Author Topic: Who has used Lexell?  (Read 3236 times)

Jason Worman

Who has used Lexell?
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

A quick question has anyone used Lexell for leaks? Tried Proflex and Dicor to seal seams around walls and roof, but still leak. Have put down Lexell, hoping for better results. One other question, what have people done to help seal around the exterior vented door of fridge, seems to a lot of water in the compartment, most of the wood is rotten. Thanks

Dwight Lakusta

Re: Who has used Lexell?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:23:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

A quick question has anyone used Lexell for leaks? Tried Proflex and Dicor to seal seams around walls and roof, but still leak. Have put down Lexell, hoping for better results. One other question, what have people done to help seal around the exterior vented door of fridge, seems to a lot of water in the compartment, most of the wood is rotten. Thanks

I always take a pail with spray nine and hot water, a scrub brush, and scrub all places i plan to proflex.... let it dry for a day, and have never had an issue. Proflex should give you the job you need, if you don't clean the surface there is nothing for it to bond to, and it will leak again!!!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43:01 AM »
Jason.
Do a Search for "Lexel" here on the Forum. There are numerous posts detailing member's comments and application recommendations
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »
If the fridge wood is wet there’s a likelihood the water ran down from roof leaks, but Lexel should work around the vented side cover edges if you see compromised sealant there.  Flowable Dacor is best for most roof seams, but like Dwight notes, the key is getting the area clean of dirt and old sealant;  to seal well, any product has to get a strong purchase on the infrastructure surface, not the crud covering it.

I use Lexel everywhere, coach or home, and for sealing outdoor electrical devices since it’s non-conductive.  It acts and applies more like silicone, but seems to be an overall better and more universal product.  Recapping the tube’s nozzle tightly is critical though, as after a month or so of storage the first inch or two of Lexel will thicken and it’s difficult to use until the more flowable stuff gets to the tip.  Then a wet finger works well for making a neat and smooth concave spread of the fresh Lexel bead, so its width grabs more adequate surface.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
Personally I hate the stuff!  When it gets on something it is there forever...almost.  For me it was very sticky and hard to work with.  Having said that I still use it sometimes because it does work.  I started using blue tape to outline where I don't want it to go.  I did the lower belt line with it on my coach using the blue tape and as long as you get the tape off before it dries it come out OK.  I use denatured alcohol before I apply any sealer now and it works well also.  So in short, hate it for it's messiness but it does a great job of sealing out water.  I use Proflex most of the time.  It seems to flow better and works just as well.  As far as the wet floor under the fridge vent.  I had that happen last year and found the ice maker line leaking.  Good luck with your issue.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jason Worman

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 04:09:05 AM »
Thank you everybody, so far so good, exterior wall is dry after heavy rain here on the coast!!