Author Topic: How to avoid B20  (Read 2712 times)

Bill Sprague

How to avoid B20
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:03:23 PM »
Do you have a strategy to avoid B20 fuel?  Yesterday I was in Oregon and had to bypass two stations before the third had #2  diesel.  I would love a phone app that would direct me to B5 or less fuel. 

Mike Shumack

Re: How to avoid B20
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
What is your concern with the B20 blend?

Form the CAT  publication SEBU6251 Maintenance Section - Fuel Specifications, CAT says B20 is approved for Tier 4 interim and Stage IIIb and beyond engines with aftertreatment devices (which covers all the "C" series engines).

Although the chart is confusing in that it also says under "All Years" ACERT engines (1) where the (1) is for "models without aftertreatment only", but then in the section for "Tier 4" it says Tier 4 Interim /Stage IIIb "with aftertreatment devices (are approved for upto B20.

I interpret this to mean that B20 is fine for engines without Aftertreatment (DPF). Meaning pre-2006 engine models.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:48:16 PM by Mike Shumack »

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »
Cat does say B20 is ok ... but I would think the Mercedes folks ( Mercedes specs B5 and only a tank of B 20 occasionally ) would have done that but I haven’t scene a “ap” for that. I’ve been out of Oregon for awhile but it was very hard to find it at the larger stations .. with the tax incentive they’ve all gone with something higher than B 5 it seems

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
Mike, I have put on the Ask Dave technical site off Caterpillar SIS information system Bio Fuel.
We were real lucky buying and owning a caterpillar engine because all there engines are rated
to allow up to B-20 Bio Fuel. Many earlier Cummins engines were along with Mercedes engine
of which Bill and myself own my engine is max bio fuel B-8  not sure what Bill’s new motorhome
Is rated for.. thanks for bring this about as lot of confusion at the fuel pumps seeing sticker on
Pump bio fuel 5 to 20 percent.  BDave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
I should have included that I'm no longer running a Cummins.  Never did run a Cat.  Beaver must have had a sweet deal with Cummins in '04!  Current motor is a Mercedes turbo 6 cylinder. In spins a lot higher.  70 mph is about 2600 RPM.  With a bit of a tailwind, we saw 15 mpg coming north on I-5 yesterday.

Mercedes is very specific about avoiding B20.  But they also say if you can't avoid it, to change oil and filters more often. 

I wish Gas Buddy had a filter to eliminate B20.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:04:10 PM »
Most sites I’ve seen link back to the same biodiesel.org site/map that lists B20 and above.  It’s mostly designed for truckers that want to save certain state taxes by running alternative fuel.  That’s fine for them since commercial trucks don’t sit idle for extended periods.  Stored or relatively inactive motor homes’ engine seals and parts are more in jeopardy from B20.

What’s needed from Biodiesel.org is a site filter for B20 and below.  It’s not that big a problem for me since as a member I only use Pacific Pride/Pioneer Fuel stations when available, and their location book and locator website have always shown which fuel types each outlet carries.  The predominance is for more B5.  I’ve stressed Pioneer Fuel’s motorhome program here many times before;  locating potential Pacific Pride outlets the night before or morning of a travel day makes life so much easier, as does the ease of access and lack of chaos, the opposite of what I’ve seen all too often at Pilot/Flying J.  An example of their locator is   http://pacificpride.com/location-search/?cards%5Bprideadvantage%5D=1&addr1=14883+se+Territory+dr%2C+Clackamas%2C+or+97015&location-count=10&showOnly=noFilter&fuels%5Bbiodieselb5%5D=1

Having been off the highways for 2 years, and only doing “yellow can” top-ups as I exercise the HyfroHot and genset, I haven’t been to Pioneer Fuel’s website for awhile and couldn’t get the Motorhome owners link there to open as it used to.  When I get help from CJ in Olympia regarding that glitch, hopefully I can supply a viable sign-up link for anyone interested.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 11:18:06 PM »
Joel,

I too was a member of Pacific Pride through Pioneer Fuel in Olympia.  It was a great for fueling the Beaver.  Always clean, usually no waiting in line and I didn't have to run in an out of the truck stops with my credit card.  I also set up an account with Associated Petroleum in Tacoma for CFN cardlock fuel stations.  I was set.

With the new smaller rig we have now, every gas station is accessible.  I can stick the credit card into any pump, fuel and go in minutes.  The dog has to hustle to the dirt or grass and back.  The only exception is when I run into B20 and get delayed by the drive through. 

Because we are now in a smaller rig, we can use GasBuddy to shop diesel prices.  We can frequently save fuel money by using smaller GasBuddy listed stations just past the big rig places.   

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 11:41:04 PM »
I reckon that’s the way to go if you’re sure you’re saving money and your coach isn’t large and harder to maneuver.  Since the PP price isn’t posted on the pump, one just has to hope it’s not high.  But experience always indicated to me that they were area-competitive, and the lack of other customers/lines was worth the risk of a few cents.  You might look for Freddie’s along your routes;  they are common enough, have decent prices, and what I’ve seen is just B5 (admittedly I don’t routinely look while getting gas).

Yes, if your Gas Buddy proffered the diesel types available like Pacific Pride’s locator does, that sure would be helpful.  You might contact GB re. providing that option.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat