Author Topic: 2001 Beaver Contesa leveling control system testing  (Read 2016 times)

Roland DuBree

2001 Beaver Contesa leveling control system testing
« on: May 03, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
Anyone know if the Leveling Controls on the old IDS floor to axel system can be tested and how to see if controls work without hydraulic jacks installed on the coach.  Had 2 leaking jacks and dealer could not fix so all jacks removed and lines capped to allow coach use.  Like to get jacks fixed and re-installed, but before spending that money and then finding control system no good I would like to somehow test control system to see if it really works and will level the coach after fixed jacks are re-installed. Can the system be tested and how?

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: 2001 Beaver Contesa leveling control system testing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
No - without the jacks, the system cannot be tested properly.  The power to the control panel should have been disconnected so you would not accidently turn it on.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Roland DuBree

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »
Power has been off. The 2 cables from Control Boards to the brain below have been removed for some time.  According to SMC leveling manual with cables installed all is to sit for at least 12 hours and then with coach level a procedure is to be followed.  Just what does that do?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 01:37:59 AM »
Roland,
It sounds like you are reading instructions for recalibrating the leveling system. I do not understand what answers you are looking for here. If you install the cables and the system powers up, that just tells you that the controller is not totally dead, and that is good to know before repairing and reinstalling the jacks. But it does not tell you if the system will level the coach, and if the system turns on the pump while recalibrating, it can cause pump failure in a very short time with the hoses plugged, and if that happens, your living room slide will not function.

Since I would not have a coach without a leveling system, I would either decide on installing another system or have the leaking jacks fixed, and if the leveling electronics do not work, I would install the manual leveling conversion that BCS designed to repair these leveling systems when the electronic components were no longer available.

Gerald