Author Topic: Need some opinions on finding my Air Leak  (Read 1990 times)

Eric Palmer

Need some opinions on finding my Air Leak
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:47:14 PM »
I've been reading through as many posts as possible regarding air leaks on my 1998 Beaver Patriot Brandywine and I've done some troubleshooting. Here are the facts:

- after letting the coach sit for 24hrs, the pressure gauge reads 0psi, but the air bags haven't deflated yet. When I press the air dump button, the airbags begin to deflate. This seems to tell me that there is no leak between the last valve prior to the airbag and the airbag.
-air pressure loss while sitting whether the engine is running or not is approx 1psi/minute
-air pressure loss while driving with the coach bouncing around is approx 25psi/minute and the governor is cutting in every 1:30-2:00 minutes (a lot of cycling of the compressor).At a stop light it goes back to 1psi/minute.
-after the coach is aired up and engine shut down, and I step off the coach (I'm a big guy at 6'2" 300lbs), there is a relatively loud air leak for approx 5-10seconds and then it stops. Could this be the ride height adjuster adjusting the pressure because without my weight onboard the coach increases in height?
-I've found a small leak on one of the connections to the brake pedal actuator, but it seems very small considering the amount of pressure lose I'm experiencing.
-I have sprayed everything I can find that I think is connected to the air system and have found 2 small leaks which I have fixed. One leak was in one of the connections to the brake pedal actuator and the other was in a “T” junction. They didn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m going to lift the coach a little higher tomorrow as I just purchased a pair of 22 ton jack stands and I’ll back them up with a homemade wood stand. I’m hoping with it being a bit higher, I might be able to reach some of the more difficult areas and be more thorough with my soapy spray.
Right now I'm leaning towards a problem with the ride height adjuster.
Any suggestion would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:00:55 PM by Eric Palmer »

Lee Welbanks

Re: Need some opinions on finding my Air Leak
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »
Eric, You stepping off the coach is probably the system re-leveling. From what you have stated you have a pretty good sized air leak or leaks. Not knowing what leveling system you have I couldn't say where these might be. If you have tank water drains with cables which sometime leak, one thing you know already is that the leak(s) are not from the leveling manifolds to the air bags.
My 06 PT has a HWH system with a ton of air switches and solenoid valves and push to connect fitting that I have found leaking at times.
You just have to get in there and soap all down and see where the bubbles are, I chased one leak for a couple month before I found it.
Good hunting!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:32 AM »
Eric,
There is no easy way to find an air leak in these coaches short of taking it to a shop and paying someone else to do it. I have spent days looking for air leaks, and that is a lot of soapy water spraying. Why do you think that you have a ride height sensor problem, and switch one since you have 3 of them?

Gerald

Eric Palmer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:10:01 AM »
Thanks Lee and Gerald. Gerald, I was just guessing because of the sound of air I heard when stepping off the coach and that sound coming from where the ride height sensor is. I’ll be soaping everything down tomorrow. I’ll let you know if I find anything!