim is the owner and if you ask him, he will describe the process of fixing your jacks while giving you a tour of his place.  Mine were completely re-manufactured, the only original parts left are the outside tubes and the baseplates that butt against the chassis.  He also had to take the front tires off my coach to access the jacks.  So far I have had a good experience and I hope you do too.
Fred & Cindy

Doug Blake

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »
Thanks Fred, I am planning the trip for the end of March..... Agree, Tim seemed to be very straight forward and helpful.  Will post the results!