Author Topic: Bong driving me Bonkers!  (Read 3290 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Bong driving me Bonkers!
« on: August 27, 2018, 12:11:43 AM »
When driving during the day, I will often turn on my headlights. After some length of time, the Bong thing starts Bonging; sometimes just once or a few times, other times the bong sound keeps going until I turn off the headlights. Any ideas on how to silence the Bong while using headlights?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Re: Bong driving me Bonkers!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 06:22:30 PM »
The only "bong" type noise I'm aware of is from the RVA jacks (low hydraulic fluid)  or the Tag Axle lift switch is in the Raised position. I have not heard of any type of chime/bong connected to the headlight circuit. At least not on my '05 Patriot.

Do you have the Collision Warning system (Vorad)? That could be another source of an unexpected sound.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:02:53 PM »
Don’t some coach configurations turn on a chime (sorry, but “bong” brings forth a somewhat different concept) if the headlamps are on more than a prescribed period (of seconds) when the ignition is turned off?  On some like even our old Explorer the two are light-sensored and it’s automatic on and off in dark environs.  But if I use the headlight switch manually during the day and forget, I get chimed at when I turn the ignition off.

Our coach is in hibernation so I can’t go test, but assume it’s the same.  Perhaps your ignition-headlamp warning setup is electrically compromised, such that it “thinks” your ignition is off when it’s not?  A loose ground wire somewhere inclusive of the warning device and the ignition and/or in the electrical bay would be my first suspect, Bill.  Others here might know if that specter might be associated with the Smartwheel.

Joel
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:10:08 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Guy Pryor

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »
I have a 2003 Contessa and I always drive with the lights on and when I stop and shut the engine off I always forget to turn the lights off because There is no warning buzzer like every other car I have ether a buzzer or they shut off automatically.  I have always wondered why my upscale beaver doesn't have a lights on warning  buzzer I would like to find a way to add one?. 

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
Bong, Well, its actually the turn signal 'chime' that goes off intermittently. Happened yesterday after an hour or two driving with the headlights on. No 'you left your lights on' chime when ign off, not on my coach. I don't think its a smartwheel thing, our coach has a smartwheel but I don't think that connects to the turn signal chime. Also, the low hyd fluid I think uses the 'warning' bong like comes on with low brake air pressure. Different sound. My issue is with the turn signal circuit, somehow. Turn signal chime is turned on by the headlight circuit after an indeterminate period. Hmmm
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »
Interesting problem Bill.
Is is possible that you have a short in one of the parking /turn-signal bulbs (filimanet shorted) or a wiring short the feeds power back through the "turn signal circuit" when the headlights are On? A quick walk around the coach to check all the bulbs would be an easy first check. Perhaps try and pull the flasher relay to see if that stops the "bong" (only to try to determine the circuit path and components involved).

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 02:30:24 AM »
Mike, I just replaced the flasher today and drove w/headlights on for 4+ hrs/ No 'chime' from the Beaver! We'll see if it holds!. A while back, I did pull the right brake bulb thinking the socket might have some corrosion. Socket looked brand new. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the tip of the bulb anyway. working fine.
525 hp C13