Author Topic: Heui pump problems  (Read 3042 times)

Tom Barnard

Heui pump problems
« on: February 25, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »
When I first bought my coach I took it to a local Cat dealer to have it checked out.
They immediately started telling me about the Huei pump and how problematic it is in these coaches.
I went ahead and bought the rig and so far, especially after doing the fuel filter/pump mod., I've been happy with how it runs.
The coach had about 23k on it when I bought it a year ago and now has about 30k on it.
I haven't seen it talked about much here. Is this a big issue or were they full of it?
I'm not sure of the maintenance history of the coach before we bought it, there weren't many records kept.
I have changed the oil 3x so far and will probably change every 5k from here on out.
 Coach is a 2005 Monterey with C9
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:37:40 AM by Tom Barnard »

Mike Shumack

Re: Heui pump problems
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
Tom,
The is a YouTube video series on Cat engines that is worth watching.
Here are two - but I suggest you watch them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUojErZRyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ0XYpZtl_M
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:04:50 PM »
Tom, welcome to the Caterpillar family. Let me give you some advise in a very nice way. Today
service and repair shops in most cases do not have motorhome owner best interest at heart. This also is the trend of many opions on various forums. Let’s start with your Cat C-9 engine 400 hp and
has what is called a Heui injection system ( does not have an injection pump ). Your injectors are
actuated by high pressure engine oil that is in your oil pan. No injection pump or push rods that operate the injectors. The lack of formal training on this engine operation bring many unwarranted
comments from many mechanics. This is a very excellent engine and has a very good trouble free history in caterpillar view point. The Heui injection system is used on on road and off road equipment
with many thousands of hours of trouble service. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Bryan Beamon, Jim Nichols

Tom Barnard

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:03:11 PM »
Tom, welcome to the Caterpillar family. Let me give you some advise in a very nice way. Today
service and repair shops in most cases do not have motorhome owner best interest at heart. This also is the trend of many opions on various forums. Let’s start with your Cat C-9 engine 400 hp and
has what is called a Heui injection system ( does not have an injection pump ). Your injectors are
actuated by high pressure engine oil that is in your oil pan. No injection pump or push rods that operate the injectors. The lack of formal training on this engine operation bring many unwarranted
comments from many mechanics. This is a very excellent engine and has a very good trouble free history in caterpillar view point. The Heui injection system is used on on road and off road equipment
with many thousands of hours of trouble service. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Thanks Dave,
I can't tell you how happy I am to have found you and the folks here.
I read about the fuel pump mod and it made sense to me. I talked to Holt of Sacramento about what the mod was,  and the reasoning behind it, they thought I was crazy and told me that they would not do the work period.
I found a mobile mechanic in Placerville that calls himself Catmandoo. He works primarily on Cal Fire and Logging equipment in the area.
I sent him a link to your description of the mod and he thought it was brilliant. He did it for me in a couple of hours and the difference in the way the coach runs is incredible. Thanks for the advice and to everyone here.
Tom
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
Gentleman, information posted about Caterpillar engines via. Link YouTube. Bullet proof your
cat engine. Information does not pertain to Problemic issues with Cat Heui systems as stated.
Looking up all technical bulletins pertaining the you tube video,  this does not exist ( the media
number as stated is not in the Cat System nor is the problem as stated. What I’m posting is
information that can be backed up with hard copy and can be made avaible to all members.
Mike & Tom again as stated in yesterday’s post your caterpillar engine has a very good history
many thousands of hours of trouble free service. Not going to open up any debates about factual
Technical information but want everyone to know this. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Jim Nichols, Karl Welhart, Bob Stone, LaMonte Monnell

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »
Dave, thank you, as always you are right on!
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'